How long must a "newbie" wear the title?

I have read many a post about how newbies mess up logging of travel bugs, get lost etc. etc. Just wondering if anyone can provide a picture of said newbie since I've yet to run across one while geocaching. Maybe its because I've only been doing it for a couple of months though..LOL icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Huntforit:

I have read many a post about how newbies mess up logging of travel bugs, get lost etc. etc. Just wondering if anyone can provide a picture of said newbie since I've yet to run across one while geocaching. Maybe its because I've only been doing it for a couple of months though..LOL icon_smile.gif

Actually, there are no restrictions, you can wear the title as loooooong as you want...lol.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

don't wear it at all if you don't want.

by the time i had heard of geocaching, i had despaired of ever getting other people to play my "find the hidden box" clue and puzzle and map games. so i felt less like a newbie than ome at last.

besides, it ain't no badge of shame. some of our newbiew here are some of our most skilled players.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

I realized that I wasn't a newbie when I noticed that I was answering more questions than asking. You'll feel it when you get there. In the meantime, don't worry about it as you are already more experienced than those who started geocaching after you.

quote:
Originally posted by clearpath:

Generally, a newbie title last one year. Or, to put it another way, after your one year anniversary, you can shed the moniker. I have 5 months, 19 days, 13 hours, 25 min. and 32 secs. to graduation. icon_cool.gif

Clearpath,

I have to respectfully disagree with you. You have almost as many finds in 7 months as I have in 2 and a half years. I would say that you're no longer a newbie when you go out on a cache hunt expecting it to be there as opposed to being unsure whether it's some elaborate joke played on by your closest friend. icon_wink.gif

Our first cache hunt, I kept expecting Candid Camera to jump out of the bushes yelling, "SMILE!" It was one of those lightbulb moments that said, wow, this is really cool and it's for real. I figured I wasn't a newbie on about the fifth cache hunt when we hiked 6.4 miles, did five stream crossings, of which my son fell in twice and just flopped in the last two times, and still came out with smiles on our faces. We were seasoned veterans at that time. icon_biggrin.gif

I think the newbie title is determined more by experience than actual time, much like how you mature. I've known many adults who weren't very mature and some children who were very mature. I'd say you've graduated.

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Since caching has not been around for very long, there are no newbies and there are no veterans.

Good point.

On a similar note, at the recent Maryland Geocaching Society picnic, I was surprised at how the cachers with several hundred finds were just as cool to those with maybe 10 or 20. It's rare to find that sort of thing anymore.

~robert

quote:
Originally posted by Lerch:

I say your no longer a newbie once you do a super hard multi cache and complete it. I just did a multi that took me eight hours to complete. I learned from all my mistakes and I'll put them to good use on my next cache.

Well, if that's what it takes to not be a newbie, then I'll be a newbie forever, because that's just crazy.

I tend to agree with the answering more questions than asking theory... The point of being a newby is because you don't know what you're doing... If you're answering questions and finding caches, then you're well in the game.

quote:
Originally posted by fly46:

quote:
Originally posted by Lerch:

I say your no longer a newbie once you do a super hard multi cache and complete it. I just did a multi that took me eight hours to complete. I learned from all my mistakes and I'll put them to good use on my next cache.

Well, if that's what it takes to not be a newbie, then I'll be a newbie forever, because that's just crazy.

I tend to agree with the answering more questions than asking theory... The point of being a newby is because you don't know what you're doing... If you're answering questions and finding caches, then you're well in the game.

All I'm saying is that if you've found a 4/4 or a 5/5 cache and it kicked your A$$ in the process your not a newbie anymore. As far asking questions all the time goes.......Smart people ask questions. How do you thunk they got that way?

I'd say you're no longer a newbie as soon as you develop what many call "cache sense". Cache sense is the thing that tells you exactly where the cache is as soon as you get within 50 to 100 feet of the cache.

This can take between 10 and 50 finds for most people. Some never develop it and the most experienced geocachers lose it from time to time.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 01, 2003 at 01:24 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I'd say you're no longer a newbie as soon as you develop what many call "cache sense". Cache sense is the thing that tells you exactly where the cache is as soon as you get within 50 to 100 feet of the cache.

LOL...I'd say that's an excellent measure. Sometimes, however, even the most savvy cacher loses the force and is still fumbling around like a newbie. icon_biggrin.gif

--CoronaKid

I think it should lie on a number (finds or a date). Like BrianSnat stated, even expereinced cachers can lose that cache sense from time to time. People have their off days.

Not sure how this forum software works, but I know my message borad software and a couple others lets you have different "pips" set up underneath the avatar. They are mainly set up for the amount of messages, but I would imagine that one that knows how to manipulate the code (Jeremy) could set it up with the total number of finds. They also have group names, so Newbie could be the first one until an "X" amount of finds are found and then they go up to the next group name and so on.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

In your case, you must wear the title until you stop listing the contents of a new Geocache you started. icon_wink.gif

It's like love, grasshopper, you will know it when the real thing comes along.

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

I'm a newbie and proud of it! My Mer. Plat. tracks looks like that but I refuse to clear it until its full. I'm going to roll the tripometer over too, so far I have 4317 miles on it. I have gone up a notch though, I finally have an avatar.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

This can take between 10 and 50 finds for most people. Some never develop it and the most experienced geocachers lose it from time to time.

If that is the case, my seven year old is a vetran after about 3 finds. He learned to spot potential cache locations real early, after 30+ finds in six months he is starting to find it "boring" when we go for the park & grabs.

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 01, 2003 at 01:24 PM.]

Well...we don't have one year just yet....but we started believing we weren't quite newbies yet after doing several difficult multi's or long hike hides. Then, after hiding a couple of "Challenge" caches that stumped some of the veteran cachers around...I really felt I'd graduated. I guess it's a matter of experience...sorta like what was already stated.

If God is your co-pilot, it's time to change seats!!!

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

quote:
Huntforit wrote:

How long must a "newbie" wear the title?

Who cares? And why? Does it make anyone better or worse than anyone else? Is this some measurement to see who has the highest testosterone levels? Is the term 'newbie' supposed to make new people to this activity feel inferior? If I have 150 finds does it make me better than someone with 50?

This activity has not been around for very long -- there are no 'newbies' and there are no veterans.

This labelling is all about ego folks, recognize it for what it is and you'll see how stupid it is.

This topic comes up all too often. Some topics have a purpose. Some topics matter. This isn't one of them.

Jomarac5 said....

"This labelling is all about ego folks, recognize it for what it is and you'll see how stupid it is.

This topic comes up all too often. Some topics have a purpose. Some topics matter. This isn't one of them."

Are you having a BAD day? I think it's a GREAT topic as do others. If you don't like it, don't read it.

P.S. You should probably live by your picture you have posted. icon_smile.gif