Geocahing in IRAQ!

greyjay

I was playhing around looking at different geocaches in other countries today when I checked out Iraq! It seems that our brave troops over there are trying to keep the goecaching hobby alive and kicking in Iraq!

If you get a few minutes, why don't you send a quick letter of thanks to the cache placers in Iraq for protecting our freedom AND introducing geocaching to Iraq.

SSgt Jason Adams

U.S. Air Force

OK, I'm sure this will result in a firestorm of criticism from the patriotic Americans reading this, but I have to question the listing of these caches.

Of the 5 caches I find located in Iraq, 3 appear to be on American-held bases, and one of the other two is behind a military checkpoint. One of the guidelines for listing a cache on this site is:

quote:

Caches will be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches near or in military installations

Only this one seems to be in a place where actual Iraqis might be able to visit it, though it's impossible for me to tell if it is in a place of free access to all.

I'm really not trying to start an argument about whether the Americans ought to be over there.

(And if anyone is tempted to turn this into such an argument, don't bother; I give up. I know I am outnumbered on this site, and have no hope of convincing any of you to change your point of view.) I intend no disrespect to the soldiers who are doing their job, and probably really need this sort of diversion to alleviate some of the stress they must be under.

But most of these "Iraqi" caches doesn't seem appropriate to list on this site.

I would think that the powers that be would make an exception to caches in or near military bases under these circumstances. It's something for the troops to do during their off time. Even though the average Iraqi geocacher won't have access to them, it could spread off base in a hurry. There's no shortage of ammo cans to fill, just stuff to put in them. Maybe we should round up all the McToys from the caches here in the states and ship them to Iraq for trade items. That would solve two problems!

Maps?!? I don't need no stinking maps! I got coordinates!

There's a fine line between Geocaching and mental illness, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

quote:
Originally posted by John144:

Of the 5 caches I find located in Iraq, 3 appear to be on American-held bases, and one of the other two is behind a military checkpoint.

Only this one seems to be in a place where actual Iraqis might be able to visit it, though it's impossible for me to tell if it is in a place of free access to all.

SoldierBlue is a Brit and found that cache. I'm pretty sure that the other sites would probably be accessible to Allies as well.

My guess is that actual Iraqis aren't going to have much recreational activities to begin with, let alone GPS units, so I wouldn't anticipate too many complaints. Otherwise we would have seen some geocaching activity in the past.

Having a soccer ball to play with is a big improvement. When they finally settle down and get with the program, I'm sure they will benefit from the caches being placed there.

quote:

I give up.

Viva le France.

quote:

But most of these "Iraqi" caches doesn't seem appropriate to list on this site.

Seem fine to me. It's not as if you attempted to find one and were denied access.

My opinion regarding geocaching in Iraq and locating them on military installations.. where in Iraq is it safe to find geocaches that aren't on military installations? and for that matter, what do you think the chances of your average iraqi citizen actually owning a gps and interested in geocaching? I mean, it's like everything else in Iraq, geocaching will be introduced to the people of iraq in due time, along with all the conforts of modern society once security is reestablished. It would be suicide for any american or briton to go driving around on their own looking for a geocache in unsecure areas.

I am the proud owner of one of the 5 caches in Iraq (Brave Rifles Micro Cache). First, the “American held air-base” that I hid my micro cache, is home to about 6,000 people including some collation forces and Iraqis. The Iraqis that can gain clearance come to work in our dinning facilities, translate, and help with construction and repair. Second, I recently went outside the wire to teach Human Rights and other classes (Just one small part of the JAG mission) to the Iraqi Civil Defense Corps. On this trip, I showed my GPS receiver and the Naomi Travel Bug to them. (Pictures of Naomi are posted!) I explained geocaching through a translator. They thought the idea was novel; however, right now, they would just like to live until tomorrow. They also are more concerned with being able to buy shoes and care for their family.

Second, I would not even think about placing a cache of any kind outside a protected area. This would not only be a huge risk to Americans, it would possibly get an Iraqi child killed. It is not safe here outside the checkpoints. We have to wear body armor and carry live rounds locked and loaded.

We recognize that in order to place a cache here, we have to bend the rules. It’s not like this is some great place to cache. The entire place is sand so it is fairly obvious where my cache is hidden. Where there is more than sand!

I also would not think of using an ammo can. I would like to place a tradition (non-micro) cache, but it will be in a container that is see-through. Safety First!

Another difficulty we deal with here that most normal cachers don’t is availability to the internet. May people have purchased GPS receivers or have the Military one issued to them. When they do get some down time, they look long and hard for something to do to relax. They want to do something new and fun. The problem is they don’t have access to the net. If you know someone in Iraq, send him or her a print out of the cache info. They can log it when they do get a chance to get on-line. At Rifles Base (Al Asad, Iraq) we are working on getting some computers with Internet access made available to the troops. I am lucky. My duties require that I have the ability to research and communicate to the states. Others are not that lucky, they work out on the fence line.

Just putting in my two cents worth

From Iraq,

Catherman

"In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved." --Franklin D. Roosevelt