Geogas

quote:
Originally posted by benjamin921:

Man, I was just looking at how much geogas I have been using. Ouch. Oh well, must cahce. icon_smile.gif

Gas is ~$1.35 around here.

Don't feel bad, it's worse up here in Canada.

$0.68Cdn per liter = $2.57Cdn per US Gal = $1.85 US$ per US Gal.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:
Originally posted by ShaneN4Girls:

..$70.00 on gas ...about 600 total miles

Nearly 12 cents a mile just for gas?

You're either paying too much at the pump, or you need a tune-up really bad -- or maybe a better car/truck altogether icon_smile.gif

I'm spoiled though: My Honda Insight (loaded with automatic trans, air, power windows, etc) averages 55 MPG, so I'm at under 3 cents per mile for fuel.

And my other car is a bicycle icon_smile.gif

---

LDR.

quote:
Originally posted by Lee David Rimar:

quote:

Nearly 12 cents a mile just for gas?...
It seemed much to me, also. Then I thought about it a bit more. I get pretty lousy mileage when I cache because I am usually zooming for short distances around town; not really spending much time on the open road. I've never done the math (because I'm not sure I could handle the result), but I bet I'm getting about the same mileage in my WJ.

I only get 36mpg in my Corolla on a good day. Not quite what it should get. Still with what I paid for the Corolla compaired to an Insight even at 55mpg I'm ahead of the game.

Now when I take the Bronco out and go caching my nubmers are a lot closer to sbell111's.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

icon_wink.gifIf you are enjoying geocaching--why worry how much you are spending--we usually go only to the "high clearance/4x4" caches away from town & you really need something dependable--something that will get you there & back in one piece. Of course we are also rockhounds & have always considered the cost of a 4x4 worth every penny/dollar spent! We just don't worry about the price of gas--if it comes down to that, we just will stay at home...

=======================

So many Caches & Rocks & BM's...

So little time... icon_rolleyes.gif

I don't worry about the cost of the gas either. If I'm mostly on the road, I might get 14-16 MPG in my Jeep YJ (4.0 l); if I'm in 4-low, mileage doesn't matter - I'm having fun.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

I'm getting about 32mpg in my car and just over 42 on my bike. I don't keep track of how much I use just for caching, but it's not a lot - there's a lot of caches around here and I don't have to drive much to get them.

I've been keeping track of the mileage for my car for a year, and for my motorcycle since I bought it in January.

--

Random fortune:

sigimage.php

Recently we were paying up to $2.30 per gallon. Those $40 fill ups were not nice. Now down to $1.99 for super, 1.89 for regular in Los Angeles area. This is within a mile of a large gasoline refinery. What is wrong with this picture? Super high taxes and gouging.

$25.00 to fill the tank from the week before. Began my weekend on full. 420 miles on Friday, spent another $30.00 to put a little in on the way, and fill up when home. Monday evening before beginning the work week Tuesday was another $15.00 to fill up again. My real gas cost for caching would be $45.00 for the weekend. The comment was about my wife asking why I spent $70.00 on gas that weekend.

BTW, the cache gitter is a 2002 Dodge Ram (4.7l V8) getting about 19 mpg highway/14 mpg city. It's a gas hawg, but necessary for the family and hobbies.

quote:
Originally posted by Lee David Rimar:

quote:

Nearly 12 cents a mile just for gas?

You're either paying too much at the pump, or you need a tune-up really bad -- or maybe a better car/truck altogether icon_smile.gif

I'm spoiled though: My Honda Insight (loaded with automatic trans, air, power windows, etc) averages 55 MPG, so I'm at under 3 cents per mile for fuel.

And my other car is a bicycle icon_smile.gif

---

_LDR._

Adversity is certain, misery is optional.

texasgeocaching_sm.gifntga_button.gif

quote:
Originally posted by EScout:

...Los Angeles area. This is within a mile of a large gasoline refinery.

I don't know if this is where you're talking about, but there's a Mobil station on the corner of Crenshaw and 190th in Torrance - it's on the outside edge of the Mobil refinery. That station has always had the highest prices of any station around. I just don't get it!

--

Random fortune:

sigimage.php

Supply and demand. If they are the only place providing the supply, they can demand the higher prices.

There was an investigavite review up here in the Puget Sound region about this same issue and it came down to a matter of 3 things.

Here in the Puget Sound, there are only 3 refinery suppliers for all the brands. Their territory is divided up. They price according to the following:

The higher the population around the pump, the higher the demand, the higher the price.

2. The fewer the stations, the higher the price.

3. The prices are lowered specifically to draw business to the station, then the price goes up once the business trips over a specific threshold.

The stations here are stuck with the specific supplier by contract through the brand so become hostage to the supplier setting the price.

I remember when I worked the pumps 18 years back, the profit wasn't in selling the fuel, it was in selling the snacks. The station's profits were about $.07 per gallon at best. It's probably worse now.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by ShaneN4Girls: ...It's a gas hawg, but necessary for the family and hobbies.

Is that your only transport? Or do you have something a little less expensive to operate, for when you're NOT hauling around the whole family and all of your hobby gear?

I know not everybody can afford two vehicles--but it always puzzle me when I see ONE person loading a couple bags of groceries into a huge SUV.

BTW, gas is 1.59 here today.

---

LDR.

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

quote:
Originally posted by EScout:

Recently we were paying up to $2.30 per gallon. Those $40 fill ups were not nice. Now down to $1.99 for super, 1.89 for regular in Los Angeles area.

Ha! For me to fill up on only $40, gas would have to be about 99 cents a gallon.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

Sounds like my Chevy truck, holds 42 gallons between the two tanks. The last time I used it, it took $70.00 to fill it up. I'm glad the Jeep only has a 18 gallon or so tank and gets about twice the mileage (14-18 MPG instead of 8-10)

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

The net price in Mission BC is 56.9 per litre, which works out to about $1.54 USD per US gallon

I hear it is $1.39 a gallon in Sumas/Lynden WA, which is about 51.4 per litre, pretty cheap

I get 34.5 miles per IMPERIAL Gallon in my 1994 Suzuki Sidekick 4 door, and that includes the 4-low and 4-hi driving I do

canadazuuk