My Intentions.......................

umc

.......for placing my first cache. Does anyone think this would be rude or even work. On the main cache page I would like to ask that people only bring 'nice/new/no toys' things with them to trade as I will start the cache off with only items that fit in those categories?

Do any of you think that would be possible in order to keep the used candles, dirty old toys and basically junk out of the cache?

I also have plans to make that a point at any cache I go to in order to improve the geocaching community.

Thanks

migo_sig_logo.jpg

If someone is going to leave crap, (either by your definition or everyone's), they will leave it whether you mention it in the cache description or not.

Your second suggestion of doing as you would like done for you is a much better prospect, at least some people will learn by example.

That's what cache maintenenece is all about. You'll have to check your cache on occasion and determine if any items are not worthy of being there.

Save our forests, wipe your *** with a tree-hugger.

Please forgive me for reiterating my post to the Barking Up the Wrong Tree topic, but it seems apt.

Also, I wasn't aware that the geocaching community needed improvement.

Anyway, the reiteration:

There are at least two reasons that I enjoy geocaching: 1) The 5 mile search through unfamiliar areas and 2) the indirect discovery of people.

Sometimes the hunt provides both. A clever urban microcache can say much about the cache owner. Her creativity and resourcefulness are on display for the finders.

The cache contents reveal the people who created and visited the cache. The melted chapstick, the gold coin, and the broken Happy Meal toy each says something about the cacher who left it. We can review the logs, find who the person is, and over time come to know a part of them without meeting them, and thus we learn about our local geocaching community. To me this was an unexpected result, and one I enjoy.

So I say, put whatever you want in the cache. Trade up, trade down, trade the way you want to trade at that moment, and occassionally throw in the toys for the kids. You will be telling the local geocaching community who their neighbor is.

BTW, if I find a cache full of golf balls, I'll figure my community belongs the to wrong country club, and I should consider relocating.

V7L

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

So, whats the trick to getting people to trade up? Maybe a new thread needs to be started on the subject for maximum visibility.

Starting new threads? Who are you going to reach that way?

Step back and look at this community. How many cachers really visit or participate in the forums?

How many Cachers even log on the internet, when they find a cache? In my caches 1/4 to 1/3 of the finds in the cache don't log on the internet. I've introduced three friends to GeoCaching. Only one is interested enough to log finds.

I'm only guessing but out of the thousands signed up and caching, I think only one percent frequent the forums.

I don't see how you can force your expectations on others. We are all in this for our selves. Our own entertainment. If I went to a cache and found some self rightious demands on the trading, I think I wouldn't follow them out of spite. MRAH HA HA HA.......

evil_lol.gif

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

quote:

So, whats the trick to getting people to trade up?

I'd suggest a direct request that donations of cash be left in your cache, if you are that concerned about making a profit off of it.

If, on the other hand, you simply want the cache to be nice for future finders, then perhaps you might consider actually maintaining it by periodically re-visiting it, taking out any "crap," and putting new nice stuff into it.

A twist to this is that every time I read the threads asking "What do you consider cool cache finds?" I'm amazed at the variety of items mentioned. At least half of them wouldn't impress me in the slightest, yet other cachers are thrilled beyond words. OK, yeah, used ChapStick and dead AA batteries never made the list, but whenever I'm searching for a list of items that would make me the most sought-after cacher in the universe, I find that it's all in the eye of the beholder. Me, trying to guess what you'll like to find... doesn't always work.

I guess the optimistic side of me says at least they're leaving something, rather than just plundering the entire cache.

I'm glad I read this. We just placed our first cache today, and when we go back to maintain it, we'll remember to bring along some more goodies, in case some trading out or "padding" is required.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

I'd suggest a direct request that donations of cash be left in your cache, if you are that concerned about making a profit off of it.

Making a profit?????? I want my cache to be nice for the finders, I'm concerned about my fellow geocachers and want to take care of them in this simple way. Geeeez I didn't think I was asking that much here folks. I do plan on maintaining and keeping things nice and up to date.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:

...Does anyone think this would be rude or even work. On the main cache page...

Rude? No, not in my opinion.

Will it work? Possibly, but I would also print the request using a large, bold font and leave it in the cache container. As others have said, many cachers don't read the forums or even the cache pages.

Worldtraveler

I have to agree with the comment, "So I say, put whatever you want in the cache. Trade up, trade down, trade the way you want to trade at that moment, and occassionally throw in the toys for the kids. You will be telling the local geocaching community who their neighbor is. "

Half the fun of cache hunting for me is not knowing what I'll find at the end of the hunt.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

Thanks guys

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Just create the best, most enjoyable cache to visit you can do. The rest is up to others. You're not responsible. Then sit back and enjoy reading the logs that come in. icon_smile.gif

Alan

Those are my intentions icon_smile.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Thanks guys

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Just create the best, most enjoyable cache to visit you can do. The rest is up to others. You're not responsible. Then sit back and enjoy reading the logs that come in. icon_smile.gif

Alan

Those are my intentions icon_smile.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

Half the fun of cache hunting for me is not knowing what I'll find at the end of the hunt.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

I agree, its about the hunt, no doubt about it but after readin the threads about the 'Dirty/used McToys' and such it made me realize that I will work hard to maintain my cache. Used burnt down candles are when you start seeing TNLN.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
......for placing my first cache. Does anyone think this would be rude or even work. On the main cache page I would like to ask that people only bring 'nice/new/no toys' things with them to trade as I will start the cache off with only items that fit in those categories?

Do any of you think that would be possible in order to keep the used candles, dirty old toys and basically junk out of the cache?

I don't know that it's rude to request this on your cache page, but unfortunately I don't think anyone will pay attention to it either. One Geocacher I know has a "no McToys" symbol on a couple of his caches. I haven't asked him if it's worked though.

No matter how much thought you put in to your original cache contents, it will degrade over time. If you want to make sure the cache always has something nice it it for the later finders, the secret is frequent maintenace.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

quote:

.......for placing my first cache. Does anyone think this would be rude or even work. On the main cache page I would like to ask that people only bring 'nice/new/no toys' things with them to trade as I will start the cache off with only items that fit in those categories?

I also have plans to make that a point at any cache I go to in order to improve the geocaching community.

Thanks

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

Let me make a suggestion that I don't think I've seen stated before -

Looking back over my finds, I can see that at those caches that I really liked (e.g. I liked the location and found it special for some reason, there was some significant challenge to finding the cache, and the cache showed care and attention to detail on the part of the hider) I have tended to 'reward' the cache by leaving good stuff behind. That's true only as a generalization - there have been times when a cache looked kinda sorry when I found it so I left a bunch of stuff, there were times when I was just in a rush and didn't trade although I really liked the cache.

But rather than focus on how to coerce other people into leaving good stuff, why not concentrate on hiding really high quality caches - high quality in the sense that you've taken the time to find a beautiful spot to hide the cache, the find will present a reasonable physical or mental challenge, the coordinates are spot on, and generally pay careful attention to the details. Maybe then, as a result, other people

will behave the way I have, and 'reward' the cache.

-Paul

quote:

Making a profit?????? I want my cache to be nice for the finders, I'm concerned about my fellow geocachers and want to take care of them in this simple way. Geeeez I didn't think I was asking that much here folks. I do plan on maintaining and keeping things nice and up to date.

Heh... yeah - when I read your post, I didn't think you were out to reclaim your cache after it had been filled up with "good stuff" or something. icon_smile.gif Wanting to ensure your cache is full of good stuff for others is just a responsible thing for a cache hider to want.

I don't necessarily agree with the idea of always checking your cache and removing junk and replacing it with more good stuff. I agree, it is good to keep your own caches trash free - but once I load a cache up with good stuff once, I'm not gonna do it again if people aren't trading out fairly.

As for "forcing our expectations" on other folks... it isn't a matter of that, really. Making a suggestion is hardly forcing anyone to do anything - and as many people have said and made known, many geocachers don't care and/or don't pay attention to what you request on your cache page.

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

quote:

Heh... yeah - when I read your post, I didn't think you were out to reclaim your cache after it had been filled up with "good stuff" or something. icon_smile.gif Wanting to ensure your cache is full of good stuff for others is just a responsible thing for a cache hider to want.

I don't necessarily agree with the idea of always checking your cache and removing junk and replacing it with more good stuff. I agree, it is good to keep your own caches trash free - but once I load a cache up with good stuff once, I'm not gonna do it again if people aren't trading out fairly.

As for "forcing our expectations" on other folks... it isn't a matter of that, really. Making a suggestion is hardly forcing anyone to do anything - and as many people have said and made known, many geocachers don't care and/or don't pay attention to what you request on your cache page.

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

I doubt that "Cache In/Trash Out" would get as much attention as it does if it were only mentioned in these forums. Instead, it has a cute logo that is hard to miss.

Perhaps a "Play Fair/Trade Fair" (or some other saying) type of logo that hiders could place on their cache pages and on their caches would help to promote the concept. Certainly more visible and less rude than asking.

Anyone feeling artistic?

geospotter

quote:

Making a profit?????? I want my cache to be nice for the finders, I'm concerned about my fellow geocachers and want to take care of them in this simple way.

I knew that, but the problem is that not everybody will. If I were to see a geocache planted by somebody I didn't know with an exhortation in the description to only leave "good stuff," I might conclude that he wanted to get the good stuff for himself. And, if I were feeling particularly ornery that day, it might induce me to purposely leave something crappy.

OK, I would never do that, but I can easily imagine some who might.

So if you want to include a request that nice items be left, be very careful to do it in a way that makes your intentions completely clear. Many people achieve your goal by placing "themed" caches; for example, one near me requests that people only take/leave music CDs. If the cacher doesn't happen to have one, then he or she is requested to not trade at all.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Many people achieve your goal by placing "themed" caches; for example, one near me requests that people only take/leave music CDs. If the cacher doesn't happen to have one, then he or she is requested to not trade at all.

Thats a good idea, 'now lets see what could the theme be?' 'nice items only' yeah thats it. Just kidding but I do like that idea. Maybe like a hiking/camping theme I will ponder the details

thanks

migo_sig_logo.jpg