Easy or Hard cache?

Guest jc364

Guest jc364

Do most people prefer an easy cache or a hard cache? I'm planning on hiding a hard cache. The terrain will be easy, but the cache will be hard. I have in mind a multipule cache. Is this a good idea?

Guest jaeger

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

I'll toot it again, only because I just had somebody solve it for the first time and they said they had a great time: Terrain 1.5, Difficulty 5.0, Cache: Hard as Pi

Wow. I wish this was closer to home for me!

Jaeger

I think over time there has become a market for both. Some people are number hounds, or they are have different constraints that make them prefer easy caches. For others the challenge is the most important atribute.

Either way as caching has evolved it has managed to provide something for everyone.

El Diablo

For those of you who are viewing this almost 5 year old topic....way back then most caches were fairly easy. It wasn't until the sport/hobby/game grew that people began to come up with creative ideas on how to hide caches.

If you started back when I did you are amazed at the creative ideas that people have come up with. I hid the first multiple cache in my area based upon the responses from this thread. I used a fake plant as a stage to a multi cache and it was the first of its kind. By todays standards...it was so so to say the best.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

Do most people prefer an easy cache or a hard cache? I'm planning on hiding a hard cache. The terrain will be easy, but the cache will be hard. I have in mind a multipule cache. Is this a good idea?

I like both. The 1/1s that are less than 500 ft from the car are fantastic for taking my two young preschool kids on a "treasure hunt". When I'm out alone or with just my wife, it's different. She likes the tough micro hides that are relatively close to the car, I like the high terrain bushwacks.

My problem at the moment is that I go out much more often with my kids in tow, so the higher terrain caches are building up close to home and I have to drive 25 minutes out of town for the easy ones to do with my kids. I'm in the planning stage of hiding my first cache right now and it will be rather kid friendly. This doesn't help MY situation obviously, but I'm sure there are others in the area with the same problem.

I prefer a hard cache as long as its terrain that makes it hard. I'm not particularly into "clever" hides and puzzles, but give me real 3+ star terrain and I'm there.

I agree. My most favorite caches are those with a Terrain rating of at least '3.'

What I really don't like is a 1/1-rated cache, like one I went to this afternoon, which is in a muggle-full area, that I can't find. :laughing:

Edit to add appropriate quote.

Edited by Miragee

My first find occurred while I was learning exactly what the heck geocaching is. It was actually two days before I ever visited geocaching.com and I had only learned the word (geocaching) about an hour earlier. It was this cache. It would have been approximately a three mile round trip involving rough terrain, several 800 ft. elevation gains, bushwhacking, and a good hide with a traditional (ammo can) container.

I say would have been, because it was on one section of a 25 mile hike, double overnight adventure on the roughest trail in Indiana. I suppose to most, that would be considered a hard cache. But because it was only a small part of a bigger adventure (and my natural talents for bushwhacking and finding things), :laughing: I viewed it as pretty easy.

So what is hard or easy is certainly arguable to any given individual. Disregarding any labels or difficulty ratings others may apply to a hunt, I always, without exception, enjoy a challenging hunt more than others, even if it is challenging perhaps only because I’m having a bad day. :rolleyes::blink:

I bumped this topic (which as Jerry started is a good, valid topic) as kind of a joke, knowing that Jerry would reply and then he would be a kind of a sock puppet replying to himself. Ha ha. But I noticed something peculiar.

If you click on the number in the replies column, you can see who and how many times someone has replied to that topic.

JC364 (who is also El Diablo in another world) has four posts recognized when actually, he has only made one post in this topic. El Diablo has made three posts in this topic and that what it shows when you examine who has posted here. So every time Jerry posts he’s giving JC364 a post credit too.

Anyway, as I was saying, I like the hard ones. :rolleyes::laughing:

Why is markwell listed as "unregistered"?

One of the firsr forum upgrades/imports resulted in a disconnect between peoples accounts and their posts. Or so I understand it.

It would be interesting to see if we could figure out the actual date and time of that disconnect.

As for the OP. Too easy is a let down...unless the terrain was hard. To hard isn't any fun unless the hardness is what makes it fun.

Considering the number of caches in the area and how rare it is that someone else places a new cache within 50 miles of here... I'll just say that I prefer A cache. I'm not going to be picky on it being easy, hard, well kept, muggled, stocked, microed, with a view, or on the center median of the freeway. I can't even remember the last time I had to choose which cache to save for later anymore.

Considering the number of caches in the area and how rare it is that someone else places a new cache within 50 miles of here... I'll just say that I prefer A cache. I'm not going to be picky on it being easy, hard, well kept, muggled, stocked, microed, with a view, or on the center median of the freeway. I can't even remember the last time I had to choose which cache to save for later anymore.

Well said. :D