Junk Items???

Am I the only one that has put out new caches only to go back to them and find that only junk has been left/exchanged? We always put out quality items in the caches we not only put out but also the ones that we find. I have been to many that have had several items that is crazy, example, used tooth pics, broken crayons, and other misc. junk. Makes no sense to me at all. What have you found in your hidden caches that doesn't make sense or that made you scratch your head?

Hey, CC, we hear you and can feel your pain. How about a broken sea shell, complete with wet sand, a 6" piece of yellow plastic rope, a single band-aid. Seems to be worst with easily accessible urban caches, but its just part of the game. We just imagine that its young kids who put these "treasures" in, and leave it at that.

quote:
Originally posted by The Cache Couple:

Am I the only one that has put out new caches only to go back to them and find that only junk has been left/exchanged?

No

What have you found in your hidden caches that doesn't make sense or that made you scratch your head?

A cigar cutter

Or worse...a family that doesn't know better and the log reads.....

Billy took the cool $5.00 *****

Jill took the nice hand made ****

Hubby took the ****

and I took the wonderful ****

We left two McToys....a dollar and our card.

Nothing peeves me more that one team that totally plunders the cache in one outing.... Should be one trade per team....period...but then that would be adding rules.....

If God is your co-pilot, it's time to change seats!!!

quote:
Originally posted by The Falcon:

Here's a "hypothetical" situation:

What's the concensus on someone who takes nothing but leaves, let's say... a cute magnet?

a) no problem

B) that's kinda cheap

c) get the hangin' rope!

d) ?

=====

It is the tale, not he who tells it."

Always ask yourself if the cache is as good or better than it was before you visited. That's all you need to do.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by The Falcon:

Here's a "hypothetical" situation:

What's the concensus on someone who takes nothing but leaves, let's say... a cute magnet?

a) no problem

B) that's kinda cheap

c) get the hangin' rope!

d) ?

=====

It is the tale, not he who tells it."

It's not hypothetial. There are a lot of simple signature items out there. People leave them at all the caches. Mine wasn't that hot but give it 20 years and it might be collectiable.

quote:
Originally posted by Northern-Lights:

Or worse...a family that doesn't know better and the log reads.....

Billy took the cool $5.00 *****

Jill took the nice hand made ****

Hubby took the ****

and I took the wonderful ****

We left two McToys....a dollar and our card.

Nothing peeves me more that one team that totally plunders the cache in one outing.... Should be one trade per team....period...

Ditto N-L

I found a single glove in mine. Must have belonged to Michael Jackson.

I had a finder recently say "Junky Cache".

Kinda hurt knowing how well I stocked the cache (as most do) when I first set it out.

My hockey Mom beat up your soccer Mom.

http://coloradogeocaching.com/

quote:
Seems to be worst with easily accessible urban caches,

I placed this and this caches. Both are out of the way, definitely not urban. The second is quite new and has been found once. The first has been found many times and kept up nicely. Anyway, I think that the better stocked to begin with and maybe making it a theme cache can help. I agree that easy caches are more prone to trash. I figure that if people have to hike in and then find a nicely stocked cache to begin with, that they will feel guilty about leaving junk! It has seemed to work with my first one (and I will correct it by restocking if it fails). With the second, time will tell!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
A cigar cutter

Now that's a good item. Useful to cigar smokers and they cost betweem $2 and $10. I wouldn't mind finding one.

I've found a tampon in a number of my caches. They seem to be the signature item of some unknown geocacher. Probably the junkiest item was a single, individually wrapped Lifesaver.

I found a pair of damp, dirty work gloves with holes in the fingers in a cache. That was pretty lame. Also a used up Metrocard.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

The first rule of geocaching is that no matter how worthless the junk placed in a geocache is, it will be replaced with something of lesser value.

I believe it, I live it. I defined the first rule of geocaching years ago. I own the copywrite.

Occasionally, I lambast cachers who leave crap in my caches. I don't know if it helps, but I love sending nasty emails!!.

I also enjoy shopping for bargains so I continually repensish my caches. None of the pinheads I emailed has ever retaliated by stealing a cache.

Some people just need direction.

I enjoy being a moral compass.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
A cigar cutter

Now that's a good item. Useful to cigar smokers and they cost betweem $2 and $10. I wouldn't mind finding one.

True, but a little risky for a kid to find. But then here we could go with the lighter & knife debate again! icon_biggrin.gif

My geo partner thought it was a majic trick & almost sliced his finger.

I do like the term (I think you used), left a "camping tool" or something like that. icon_wink.gif