Newbie addiction

HartClimbs

Question for all you experienced folks out there: is it possible to get addicted to geocaching? >grin<.

Seriously - this is a blast. We've logged our 10th find since first starting New Year's day and it's a great excuse for getting the kids out hiking (although I've found the hunting goes faster when I'm going alone!).

My wife's been an unbelievable sport - we actually started on January 1st in the pouring rain - finding a cache just around the corner from our house.

Just wanted to share my excitement!

- Hart icon_rolleyes.gif

As any experienced geocacher will tell you, we can stop anytime. It is not an addiction. It is just something that consumes your time, thoughts, car, poskets, etc. But WE can stop anytime. Other things have become less important. But we CAN stop anytime. It affects where you go on vacation. But we can STOP anytime. It frequently affects my free time and my trip home from work. But we can stop ANYTIME. If affects my purchases in that I would not have my pocket PC if it weren't for geocaching. BUT WE CAN STOP ANYTIME!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

It gets me out doors, I see neat parts of the country I would not have gone to, I have fun. If I am addicted, then keep the 12 step programs away.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

You mean like this one?

icon_eek.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

I just love getting my clothes ripped on thorns and having to clean cockleburs from my car seats.

I like pulling my soaking fanny pack from a creek in the dark after a two hour search to find it.

I like having to hang around a cache waiting for non-cachers to go away so I can dig through it just to leave my little stamp.

I like driving to a location with much effort and learning that I need to go back and come in from a different direction miles away.

I like falling knee deep in mud and ripping my fingers on hidden sharp objects while trying to get out.

I'm NOT addicted, now get out from between me and that cache!!!

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

[This message was edited by poksal on January 12, 2003 at 08:20 AM.]

Your question should best be addressed by CCCooperAgency and BruceS. They currently are the leading Geocachers according to the http://www/insidecorner.com/geocaching/ site. You should ask them. CCCooperAgency currently has found 1752 and has hidden 188 caches. When considering the total number of 1940 caches she finds or hides an average of 3.25 caches per day, every day of the year despite rain, sleet, snow, or sun. Today she bagged 23 caches.

Zinnware

[This message was edited by zinnware on January 11, 2003 at 07:18 PM.]

Pouring rain, my wife and both kids tromping through the woods in Mississippi. No idea where to go except by the GPSr. We reached a low spot in the trail that was quickly changing from a creek to a river. We had to stop and they were disappointed.

Later we searched at a boat launch in the dark with only one flashlight and four people. The cache was ruined but we found it. THEY LOVED IT!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Fair winds, Capn Skully

Well, my first cache was Feb, 28, 2002. I should be over 400 by then...got 365 now. If I go to Bremerton hit 25-30 in a day, maybe 500 will be in reach by then. We'll see. Yeah, I'm addicted. I don't even fish any more it seems adn I'm an avid fisherman! I did go deer hunting last year, but of course, I made sure I found a few caches on the way and back.

I guess when I start calling out of work to be the first to find a cache I'll seek help!!!!

You could call it an addiction but its much better to be addicted to Caching then to crack or the Tv even.....

Don't feel bad if your thoughts are comsumed by this game, its healthy and when your friends ask you to come over to drink beers, beeech about there life and watch the tube, know that you have better things to do!!!!

so get out there and find your next Cache!

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376