Who Saw 60 min?

I didn't see it but someone at my wife's work saw it and told my wife about some terrorist scenario where a gps unit is used to trigger a bomb. Basically, the gps would be attached to some kind of bomb and then shipped to the US through the ports. When my wife tried to explain that a gps unit would not work very well inside a package she got met with "that's what the people on TV said". Did anyone see the episode?

george

1. Battery power

2. Container difficult to maintain lock.

3. Too inaccurate. Once false read would detonate too early (or not at all).

Seems like someone stayed up too late one night dreaming up a filler story.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak Lackey and Geopuppet

the 60 minutes story was about container shipping. How 2% of them are opened and checked.

They did not go into the gps details but one could easily envision a dirty atomic bomb assembled in a foreign land and the whole container shipped to Newark for off loading. The GPS for detonation could easily ride near the top of the container with an antennea mounted on the upper surface of the box. Surround it with Nike tennis shoes.

Could easily be done. The terrorist could set it off in the comfort of their home with tracking software that showed it was in port, (or on the GW bridge).They did not go into detail as to how easy it would be to make a dirty bomb with TNT surrounding some fissionable material. It blows up and the port of Newark is unusable for around 50,000 years. This would arrest our economy big time. Our entire economy relies on container transport. If we dissallowed it the economy is toast. If we searched every box our economy is toast.

1.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Morrison WaylandersMA:

It blows up and the port of Newark is unusable for around 50,000 years.

Couldn't you at least blow it up a little bit farther from my house? icon_frown.gif That would really ruin my local caches for about the next 50,000 years.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Morrison WaylandersMA:

It blows up and the port of Newark is unusable for around 50,000 years.

Couldn't you at least blow it up a little bit farther from my house? icon_frown.gif That would really ruin my local caches for about the next 50,000 years.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

K.I.S.S.

1. Set the trigger on the door. If it gets opened for inspection then ...BOOM. If the container gets to it's destination and is openend BOOM

2. Time how long it should take to get the container to the destination and then set your timer, close the door and ship. Tick Tick Tick BOOM

(P.S. I'm NOT a terrorist, just a Tom Clancy fan icon_smile.gif )

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

K.I.S.S.

1. Set the trigger on the door. If it gets opened for inspection then ...BOOM. If the container gets to it's destination and is openend BOOM

2. Time how long it should take to get the container to the destination and then set your timer, close the door and ship. Tick Tick Tick BOOM

(P.S. I'm NOT a terrorist, just a Tom Clancy fan icon_smile.gif )

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

It's feasable. They are not talking about our GPSR's, but a GPS that gives an alarm when it arrives at it's destination... oh wait mine already does that when it's close.

This is more doable than it first seems. I am ever so glad that Terrorism 101 is taught on our public TV stations. You don't need the Anarchist Handbook, you just need to watch the American News. "In todays news, a pipe bomb was detonated at a remote location by the bomb squad. Here is the parts list for the bomb, you can buy these at the local hardware store." Had this bomb been dropped in the intake at the nuclear plant, Chernobil would have seemed like a walk in the park."

Yeah, just trust your own Agent Orange spraying, Homeless people drug testing, $400 toilet seat buying, 13 Billion dollar surplus for the airline industry that they won't force them to use to install new security devices, gub'mint! Blind faith is the best faith!

People, shows about dams and power plants are educational and informative. This whole element of distrust and fear is silly. If someone wants to kill you, they will. It's that farking simple.

Terrorists aren't monitoring our news casts and PBS specials to learn how to blow up a dam, they'll just hijack a greyhound bus and plow it into a building. Again, go ask the Israelis...they've done such a wonderful job of stifling terrorism by not having PBS specials about dams and bridges. icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah, just trust your own Agent Orange spraying, Homeless people drug testing, $400 toilet seat buying, 13 Billion dollar surplus for the airline industry that they won't force them to use to install new security devices, gub'mint! Blind faith is the best faith!

People, shows about dams and power plants are educational and informative. This whole element of distrust and fear is silly. If someone wants to kill you, they will. It's that farking simple.

Terrorists aren't monitoring our news casts and PBS specials to learn how to blow up a dam, they'll just hijack a greyhound bus and plow it into a building. Again, go ask the Israelis...they've done such a wonderful job of stifling terrorism by not having PBS specials about dams and bridges. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm pretty sure they(terorists) have all the ideas they need, and they don't come from American media. I doubt they got he idea of flying 757's into buildings from watching the nightly news. Whoever said they were stupid were wrong! They accomplished with 20 people and our own airplanes, what an entire military couldn't have accomplished. We have defenses built to protect against military forces, not terrorist forces. Don't worry, they already have GPS receivers and have already been trying to figure out how to use them as a weapon. Look at Israel. "Low tech" suicide bombers can not be stopped by any level of military defense.

7871_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

1. Battery power

A couple of marine batteries should run this thing for weeks. It might not be pretty, but marine batteries will easily fit in a 40 foot wide cargo container.

quote:

2. Container difficult to maintain lock.

Use a remote antenna. Cut a small hole in the top of the container, and replace the metal with plexiglass. Add a thin coating of paint to match the finish. Then, you will probably have more signal than I do when I use my GPS in my van.

If another container is on top, then you will not have any signal. But in this case you are still on the boat and should not detonate anyways. When those boats are unloaded, your container WILL have a clear view of the sky for a least a few minutes.

quote:

3. Too inaccurate. Once false read would detonate too early (or not at all).

Have a processor (a PIC would do) read the NMEA strings. When you get readings over the range of a minute close to your target, go boom.

In short, it would not be something that you could do in five minutes, but I could rig up something pretty reliable in a few days if I had the money and equipment. I know absolutely nothing about explosives, but I do know processors and GPS.

It's as simple as a modified Garmin GPS 12, All you need is some explosive tainted with uranium, and turn the GPS into a grenade.

Technology is great, but it can delete US from this life.

I have had very uneasy fealings of the world before 911, and find it is more so now.

Geocaching: what is that? it is something to help us deal with issues in this world today. What I mean is that we are not high ranking officials, but Geocaching is one way to cope with problems of today.

Ab znggre jung bhe oryvrsf ner, jr arrq n havgrq cenlre, gb uryc punatr gur urnegf bs gur rivy barf.

My home page about GPS units and information

5_Rubik.gif