"State of Mind" 50 cache series/contest

Socko

Team Socko, Vincetti, & Mel. Hales Corners, Wisconsin, P.O. Box 823. **** Just to let the geocaching community in general know, sometime around the first week of this June 2003, I am going to be introducing a 50 cache series that will start off as a contest to see who finds them all first. The winner will get the coordinates for a 51st. cache which they will keep, container, contents, and all. After that, they will remain online as regular caches for everyone else to find. Each container will have two screw on lids, one will have a U.S. Postage Stamp on it of one of the 50 states, the other will have my team emblem. Inside one of the lids of each container will be a code word or phrase which the finder will have to email me to prove they found it. (I am using this system since it will be virtually impossible for me to go around and check all 50 caches for sign in's.) All fifty will be hidden in seperate sites or parks within a two county area including Milwaukee, and Waukesha. That way, finding them all gets you 50 seperate finds. These caches go online as a living memory of all the soldiers who fought and died in this and all wars fought by our country and allies. I am proud to be an American citizen and this is a small way for me to show it! dadoflr@aol.com

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Sounds like a really big multi-cache. Have you asked an admin about making them all individual caches?

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

They stated it was a SERIES of caches, not a multi-cache. The finders will get credit for each one.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by Socko:

I am using this system since it will be virtually impossible for me to go around and check all 50 caches for sign in's.

Why in heck would you ever need to go around and visually check all your caches logbooks? I've seen series done like this in our area, and each cache has a word on it, and the bonus cache tells you what to do with all the words (basically, the bonus cache posts bogus coords and then you follow the instructions and calculate the actual coords using the code words found on the caches).

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Sounds like a really big multi-cache. Have you asked an admin about making them all individual caches?

They stated it was a SERIES of caches, not a multi-cache. The finders will get credit for each one.

Yes, I read that. I'm saying that 50 micro-caches in such a small area seems like overkill. You should run it by the admins before posting them as 50 individual caches

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
Yes, I read that. I'm saying that 50 micro-caches in such a small area seems like overkill. You should run it by the admins before posting them as 50 individual caches

YES, PLEASE!

It's very painful to have to put 50 caches on hold awaiting clarification or to archive 50 caches because they should have been combined in some way. Please discuss this with the person who's been approving your other caches. See his or her geonick at the base of an approved cache page and send an e-mail. We want to work with you to make this fun, but practical for all. If multiple "smilies" are appropriate admins would rather see multiple find logs on a cache page for each find than multiple cache submissions when one or a few would do.

Thanks!

erik - geocaching.com admin

How many logbooks in this series of caches? One at the last bonus cache? I thought every physical cache was supposed to have a logbook. This sure sounds like a 51-stage multicache to me.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

If it has a log book, and a container, and a space (even a 35mm film canister will do) for even the tiniest of trades, it can be one in a series of separate caches, with a bonus cache.

If the stages don’t have log-books, don’t have containers, and you cannot trade even the tiniest of items, then it’s a stage in a multi-cache, and not a separate cache.

That’s how I read it.

-Jif

Just to clear things up, each container is a PVC tube aout 2" x 6", much larger than a 35mm. canister, and each is placed within a 30 mile radius of my home, none are closer than about 1 mile from another, all in different parks or sites, and only a couple in parks with already exsisting caches in them, though no closer than .26 miles from those caches, which is why they stand as seperate caches! Also, each has a log book, pencil, and geocache notice page in it, in other words, plenty of room for trinkets and other things. I have already been in contact with the local cache approvers and they have already preapproved 40 of the 50 caches. They have been in contact with the general geocache administrators and have cleared this idea with them.

[This message was edited by Socko on May 31, 2003 at 04:02 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Socko:

Just to clear things up, each container is a PVC tube aout 2" x 6", much larger than a 35mm. canister, and each is placed within a 30 mile radius of my home, none are closer than about 1 mile from another, all in different parks or sites, and only a couple in parks with already exsisting caches in them, though no closer than .26 miles from those caches, which is why they stand as seperate caches! Also, each has a log book, pencil, and geocache notice page in it, in other words, plenty of room for trinkets and other things. I have already been in contact with the local cache approvers and they have already preapproved 40 of the 50 caches. They have been in contact with the general geocache administrators and have cleared this idea with them.

[This message was edited by Socko on May 31, 2003 at 04:02 AM.]

Wow, sounds like a lot of planning and work went into this. Good luck with it.... I'm sure the folks in that area will love it.... I only wish I had that much area around me to hide caches like that....

Pleas send me an e-mail with one of the cache pages on it so I can follow the action!!

If God is your co-pilot, it's time to change seats!!!

Now that we have completed a score of these, I can offer these observations. The series is a very worthy challenge. To be able to complete the series in less than a week is an admirable accomplishment. Trudy and I will do well to complete the series before the end of the month.

The adventure is in the hunt. Each hunt has taken us to a new park and offered new challenges. Some have added new brusies, cuts, scratches, abbrasions and bites. Some are very easy to find and some have been very difficult. Several have been kid friendly and some dog friendly... yuck!

I am not dissapointed, but rather surprised at the level of quality that Socko has built into these caches. I enjoy seeing the kind of growth brought to our sport by State of Mind, RPaske's Mother Goose and The Lil Otter's 52-Pickup. Keep them coming.

tb

Life is a gift, freely given for you to enjoy.