Is There A Way To See Comments On An Etrex Legend?

PastorDIC

Is there a way to see comments for a Waypoint on an Etrex Legend? The comments I add with EasyGPS are great if I am at my PC, but not much use in the field.

If I load several local waypoints, all I see is the GCGZK6, etc identifier, which is worthless unless I sort through all the paper copies of the cache pages.

Thanks for the help.

Got PDA?

Take a look at past messages talking about PDAs, Palms, Pocket PCs, and "paperless caching". Yeah, it's something else to carry, but there's a lot more information you can carry in your PDA.

Or a laptop + Pocket Queries + Watcher.

Yeah, I cache with my laptop, but I don't have to sync with or remember to keep a PDA charged.

Someone needs to make a universal Cell/PDA/GPSr with fuel cell batteries that run for months (years?) without needing a recharge ;-)

Is there a way to see comments for a Waypoint on an Etrex Legend? The comments I add with EasyGPS are great if I am at my PC, but not much use in the field.

If I load several local waypoints, all I see is the GCGZK6, etc identifier, which is worthless unless I sort through all the paper copies of the cache pages.

Thanks for the help.

No one's bothered to give you a straight answer yet. Here it is. The eTrex line of GPSs doesn't support waypoint comments.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

No one's bothered to give you a straight answer yet. Here it is. The eTrex line of GPSs doesn't support waypoint comments.

Did you read the 2nd post in the thread? If so, is it wrong?

I'd like to know before I give someone else the same non-straight answer. :ph34r:

Edited by mrkablooey

I'd like to know before I give someone else the same non-straight answer. :)

I don't think it wrong, but could use some additional info. If you want to use the cache name for a waypoint, you can put it in the comments field and "flip" it as you mentioned, but, you are still limited to the maximum length imposed by the waypoint field itself. Spinner is great for this, but for comments being used for other things like "Remember the frog theme, be sure to bring bug spray, and dry shoes and socks might be a good idea." it's not practical/possible.

Here's what I do to get the waypoint to show as a cache name in my Legend using EasyGPS.

After downloading the waypoint to computer, open the .loc file in EasyGPS.

Then highlight the waypoint (cache). Click "waypoint" in the top menu bar. Click "edit waypoint".

Then change the waypoint name to cache name. You only get 8 letters.

And fill in symbol field from list -- I use Geocache OR parking.

Then send waypoint to Etrex Legend. It will appear in Legend as cache name -- not waypoint #.

Great if you don't have alot to do.

Hope that helps.

Have have a Vista with 10 digits (Not sure what a Legend has). I use suffixes with the base geocache waypoint. For example. GC78G4 is the cache. GC78G4PRK is where I'll park my car. GC78G4trl is for the trailhead. GC78G4view is for a nearby area that may have been described as a nice place to shot a picture. etc.

I also use the associate icon.

Not a perfect system but you got to work with what you got.

I'd like to know before I give someone else the same non-straight answer. :)

Yes, I read it. It's not wrong, so much as it has nothing to do with the question asked.

Some GPSs, like my ol' GPS II+, have a comment field, in addition to the waypoint label. My Vista (like the Legend the question was about) has no comment field for waypoints.

The original poster used EasyGPS to edit the comment fields, and then uploaded the data to his GPS. Now he's wondering where that information is stored in his GPS, and how to get at it. The answer, is that his GPS doesn't support comment data and the comment data wasn't uploaded.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

Here's another suggestion about a method I started recently. First I always had printed out all the caches I'm interested in. Before I'd have to go through the batch like you to match the right one to the waypoint ID. Well, I stopped by Staples and got one of the plastic case dividers. It has about six or seven sections. I set it up so that now I file the printouts by geographic area like Manhattan, other boros, Long Island, Westchester Co., NJ, Upstate. It narrows down the search process when trying to match the waypoint to the paper.

Also, when I want to go caching, and I pick an area, I can go right to that section and quickly have the papers for all the caches in that area.

Alan

Yes, I read it. It's not wrong, so much as it has nothing to do with the question asked.

Some GPSs, like my ol' GPS II+, have a comment field, in addition to the waypoint label. My Vista (like the Legend the question was about) has no comment field for waypoints.

The original poster used EasyGPS to edit the comment fields, and then uploaded the data to his GPS. Now he's wondering where that information is stored in his GPS, and how to get at it. The answer, is that his GPS doesn't support comment data and the comment data wasn't uploaded.

I guess that's where the garmins differ from the Magellans. My SporTrak "comments" field is the cache name which is why I suggested Spinner to flip the GCxxxxx with the cache name. Therefore using Spinner to put the comments field (ie the cache name) in place of the GCxxxxx number wouldn't work in the legend?