BushRag/Ghillie Cache Wrap

CYBret

Just wondering if anyone out there has done something like leave a cache in a fairly visible place but wrapped it in something like a ghillie suit. Check out THIS EXAMPLE from CheaperThanDirt.com. There are several other websites with examples, but this one was the least . . umm . . subversive. icon_wink.gif

Been thinking about it lately . . it might be a pretty fun thing to hide . . definitely better than wrapping the cache in the ol' black plastic bag, anyway.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Go to your local paintball store to find all sorts of neoprene covers in all types of camo...from woodland to tiger stripe to real tree and trebark...along with different containers...i am using cutdown paintball pods with neo covers...pretty cool!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

No, I am not lost...I am where I am suppose to be...At least I think so?

My local WalMart carries a variety of camo patterns in the fabric section -- usually priced around $4 or so per yard. With a few minutes on a sewing machine you can make several camo sacks real cheap.

A wider selection of patterns including ghillie suit material in bulk quantities is available from cabelas.com.

========================================

Friends don't let Friends geocache drunk.

I just finished putting the final touches on my stealth cache and put it in my back yard to see how well the fake ivy would hide it ( Wal-marts in there fake plant area and a hot glue gun can work wonders) and now i can't find it... icon_frown.gif i guess it worked to well! Thats why i quit shooting camo arrows when i went hunting...

The problem is most of those things aren't any good when you're within a few feet. If you're looking for telltale humps in the grass or sticks stacked in a certain way, odd materials will stand out.

Now these work good from a distance, but so does a good camouflage paint job.

I've got one cache out that hidden in a heavy duty door screen I've sewn into a bag. It's a rubbermaid container and the blue lid was giving it away from a distance if you so happen to look that way. This black bag makes it disappear. That is until you turn the corner and look up into the tree.

Though I loath black plastic bags they do offer a good bit of concealment. The black blends in.

My best camo paint jobs consist of a dirt brown base, with a green camo pattern, then topped with a black camo pattern. Throw some leaves on it and it's gone.

I've looked into the military surplus camo nets, but they are far too expensive for my tastes.

CR

72057_2000.gif

and the last three visitors in snow cover could not find it. I took a Rubbermaid jar and glued sticks all around it, then extra secured the sticks wby wrapping raffia all around and tied a neat little bow. The container is clear with a white lid, and then I hid the whole thing under a moss covered rock that looks like a frog. Now they tell me all the rocks look like frogs. I'd better go check it and tsee if it's still there! It would work really really well in a field. Right now it's in a hemlock forest and should stick out a little more.

My friend has his motorcycle covered in a large camo leaf cover that I am coveting. Wonder if he'll notice if a piece is missing?

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

I ususally put down a coat of primer and then a couple coats of flat OD green. Go out to the back yard and ask a tree if it would mind donating a few branches, no answer means its OK with it. Then I lay the branches on the container and spray streaks of flat black and brown. When you pull the branches off, the OD green shows as branches. 47016_300.jpg

[This message was edited by Criminal on January 09, 2003 at 10:16 AM.]

Thanks Criminal, i just went out and bought some ammo cans at the local army navy store and have started priming them...my god this is crazy...i have so many cache containers done i just need to find some cool places to put them! Oh when i get my pictures developed (yes , i don't have a digital camera, spent to much on my Minolta) i will show everyone here the cache that is a bush...something i just finished!