How Long Till...

Rocky Balboa

Can anyone clever calculate how long it will take at the present rate of cache placement, for there to be no more than a 0.1 mile gap between caches in England?!? perhaps its been done before, if so please point me in the right direction. I wonder what will happen when/if there are just too many caches? Will there be a limit put on it like the amount of Children people in China can have!?!

The area of Great Britain + Northern Ireland is 94,248 square mile, so with caches 0.1 miles apart there would be about 100 per square mile so 9,424,800 caches total. Since there are currently 2,586 caches that leaves room for another 9,422,214.

Last month there were 165 new caches hidden. At that rate the country would be full in another 57,104 months which would happen in the year 6,761. Worrying, isn't it?

Phew, looks like were ok after all :P But i'm still worried about the residents of Hampshire who will be drowning in Tuppaware long before the rest of the country!  :D

It's got so bad we resort to coming to Bedfordshire just for a change of scenery! :D

Tell me about it!!!!!!!

I hate you Omally..............and even more I hate you Pharasee!!!!! :D

WoodSmoke

The area of Great Britain + Northern Ireland is 94,248 square mile, so with caches 0.1 miles apart there would be about 100 per square mile so 9,424,800 caches total. Since there are currently 2,586 caches that leaves room for another 9,422,214.

Last month there were 165 new caches hidden. At that rate the country would be full in another 57,104 months which would happen in the year 6,761. Worrying, isn't it?

And that's using inefficient square packing. If we use triangular/hexagonal packing, we can get 115.47 caches per square mile, giving us a total of 10,882,816, or another 10,880,230 caches.

At 165 caches per month, that's 65,940 months, leading up to about Christmas in the year 7498.

I reckon we need to relax the 0.1 mile rule and allow caches every 0.01 miles - that'd sort us until the year 551510. Gotta be future proof - remember the Millennium Bug? :P

Phew, looks like were ok after all :D But i'm still worried about the residents of Hampshire who will be drowning in Tuppaware long before the rest of the country!  :P

It's got so bad we resort to coming to Bedfordshire just for a change of scenery! :D

Tell me about it!!!!!!!

I hate you Omally..............and even more I hate you Pharasee!!!!! :D

WoodSmoke

Admit it, Roy... you loved every minute of it :D

You were quite lucky, really. I had intended to put my cache halfway down a disused railway tunnel that was knee deep in mud. Unfortunately, the landowner refused pemission on account of the colony of bats that lived in there. :D

Edited by Pharisee
At 165 caches per month, that's 65,940 months, leading up to about Christmas in the year 7498.

I reckon we need to relax the 0.1 mile rule and allow caches every 0.01 miles - that'd sort us until the year 551510. Gotta be future proof - remember the Millennium Bug? :D

There will be NO relaxation of the 0.1 mile rule until we start running out of space. So, I suggest you contact me or Eckington at the end of 7498.

Bear in mind we're talking Xmas then, I suggest that your requests are wrapped round a bottle of nice vintage Malt (they reckon the 6949 will be a good year) and we'll see what we can do. OK?

:P:D:D

But I Dont want one in my back garden so thats only 9,422,213 :P:D

Funny, that...

*ahem* since the first post of Dan Wilson mentioned "England", I think you are all wrong.

You've read the third post by Daisy and Me which refers to Britain and the six Counties.

Since geocaching is a geographical pursuit I would suggest sticking to geographical boundaries, not political ones.

There are currently around 160 geocaches on the of Ireland, so there's plenty of room for all...

Edited by klaus23