Don't Forget To Vote!

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Hmmm... our Ameri-centro-ness is showing again. Remember that this wonderful hobby of ours is not just a US thingy.

That being said, Vote.

So maybe today is the day to stage a coup. Either way your government is your responsibility. So do something or you can't ***** later. For example I didn't vote for Bush, but I've been having the time of my life politicaly for a year now. Anyways didn't we already have a thread on Ameri-centor-ness? icon_cool.gif

[This message was edited by Freelens on November 05, 2002 at 08:38 AM.]

Since we are on this topic... I was just wondering am I the only one in the US (or anywhere for that matter) that will be glued to the TV tonight. I am leaving now (12:00 noon) to get a twelve pack some popcorn maybe some chips and dip. I am doing it this early in-case my truck breaks down I will have plenty of time to get home for the coverage. I cleaned off my recliner last night and set up all four tvs I have, in one spot so I can watch all the major networks at the same time. I got out my clip board and spare legal pads for notes. I put fresh battery's in my am/fm shortwave radio in-case the power goes out. I have alerted all Friends and family I will not be answering my phone unless I get a call from a certain party's National headquarters. Man to me this is bigger than the Super-bowl. Anyone else out there like me? If so maybe we can chat else where were it is more appropriate. Oh Ya GO VOTE. Even if you vote for the wrong person or party this America and you have a right to your opinion even if its wrong. icon_biggrin.gif

www.ManuelCasillas.com

I must humbly and respectfully disagree with my fellow American geocachers here.

Do NOT vote.

Instead - EDUCATE YOURSELF - then vote. Take time to understand the issues and candidates you are voting on. Watching a few TV commercials does not make you an educated voter. Voting without understanding is, IMHO, worse than not voting at all.

Sorry all ... rant off.

quote:
Originally posted by Freelens:

Anyways didn't we already have a thread on Ameri-centor-ness? icon_cool.gif

[This message was edited by Freelens on November 05, 2002 at 08:38 AM.]

Obviously, not. It would already have been Markwelled by now.

BTW, Markwelling is a good thing, as it allows the curious to get the answers they so desire when they desire them.

"A good compromise leaves everybody mad." - Calvin

Voting is not a duty. It IS a right, and thankfully one that we are FREE TO IGNORE. Saddam Hussein was recently VOTED back into office with 100% of the votes because people are compelled to show up and cast a ballot.

If you're an American, be thankful we live in a country where we are free to NOT vote, and that things work reasonably well anyway. Apathy is as much a right as election participation.

I vote in every election.

"Everybody wants to save the world, but nobody wants to help mom with the dishes," -P.J. O'Rourke

quote:
Originally posted by chillas:

I must humbly and respectfully disagree with my fellow American geocachers here.

Do NOT vote.

Instead - EDUCATE YOURSELF - then vote. Take time to understand the issues and candidates you are voting on. Watching a few TV commercials does not make you an educated voter. Voting without understanding is, IMHO, worse than not voting at all.

Sorry all ... rant off.

My opinion:

DO NOT VOTE!

I would be very happy if no one else in the country voted. I do vote, and if no one else did I would get my way every time.

1 incumbant governor who happens to be the presidents brother running against some guy nobody even heard of 2 months ago.1 State senator, Rep., running unapposed, one state rep, Rep. running against 1 guy in the green party. Smoking in restaurants, yes/no..,.and my personal favorite, a constitutional amendment making it illegal to put a pregnant sow in a pen in which it can't turn around. Not much study need on any of this but it was fun to take off work and color in the little ovals. icon_cool.gif

quote:
...am I the only one in the US (or anywhere for that matter) that will be glued to the TV tonight.

I watched election results for awhile (with popcorn, BTW) but it got boring quick. The only race outside of my voting area that I was interested in was called way early. It was one that actually garnered national attention (Chocola v. Long-Thompson). On a local level, we had some very interesting and hotly contested races but unfortunately our little hole-in-the-wall county doesn't even merit coverage from the nearest TV stations. This is a county that has the weatherman consistantly standing in front of it during the look at the weather maps. icon_rolleyes.gif Of course being a largely Amish community, I guess the argument could be made that most of here don't even have a TV...

I tried looking up results online but that failed also. I'm going to bed and will check the paper in the morning...

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.

quote:
If ya don't vote........DON'T COMPLAIN!

I don't vote but I'm allowed to complain. Why vote when there isn't one worthwhile person running? Am I supposed to be happy by picking the person that is dishonest but not as dishonest as the other guy? It doesn't matter which moron gets into office, they are gonna mess something up.

quote:
I don't vote but I'm allowed to complain. Why vote when there isn't one worthwhile person running? Am I supposed to be happy by picking the person that is dishonest but not as dishonest as the other guy? It doesn't matter which moron gets into office, they are gonna mess something up.

Let me rephrase that........

If ya don't vote...QUIT WHINING

It's not about the mistakes we make, it's about what we learn from them....

quote:
Originally posted by pbarr86:

quote:
If ya don't vote........DON'T COMPLAIN!

No, you are not allowed to complain if you don't vote. It's the law...or at least it will be now that the 'publicans run everything.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave54:

and California's version of wacky ballot propositions:

Should it be illegal to sell non-organically grown coffee in Berkeley?

Berkeley's Measure O failed by a 71-29% margin. You might say the proponents got roasted on the issue. I posted this just to perk up the thread, but I fear I am just brewing up bad puns. icon_wink.gif

On a semi-related side note -- Biggs, CA rejected an offer by the Milk Advisory Board to rename the city "Got Milk?" in exchange for cash and donations. Biggs is a small farming community (pop. 1800) in the Sacramento Valley.

quote:
Originally posted by manuelcasi: Man to me this is bigger than the Super-bowl. Anyone else out there like me? If so maybe we can chat else where were it is more appropriate. Oh Ya GO VOTE. Even if you vote for the wrong person or party this America and you have a right to your opinion even if its wrong. icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.ManuelCasillas.com

I'm the same way, it's funny you mentioned it's like the super bowl to you, I told my wife the same thing last night when I was being accused of ignoring her. Not a big fan of CNN but they have a much better website than the rest of the networks, you could actually choose the races that you wanted to watch and it would put an up to date "scoreboard" as the results came in.

-------------------------------------------------

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne