New Caches

bluedude

You should review the U.K. Forum to see if there is a discussion about landowner permission on the particular nature reserve you are thinking about. There has been much debate about this subject in the U.K. If you are unsure about the policy, post a question in the U.K. forum or write to one of the helpful U.K. volunteer cache reviewers, Eckington or Lactodorum.

briansnat Posted on Nov 24 2003, 05:14 AM

Many of them are private (e.g. Audobon, Nature Conservancy). You should ask permission in that case. Some embrace geocaching as a way to promote their preserve and get more visitors. Others won't hear of it.

Does anybody have a sample emailable letter to use as an example when contacting Land Managers seeking permission to place a cache. I need a sure fire letter. I am about to place my first cache and I want to do it so that it's not archived. I don't want to be one of those that occasionally gives us all a bad name. I have always respected others "stuff", I guess it's not going to change.

Does anybody have a sample emailable letter to use as an example when contacting Land Managers seeking permission to place a cache. I need a sure fire letter. I am about to place my first cache and I want to do it so that it's not archived. I don't want to be one of those that occasionally gives us all a bad name. I have always respected others "stuff", I guess it's not going to change.

I don't have one, but I can tell you what to put in one. First, be as brief as possible. People, don't wan't to deal with long letters. Second, provide a short explanation of the sport. Third, explain how allowing the sport will benefit them.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll make up a letter. Stay tuned.

briansnat Posted on Nov 25 2003, 04:07 AM I don't have one, but I can tell you what to put in one. First, be as brief as possible. People, don't wan't to deal with long letters. Second, provide a short explanation of the sport. Third, explain how allowing the sport will benefit them.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll make up a letter. Stay tuned.

Should I also include mention of another cache placed in another of the entity's land holdings? If Group X holds several pieces of land and all of these lands are open for public use, and one or two have caches hidden on them but the others may not have been discovered by the caching community yet, is it safe to assume that they (Group X) already accept geocaching? I know, long sentence, but I didn't know quite how to put it without spoiling my intended plans.

Also;

ncflyers Posted on Nov 25 2003, 12:46 AM  If you place a Geocache into a quote "Nature Reserve," it really won't be a nature reserve anymore, will it?

Really, Why Not? Are we not good stewards of our lands? If not, then we need to find other hobbies.

Many of them are private (e.g. Audobon, Nature Conservancy). You should ask permission in that case. Some embrace geocaching as a way to promote their preserve and get more visitors. Others won't hear of it.

Brian: I never thought that any would ever approve caches. I've run into a lot of these areas and regretfully wrote them off my propective cache placement list. WHo do you think would be receptive? Do you know of any caches that are already placed where the permission was given?

TKs

Alan

There are Nature Reserves intended for human visitation.

A local Audubon location contains a large platform on a lake, a duck blind, and a bridge. A good section of the trails were just covered in mulch in the past week (it felt like walking on ultra plush carpet). I've seen a buck, geese, ducks, and tons of birds there. I had only heard of the site recently but it's on next year's donation list.

(The nice thing is that the local office is also on that site, so it's easy for me to visit in person.)

Over christmas vacation I'll be making trips to various places that I think would be idea for caching. This one has me interested because it's possible to make a wheelchair accessable forest cache there. There is already a ranger approved cache there, but I'm thinking a wheelchair accessable cache would be worthwhile.

But I don't plan on writing letters. I'd rather go to the offices in person and dicuss exactly what I want to do, where I want to do it, and work with them to find a solution that appeals to all of us. I'd rather the land manager knows EXACTLY what I'm placing, sees where it is, and knows what's going on.

Brian: I never thought that any would ever approve caches. I've run into a lot of these areas and regretfully wrote them off my propective cache placement list. WHo do you think would be receptive? Do you know of any caches that are already placed where the permission was given?

There is a cache (Bird Brain) on the Audobon preserve in Plainsboro NJ. It was approved by the Audobon folk and they actually contributed items for the inital placement. I've heard of several others.

I have several caches in a semi-private nature preserve. I placed them before the idea of "permission" was much of a thought in the geocaching community. As it turns out, the security personnel in this preserve are aware of the caches and actually have been known to help geocachers take the correct route. I don't think I'd ask for official approval, because I doubt I'd get it, but since the caches are being let alone, it's obvious that they don't mind. Tacit approval.