Purple Heart Equivalent?

Okay, during a HUGE gathering this past weekend in South East Texas I noticed several cachers were injured to various degrees. When questioned about their injuries and how they came about they nearly all turned out to have happened during cacheing activities... One had a broken arm due to slipping down a slope during cache maintenance of one of his own caches; one had a twisted ankle from hunting a cache, another had a black eye from being dropped to the ground on his head from his dad's lap while dad was attending a caching event....lol (although, his mother thought this was also partly my fault for some reason as I was sitting right beside them when it happened...). So, I thought maybe we could come up with an award that mimics the military's Purple Heart in intent only, I do not suggest we copy such a prestigious award nor to belittle it in ANY way (my own father had one from Viet Nam).

I thought we could come up with a patch, or button that must be awarded, not purchased or traded, that a cacher could wear after having been injured while conducting caching activities. I think it only prudent that a nomination would have to be made of the cacher with their injuries listed, and getting scratches while bushwacking or a little poison ivy simply wouldn't qualify. I have no idea who would look over the nominations and decide, but that's what this is for, to solicit suggestions on how we could do this.

So, suggestions, ideas, artwork for possible awards, procedures, rules, guidelines.... ARRRRRRGGGHHHHH.

My fingers are hurting from typing so much, and this is technically a "caching" activity...hmmmmmmm..... icon_biggrin.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I'd have a chestful!

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

Hehehe, (stand by for OLD joke here) If ya had a chest....LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I think this is a great idea for the "above and beyond" the call of type of thing. Well - I can say that - I don't have to be involved in the logistics of setting it up!

But I already do have a nomination! One of our local cachers was injured this last weekend while placing a cache. And after a trip to the emergency room for stitches in the head and setting a broken arm - she went back to finish placing the cache! Hospital gown and all! This link should take you to the cache page Be sure to look at the picture!

Our hats are off to you Mrs. Pokey Puppie!

"Geocaching expands your horizons - not your butt!"

I nominate drat19 for this award. Check out his June 8 log here

"Following animal paths may make the bushwacking a little easier, but probably won't pay off in the long run, since deer tend not to geocache much." - Geocacher Peeve on the Vaught Ranch Bushwackin Fun (B.D. #2) cache

quote:
One had a broken arm due to slipping down a slope during cache maintenance of one of his own caches;

I would nominate the broken arm guy, but he told me since the accident he has not gone geocaching. Now, a real geocacher would break his arm, find a cache in the area, log it with the broken arm, and then go to the hospital.

Now the big question is what should this award be named:

My vote is for "The Callus Cacher Award" (the geocacher who is tough like a callus)

Good Luck Cache Baggers

- Paul Ag