Hypothetical Situation: What would you do?

Well, seeing as how the keys were in the cache but the car wasn't, the keys are the prize but the car is not. I'd still follow the coords to see what the deal was ...but no way would I use the keys on a car that isn't mine. That's grand theft auto my friend.

4497_300.jpg

"The liberty we prize is not America's gift to the world, it is God's gift to humanity" W.

I would:

1) Take the keys, trading for something else.

2) Find the car.

3) Drive it to the local police department.

4) Describe the situation to the local police (where the car was left) and ask them to determine if the car was stolen or not.

If lucky, I have a new car. If unlucky, I don’t - but I won’t be under suspicion of aiding a felony.

-Jif

Considering some of the more detailed caches I've seen in the past, I'd take the keys and go to the coordinates to see what was there. If it was an Audi I'd probably scout around for the camera crew and flush them out. There's always a catch...

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

Check out these logs at GCB51 Blair Witch cache:

April 7, 2002 by mike greybeard (mike greybeard) (254 found)

Great place,been here before, rode a bicycle up from Burkittsville as part of a M S 150 ride and fundraiser. Found the cache, took a $20 dollar gold piece and left the keys to a 1957 Corvette and the co-ordinates to find it. First person to get the keys and get to the car, keeps it. Thanks for the fun.

April 21, 2002 by Metaphor (69 found)

Nice site of interest. Found the keys but since I was backpacking on the AT, I didn't need the car so I threw them away.

BTW, it was a virtual...

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

Isn't an Audi French? (I know, it's German....so it's half French.....) Anyway....I take the keys...go to the car carrying all the pocket knives, dental floss, feathers, ammo, road flares, alcohol, and last but not least....lighters that I've collected from various caches and burn it all while chanting anti French/German/Russian slogans while a film crew takes pictures of it for CNN.

Earth First!!! We'll cache the other planets later!!

Ok, I'm not as dramatic as Northern lights, but (assumming it's not stolen) I'd immeadately trade it in, do the American (or at least the Detriot) correct thing to do, and buy myself a nice PT Cruiser. Or Mebbe a Jeep. Ok, so they're half German now, but the only thing I would buy from Ford is the new T-bird, and GM doesn't have anything too exciting...

BTW Dinoprophet- what about dressing up like a lamb???

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

quote:
Originally posted by Northern-Lights:

Isn't an Audi French? (I know, it's German....so it's half French.....) Anyway....I take the keys...go to the car carrying all the pocket knives, dental floss, feathers, ammo,

Well, if the ammo isn't french, german, or russian (shooters know about russian ammo anyway), can I have the ammo please? So far this month I have expended 650 rounds of 9mm in practice or competition. At this rate, it is going to cost me $75 and about 2 hours at the reloader for the month of March. Free ammo is always appreciated!

icon_biggrin.gif

Everyone knows ammo isn't allowed in a cache. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Dunno, I like the Audi TT roadster. But it is German. Hmmmm.... I have been married 25 years, to a German. I can see it now. "Sorry dear, but I am boycotting anything German. You have to go back! icon_biggrin.gif If I don't have a wife, I can fit 2 dogs in the jeep.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Considering some of the more detailed caches I've seen in the past, I'd take the keys and go to the coordinates to see what was there. If it was an Audi I'd probably scout around for the camera crew and flush them out. There's always a catch...

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Actually, that's a good call, I'd bet on it being some kind of stunt.

But better than that, I'd call up some buddies of mine at a local department, get them to come out to the car with me and we'd ALL flush out the camera crew...LOL. While they're there they could run the plates on the car and see if it's stolen.

Oh, and yes, we ALL have buddies at every law enforcement department, before someone asks...LOL.

Mike! I'm guessing you met your wife while stationed in the wonderful Republic of Germany. I was at Rose Barracks in Bad Kreuznach for three years. Loved it. Planning a return trip in a year or so even though they closed Rose Barracks...sigh. Oh well.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

I would:

1) Take the keys, trading for something else.

2) Find the car.

3) Drive it to the local police department.

4) Describe the situation to the local police (where the car was left) and ask them to determine if the car was stolen or not.

If lucky, I have a new car. If unlucky, I don’t - but I won’t be under suspicion of aiding a felony.

I'm with TeamJiffy that sounds like an idea.

hmmm...not sure if everyone is trading equal valued items here. Sounds like this cache is getting filled with McToys!

Perhaps if it was "keys and title" to the car, and you traded your own car keys and title, it would be a "trade" and not "grand theft auto."

Any lawyers out there?

Grrrrrrrrr...

jackbear

Take the keys, find the vehicle, unlock the car, see if it has gas, turn on the engine, look to see if anybody's around, start to take off, get on the highway, see sirens behind me, just keep on driving til they catch me or I escape. But I'm crazy, so nobody listens to me.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Faster than a dial-up Internet connection, stronger than any band nerd, look up at the sky! ....is it a bat..... no .....is it my grandma's mustache..... NO! IT'S RADMAN Version 2.0!

I would find the car and then call it in to see if it is in fact stolen. If all signs are good, I would take it to my house, then log on the fourms/cache page and find any writing about it. IF the signs there were ok, then I would let the air pass through my hair as I drove it to the next cache. icon_wink.gif

To the frech comments:

>Going to war with France is like going hunting with bagpipes. icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by jackbear:

hmmm...not sure if everyone is trading equal valued items here. Sounds like this cache is getting filled with McToys!

Perhaps if it was "keys and title" to the car, and you traded your own car keys and title, it would be a "trade" and not "grand theft auto."

Any lawyers out there?

Grrrrrrrrr...

jackbear

Don't fair trades only apply to what you take out of the cache? Then would not just a couple old keys and a piece of paper suffice? What are the keys really worth, depending on the design $20 or so, and a piece of paper <$.01? icon_biggrin.gif What a great first finders prize. Now take my TB Home Again Cache, where you trade one TB for another TB. What about a cache located at a dealership, Trade you car for another car? That may be interesting.

Maldar