Given two points. . .

dude, it's all about the pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the length of the hypotenuse equals the square root of the sum of the squares of the two other sides.

how does this apply to your question? let's say you have two points. first, take the horizontal components (the longitude values) and subtract the smaller from the bigger to get the difference. now do the same with the vertical components (latitude values).

when you do that, you will have the horizonal distance between the two points, and the vertical distance between the two points.

so, in a sense, we have two sides of a triangle. to obtain the third line of the triangle (the straight-line distance between the two points), just plug the two values we have into the pythagorean theorem like so:

d = square root of ( (horizonatal dist)^2 + (vertical dist)^2 )

where d is the straight-line distance.

Note: "^2" means "squared"

hope this helps

"Balance is for men who learn to know!" -Ween

Topo maps are my thing. I have a map with lat/lon at the corners. I get a cache location that seems to be in the section of the map between the labeled corners, but I don't know how to place the spot on the map given the cache location and the coordinates of the reference corners.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

OK, given two sets of coordinates, can anyone give me a formula to determine the BEARING from point A to point B? Yeah, I know I can use my GPSr, but I want to put it into my Access database.

I've done it in Access, but it ain't pretty - and it's a work hog.

BTW - the pythagorean works fine for short distances, but it assumes a flat earth.

Webling, e-mail me and I'll give you the formulas.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
how does this apply to your question? let's say you have two points. first, take the horizontal components (the longitude values) and subtract the smaller from the bigger to get the difference. now do the same with the vertical components (latitude values).

This will work accurately only at the equator icon_smile.gif

The reason is that 1 minute of latitude always equals 1 nautical mile, but 1 minute of LONGITUDE can be much LESS than 1 nautical mile ... it gets smaller as you move from the equator toward the poles.

So, to find an accurate distance between any two points, we have to figure out the distance associated with a degree of longitude at the origin and destination points. For reasonable accuracy we can use the average of the two.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

OK, given two sets of coordinates, can anyone give me a formula to determine the BEARING from point A to point B?

Webling, e-mail me and I'll give you the formulas.

Thanks, Markwell! Got your email, and have more or less incorporated it into my database.

The web page mcdefjef referenced was very helpful, too.

ntga_button.gifweb-lingbutton.gif

If the points are in the same general area, it's easy. Switch to UTM coordinates, which present locations as linear offsets from specific reference points. You can find the difference between the northing and easting coordinates, which gives you two legs of a right triangle, then use the Pythagorean theorem as someone suggested. If you are uncomfortable with metric measures, just convert after you are done. (The measurements, that is, and not your personal belief system.) If the points are close but on either side of a UTM zone division, check maps to find the eastings of the borders, and that should let you determine the difference.