Internet time on Cache Pages?

Allen_L

Has anyone else noticed at the bottom of the cachepages there is something like this

Current Internet Time: 10/31/2002 @848.28

Where if you reload the numbers past the @ change?

Also does anyone know what it means?

[This message was edited by AllenLacy on October 31, 2002 at 12:01 PM.]

Wow...after reading the info on your link I totally agree. What a stupid concept.

I have no problem using hours, minutes and seconds instead of the "new" time unit known as a "beat" (0.001 days). But then again, I prefer gallons, feet and pounds, too.

But think of the jokes about someone with a watch that was off by 1.44 minutes...they would be a beat off!!

Ha! I kill me... (I miss ALF)

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

Wow...after reading the info on your link I totally agree. What a stupid concept.

I have no problem using hours, minutes and seconds instead of the "new" time unit known as a "beat" (0.001 days).

Actually, it's not "beat", but ".beat" (dot-beat). That's almost as annoying as microsoft's ".net".

3608_1400.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

If we had started out using beats from the beginning, and some whacko watch company suggested that we switch to "hours", "minutes", and "seconds", wouldn't you all think _that_ was stupid, too?

Invalid point. Being a cacher, a basic knowledge of navigation (and by way of inference, time measurement) should reveal that the heavenly bodies don't obey a base-10 counting system.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

quote:

My point isn't invalid.

You're asking why we don't call our hands "feet", or why we use the term "head" instead of "kazoo".

The point is that internet time is trying to re-standardize time-keeping in a numerical base (base-60 verses base-10) for which it cannot easily fit. Ask a farmer to re-schedule his crop management based on internet time, and I suspect you'd get a funny look.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

Invalid point. Being a cacher, a basic knowledge of navigation (and by way of inference, time measurement) should reveal that the heavenly bodies don't obey a base-10 counting system.

My point isn't invalid.

Sure it is. Everyone knows that base-60 is much more logical than base-10 for something that happens in a continuous manner.

After all, 60 is the first number that's divisible by every integer between 1 and 6. That makes it holier.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

You're asking why we don't call our hands "feet", or why we use the term "head" instead of "kazoo".

No, I'm saying that folks, in general, are rejecting beats offhandedly because they are unfamiliar.

Obviously you've put a lot of thought into our current time system, and concluded that it makes sense. If we started off using beats, and you had been using beats for your entire life, would you have come to the same conclusions?

quote:

No, I'm saying that folks, in general, are rejecting beats offhandedly because they are unfamiliar.

I reject beats for a completely different reason. I reject them because of the stupid "@" sign, which indicates that they were designed by a marketroid who equated "@" with "Internet."

Metric time as a concept is actually pretty nice; it'd be nice if there were a decent standard for it.

warm.gif

If you don't like what Swatch are doing, you can still use UDT (Universal Date Time) Which is the same thing but centered on the Greenwich Meridian, and without the marketing or @ sign. Unfortuantly, Swatch are the only people who make the watches if you want to use either.

The best time system is the one everyone else is using. If you want a chrono-revolution, good luck.