Stingy, money-hungry, Yahoo &%$@!! taking away free POP access

Has anyone else recieved the notification email from Yahoo! stating they will no longer be offering free forwarding and POP3 access after April 24? That's the whole reason I GOT a yahoo account..it said "Free email for life!" Now I realize that I still have free web access, but that's a pain in the goola, especially since I have a nifty email program that checks automatically every so often.

I guess I could go on and on about building a customer base and then charging for perks, but I really don't feel like getting into it. Does anyone else have an email service with free POP access similar to yahoo? I have a hotmail account, but that's my junkmail account, and I already get too much of it there to try cleaning it up.

If you have a suggestion or opinion or need a place to vent, please feel free. Thanks

-pizzachef

I've never understood how the POPmail thing works anyway. My school email is through some sort of Yahoo, and I got their email... I use Outlook Express to manage my mail. It checks both my hotmail account and my school account. This POPmail deal won't affect that, will it?

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jake.Hazelip:

For about $8 a month, you can have your own domain registered with Yahoo for the express purpose of POP3 e-mail.

That is a little pricy...for $8.00 a month, you can get an account with the webhosting business my buddy and I started -- and that includes 100MB web space, 5GB transfer/mo, and TEN e-mail accounts. (POP3, IMAP, webmail, whatever you want...) Oh, and we'll register the domain of your choice for you (if available) for about $10.00 per YEAR.

I won't give our website here because I didn't write this to generate customers...Just wanted to make folks aware they can get a lot more for their $8.00 a month if they look around a little.

Or you can pay $8.00 a month for one account and the ever-so-cool "Yahoo" logo... icon_smile.gif

JM-99

quote:
Originally posted by Jake.Hazelip:

For about $8 a month, you can have your own domain registered with Yahoo for the express purpose of POP3 e-mail.

That is a little pricy...for $8.00 a month, you can get an account with the webhosting business my buddy and I started -- and that includes 100MB web space, 5GB transfer/mo, and TEN e-mail accounts. (POP3, IMAP, webmail, whatever you want...) Oh, and we'll register the domain of your choice for you (if available) for about $10.00 per YEAR.

I won't give our website here because I didn't write this to generate customers...Just wanted to make folks aware they can get a lot more for their $8.00 a month if they look around a little.

Or you can pay $8.00 a month for one account and the ever-so-cool "Yahoo" logo... icon_smile.gif

JM-99

quote:
Originally posted by the tapir:

Heaven forbid a company should *charge* for a service they offer!

The greedy swine!

BTW, does this have something to do with geocaching?

the tapir

Well, the part I was mostly upset about is that they OFFER you a free service, and then start charging. If they had stated something about a free introductory period, I wouldn't be complaining.

And my yahoo email address is my main geocaching address...so it's got a lot to do with geocaching icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, this is the only place the question would fit, and since we are a community, I trust the opinions of fellow geocachers on non-geocaching topics.

-pizzachef

quote:

The greedy swine!

the tapir

Well, the part I was mostly upset about is that they OFFER you a free service, and then start charging. If they had stated something about a free introductory period, I wouldn't be complaining.

And my yahoo email address is my main geocaching address...so it's got a lot to do with geocaching icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, this is the only place the question would fit, and since we are a community, I trust the opinions of fellow geocachers on non-geocaching topics.

-pizzachef

THIS IS NOT AN AD!!!

Go to MyRealBox and sign up for a FREE, no obligation, no advertisements, POP3, IMAP4, Web access, email account.

It is run by Novell to showcase their Novell Internet Messaging System and it is great. I've been using it for a couple of years now.

It provides SSL webaccess, POP3 access for outlook express, imap4 if you want, an online address book and a couple of diffent skins for the webpage.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

I have had my Yahoo Account for YEARS..

And its always supposed to have been FREE email for life.

I fondly remember the good ol days when Yahoo provided people with great content, and services, and wasnt a Billion Dollar Corporation in search of a divident for the Stockholders, and a Fat raise for the CEO.

Now EVERY service they provide, has been basically AOHELLIZED into very little viable service, for users, and enough Advertizing and SPAM to make even the most loyal Yahoo Users (Myself being one) to Balk at the service.

Ths Fact is, since Yahoo started eMail service, it has allowed free POP3 access for other email clients. This was great cuz thier eMail client SUCKS. Then a while back, they changed the term to provide you with free POP3 forwarding, for recieving mail, but if you might happen to want to

actually send some mail, thru thier SMTP Server, you had to sign up for some other deal where you had to agree to recieve mail from thier so called partners. In other words, you set yourself up to be SPAMMED to death. Now as if that is not enough, they basically want to FORCE you to use thier mail client, and be BOMBARDED with even more Advertising, or Pay them for the same service you have had for FREE all this time, and STILL get SPAMMED to hell... THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING FOR YAHOO USERS, but great for yahoo.. Its basically a breach of trust for the many loyal yahoo users, over the years.

I hope they loose most of thier users over this short sighted, BAD Decision.

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

I hope they loose most of thier users over this short sighted, BAD Decision.

Buck8Point[/quote}

well they lost me, not on principal but just because their service is noncompetative. My isp gives me up to 4 email addresses and hotmail gives me 2mb free (not happy about imap but accaptable) and myrealbox gives me 10mb free. why the $#@% should I have to pay yahoo for this - yahoo is not holding a gun to my head - I don't have to use their service.

Since I got the notice I went through my yahoo email account and changed anything important to another email address. I had one of the older yahoo accounts too that gave me 6mb instead of 4. I will just leave it idle.

This really does suck. And Yahoo is starting to suck in general. I dropped Hotmail and went to Yahoo because I use Outlook for email. For some stupid reason you could use Outlook Express to POP from Hotmail, but not Outlook. I guess I'll have to check out some of the options mentioned here. I have a personal address through my own domain, but I try to keep that closely held so I don't get spammed. Man, this sucks. A*!holes. icon_mad.gif

rdw

This really does suck. And Yahoo is starting to suck in general. I dropped Hotmail and went to Yahoo because I use Outlook for email. For some stupid reason you could use Outlook Express to POP from Hotmail, but not Outlook. I guess I'll have to check out some of the options mentioned here. I have a personal address through my own domain, but I try to keep that closely held so I don't get spammed. Man, this sucks. A*!holes. icon_mad.gif

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by pizzachef:

I agree with this statement. I wish we had a section of the forums specifically for "non-geocaching" questions. This is one of the most helpful groups of people I have come across.

Greg

N 39°54.705'

W 77°33.137'

quote:

The greedy swine!

the tapir

Ok. I'll rise to the bait.

Yahoo does charge - their advertisers, banners and all that. The advertisers hoped to sell their products to you the "free" user. Yahoo couldn't make enough money from the advertisers so they're charging the end user.

Just like braodcast TV (what's that?). You know those things with rabbit ears. For years people watched all their favorite programs - all for free courtesy of the advertisers.

And geocaching.com is now operating like Yahoo did to a certain extent. By adding value to the site with "free" caches and intellectual content to the forums by non-paying cachers, geocaching.com can sell upgrades for members only caches and other features. Without "free" caches, how many would stay around long enough for the upgrade? It will be interesting to see what happens if it eventually follows what Yahoo is doing now. Will people who use geocaching.com because it is "free" switch in the same way people are now doing with Yahoo?

Alan

quote:

-pizzachef

icon_biggrin.gif

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

quote:

-pizzachef

icon_biggrin.gif

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Just like braodcast TV (what's that?). You know those things with rabbit ears. For years people watched all their favorite programs - all for free courtesy of the advertisers.

Alan

icon_cool.gif I remember when they were first talking about "pay tv". One of the rumors was they were going to install coin boxes on the back or side of your tv hehehehe. Most of us at the time swore we would never pay for this junk. Now I have several hundred channels. icon_biggrin.gif

Funny how things change.

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Alan

icon_cool.gif I remember when they were first talking about "pay tv". One of the rumors was they were going to install coin boxes on the back or side of your tv hehehehe. Most of us at the time swore we would never pay for this junk. Now I have several hundred channels. icon_biggrin.gif

Funny how things change.

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:
Originally posted by gnbrotz:

I agree with this statement. I wish we had a section of the forums specifically for "non-geocaching" questions. This is one of the most helpful groups of people I have come across.

Greg

N 39°54.705'

W 77°33.137'

I emailed Jeremy about maybe making an "Everything-Else Board" and he like the idea and said he'd work on getting one set up. I guess he's just been busy, but I think it would be neat to talk about topics other than geocaching. We're all friends, and we've got lots of stuff to talk about.

-pizzachef

quote:
Will people who use geocaching.com because it is "free" switch in the same way people are now doing with Yahoo?

That all depends. Like I mentioned before with yahoo. By charging Yahoo is no longer competative with others like hotmail and myrealbox - and for that matter my isp which gives me 4 mailboxes. There is no way I will pay when there are free alternitives which are just as good if not better.

As for geocaching - I will look for alternatives and try them out before I decide to pay - that includes the free service here.