Fight Terrorism...

...turn off your T.V.

Anybody else get the feeling that the media's role has become feeding abject fear and paranoia?

Hours and hours of news filled with no real information - rampant speculation and rumor mongering. (Although I thought I saw a picture of Geraldo geocaching in Afghanistan?)

I just hope our troops come home soon.

"If someone did you a favor - something big, something you couldn't do on your own, and instead of paying it back, you paid it forward to three people...and the next day they each paid it forward to three more...and the day after that, those 27 people each paid it forward to another three...and each day, everyone in turn paid it forward to three more people...in two weeks, that comes to 4,782,969 people." - Pay It Forward

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

Anybody else get the feeling that the media's role has become feeding abject fear and paranoia?

Well, we thought we were alone in that thinking. Spent the day recovering from a nasty bug that has had me down for a week. Tracy was home as well, and every news outlet interrupted programming at the same time, with the almost identical story, and they droned on for several hours.

Usually, I love good news coverage, but the last several years, instead of breaking with a story, then moving on, it seems the news outlets have become obsessed with staying on the air and repeating the same info relentlessly, only slowing down long enough to have some expert speculate. When is this crap going to end?

Before this gets locked down, I'll add my thoughts. The media just LIVES for this kind of thing. It's gotten so that even when you're out of the house they won't let your mind have a rest. I was in a store today and there on a TV was more speculation and a hazy green glow. Yippee.

The sad thing is that a lot of people can't get enough of it, even if there's really very little substance in the "reporting". I'm looking at other sources (outside of the country) for my news.

----------------------------------------------------------

Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore,

You will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea.

I'm watching off and on out of the corner of my eye, primarily because it's history in the making.

No I'm not siting on the edge of my seat with baited breath, but I'm also not going to turn it off and miss a historical moment. I can give it just enough attention to witness something important, while focusing most of my attention on other important things to do around the house.

I haven't noticed any "feeding abject fear and paranoia", and the media doesn't have much choice but to speculate when they can only get little teasers of information of what's going on. But it's a lot better than sacked on the couch watching somem mind numbing sitcom and munching potato chips.

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

I haven't noticed any "feeding abject fear and paranoia", and the media doesn't have much choice but to speculate when they can only get little teasers of information of what's going on. But it's a lot better than sacked on the couch watching somem mind numbing sitcom and munching potato chips.

Although I don't disagree with the "feeding fear and paranoia" phrase, I also didn't notice anything that great on television that I'm now missing.... LOL. With most of the so called "stars" of our movies and tv shows showing their butts every time they've opened their mouths lately, I quit watching most of their lousy shows anyway.

So I actually welcome seeing my friends and former comrades in the desert, brings back old memories of a comaraderie most will never know nor understand. I saw my old unit loading up on buses and moving out at Fort Hood by watching the coverage, lots of friends heading out. Another time I spotted a fellow I used to serve with now commanding a tank battalion and they're right up front. I'm not watching to see bombs go off, I'm watching for glimpses like that. Yes, I miss it, but no, I'm not sitting around wishing I was there with them. My time in the military is over, I retired, but I'm with them in spirit and wish them the best.

Vive la coverage!!! Keep it coming!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.