Geocache placement permissions

spyder8

hi -

just started, and it is fun icon_smile.gif

However, after our last find...I was wondering about how the caches are really being placed ?

Are folks putting them in their local area without "official" permission as dictated by the Geospeak agreement ????

To me, it would seem very "difficult" to get some "agency person" to allow the placement -

ie - some of my first couple of finds....

- cache on local univ property

- cache on local Forest Preserve property

- cache on community park property

just wondering - if folks are really going thru the hassle of even attempting to get "permission"

Back in the very early days (2001), I think cachers were very casual about getting permission, if at all. However as the sport has grown, and some of the controversies on some cache locations, the importance of obtaining permission has grown.

With my most recent cache it took a couple of weeks to determine who the property actually belonged to and then locate the person who had the authority to approve a cache placement.

This took a little time, but in the long run it is good for public relations.

A little OT here, but it pertains. If in doubt as to who owns the land, take your map into your local county assessor and have them look at the tax roll to determine who the owner is. All property must have a tax id number, however it is used. From my knowledge, the information is public and can be accessed by the public for no charge.

Another avenue is to contact the local title/abstract company, they also have that information, but please uderstand that they are running a business and may not have time to get it done right away.

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unknown

Some jurisdictions require permission and where they do, people do obtain permission before placing a cache. Permission is also always required to place a cache on private property.

But many people have the attitude that if geocaching isn't expressly regulated, or prohibited on public land, then why would permission be necessary. People don't ask permission to ride their bike in a park. Hunters don't ask permission to erect tree stands, or blinds. Backpackers don't ask permission to pitch a tent. So why would placing a cache be any different?

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Excellent point BrianSnat.

It does beg the question of liablity and envirnomental damage, but the same can be argued for the other activities. For the sake of arguement, the activities that you listed are activities and not placement of items. Tree stands can be considered perminant, but they can also be considered temporary.

Admins, what is your take on this thought?

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by ps56k:

just wondering - if folks are really going thru the hassle of even attempting to get "permission"

Even though most of the forests are privately owned, in Finland we have this thing called the public right of access, which gives all Finns access to forests regardless of who owns the forest. Anybody can go to a private forest to hike, pick mushrooms and berries without needing a special permit. That applies of course to geocaching too. So I guess these situations where it's mandatory to get a permission to place a cache are quite rare.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

quote:
Originally posted by Divine:

Even though most of the forests are privately owned, in Finland we have this thing called http://www.metsakeskus.fi/pk/fine_jokamies_e.html, which gives all Finns access to forests regardless of who owns the forest.

That's really cool, especially the part about being able to camp on somebody's land for a day or two. No campfires though.

You may have a bit of trouble with this part:

quote:

Rubbish or refuse must not be left to spoil the landscape or to harm nature. A person guilty of littering is obliged to tidy up the area littered.

But if you hide them well, they won't appear as litter, and if it's discovered, you just go tidy it up icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by cachew nut on October 21, 2003 at 06:59 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

No campfires though.

...without landowner's permission.icon_smile.gif

quote:
You may have a bit of trouble with this part:

quote:

Rubbish or refuse must not be left to spoil the landscape or to harm nature. A person guilty of littering is obliged to tidy up the area littered.

But if you hide them well, they won't appear as litter, and if it's discovered, you just go tidy it up icon_smile.gif

Like discussed here many times, a container left in the forest that is having coordinates, an owner, visitors and a webpage is hardly rubbish or refuse. I recently gave an interview on geocaching and CITO to a magazine called Suomen Luonto (Finland's Nature), and the reporter confroted me about geocaching equalling taking junk to the woods. I said to her the same as I mentioned above, and they seemed happy with the answer. The story will come out at December's issue.

quote:
in Finland we have this thing called http://www.metsakeskus.fi/pk/fine_jokamies_e.html, which gives all Finns access to forests regardless of who owns the forest.

Oh how I wish I lived in Finland! I hate private forests!!

I also hate forests that, during certain times of the year, if you're caught in one without an ugly orange jumpsuit on, someone might accidentally shoot you...

Grumble grumble...

Stupid drunk hunters...

;)

--Tree

(o< -!!

//  Never laugh at live

V_/_  penguins.

quote:
Originally posted by MillenniumTree and Mist:

I also hate forests that, during certain times of the year, if you're caught in one without an ugly orange jumpsuit on, someone might accidentally shoot you...

Grumble grumble...

Stupid drunk hunters...

Well, that can't necessarily be avoided here either.icon_frown.gif

It just seems to me, that after dragging around the western suburbs of Chicago, there appears to only be a few placement opportunities :

- local forest preserve, state park, etc

- local municipal park or land area

- * private corporate campus or land area

- * private residential, farm, or land area

- national forest

- ?? - what else is there ?

I have also encountered some "no trespassing" signs in the (*) private corp woody settings, that scared me off a few caches -

I think that asking permission is always a good rule of thumb. Although it is sometimes a hassle as in this thread.

If you read through that thread, you notice that I sought permission before going out and placing a cache, even though I doubt that I would ask permission to play frisbee in this park. To me, I think it boils down to people not knowing about or understanding geocaching. Most people know about playing frisbee and see it as harmless and fun exercise. In other words, its the fear of the unknown.

What I don't understand is the lame excuse that the park ranger is afraid that a cache will cause damage to the park from the extra traffic of geocachers. Isn't the purpose of public parks and forest to provide a place for outdoor activities for the general public? Aren't these paid for by our tax dollars? Aren't they used by hikers, hunters, campers, and frisbee tossers? I don't think that geocaching traffic should be used as a valid excuse for not allowing a cache placement.

Matthew 5:1-11