Written on Stone.

gmaxis

Has the cache been approved yet? The link takes me to the hide/seek a cache page. Remember- until it has, only you or an admin/approver can view the page. Sounds like a great idea to me, though.

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

-DavidMac; (formerly Someonenameddave)

I found out the hard way that hiding a cache under a rock in a location with lots of rocks can cause a lot of disturbance to the area. Seekers will tend to turn over dozens of the rocks and not put them back. If your clue is in a landscaped area, or in an area where little creatures make their homes under rocks, it might not a good idea. If you go ahead with it, I suggest that you visit the rock frequently after the first few finds, to make sure that no damage is being done.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. geol4.JPG

I removed the link. Thanks for the tip.

With regards to possible disturbance to flora and fauna, The rock sits behind a small spiny bush bordering some gravel. Because gravel would be too small, dark and rough to write on, my stone is obviously set apart from the surrounding. I do intend to coat the written side with clear enamel or nail polish to keep the coords from fading.

Have GPS, Will Travel.

quote:
I do intend to coat the written side with clear enamel or nail polish to keep the coords from fading.

i have a multi puzzle cache in which coordinates are on rocks. I highly advise AGAINST the enamel. I wrote on my rocks with a sharpie then coated with a thin layer of laquer. Bad. When i put the part of the rock that was laquered, face down in the dirt, the laquer chemically reacted with the acidic soil causing a fuzzy opaque coating to cover the rocks making them illegible. I have since replaced the rocks with completely different ones in which i used white weather beater outdoor paint, works like a charm and supposedly withstands the elements for at least 15 years. I used no enamel or laquer at all, and these rocks have been hidden all summer, and look as good as the day i painted them.

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

quote:
Originally posted by gmaxis:

I just created a multi-cache wherein the final coordinates is written under a fist-sized rock. Any thoughts, objections, violent reactions?

Have GPS, Will Travel.

Seen it. Criminal used to have a cache where the coords were on a piece of paper taped to the bottom of a flat rock.

I found a cache where the coordinates were carved (very profesionally done) into a stone and it was placed in a landscape boarder along with other stones. They were face up, so you didn't have to flip anything over.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Is it me, or does anyone else think that the harder to find are better?

I have a micor hidden that's not that difficult, or at least I don't think it is. But I've had a couple of no finds on it and it's been placed only a few weeks. Others have found it. Some walked right to it, while some others had to search a little. I had to go and check on it yesterday because someone spent nearly 2 hours trying to find it and never did. After checking, it was in it's right place. This only intrigues me to make more and more difficult ones. What do others think?

Brian

www.woodsters.com

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Is it me, or does anyone else think that the harder to find are better?

That would depend on your definition of "hard."

I agree up to a certain point.

What do I think about hard-to-find micro caches? The smaller they get, the less thought required in hiding the cache. Anybody can do it.

If you want to make a difficult hide, use a large ammo box. Challenge yourself a little to find a suitable location.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on October 03, 2003 at 07:27 AM.]