Fatal Exception Error installing Palm Desktop

MotorBug

I checed with Palm, they referred me to Microsoft. I tried using its knowledge base, but got no where. I figure this is kid's play for someone on this forum.

When I try to install the Palm desktop program from the CD that came with my Zire 71, I get the error: Fatal Exception 06 @ 0028:00000075. I also get the same error when I try to install the latest version from the Palm site.

I have Win 98SE with 256 mg ram on a 5 year old HP Pavilion 6860C. I've kept it up to date with the MS and VirusScan updates.

I had Palm 4.1 on the machine, but when I tried to install the program from the CD the error consistently shows up.

I've uninstalled the program, and edited the registry to take out leftovers. I've run a bunch of utilities off the web and the machine returns no errors for memory or disk.

Sure would appreciate some assistance fixing this.

Thanks.

[This message was edited by MotorBug on October 01, 2003 at 04:39 PM.]

That looks like someone tried to call a null pointer. I'm not sure how you could have caused that. Have you tried downloading the Palm Desktop software from their site and installing that? Failing that, try updating or reinstalling the Microsoft installer (I seem to recall that the Palm Desktop installer is using MSI now; I could be wrong.)

pirate.cgi.gif

Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:. Have you tried downloading the Palm Desktop software from their site and installing that? Failing that, try updating or reinstalling the Microsoft installer (I seem to recall that the Palm Desktop installer is using MSI now; I could be wrong.)

Yes, I tried installing the version on the Palm site. How do I reinstall the MS installer?

Disabled VirusScan and Zone Alarm. Same error message. Disabled all running processes that I could-- no error message, but MS installer would not run.

Tried to run in Safe Mode, but remembered that the CD is not recognized.

USB does work on Win 98. Even back to Win 95SE or whatever they called it.

Still stuck. icon_frown.gif

This won't help with your problem, but just for the record...

quote:
Originally posted by MotorBug:

USB does work on Win 98. Even back to Win 95SE or whatever they called it.

Windows 95 OSR2 was the first version of Windoze that supported USB.

Ok, stupid question, but it literally solves over 50% of the calls I get here at work...

Have you rebooted your computer? icon_biggrin.gif

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

FWIW, I just installed Palm Desktop for MY Zire 71 in mid-September, on a 5 year old PC running Win98 (not 2nd edition). I do recall one error message popping up during the install off the CD, but I think I clicked "OK" and the installation proceeded along. Everything runs fine, so far as I know. And yeah, that's using a USB.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

I don't know if you'd feel comfortable doing this, but here's another option:

Uninstall the existing software, then delete the Palm folder, which is probably in your Program Files (or Progra~1 in Win9x). Then, at command prompt type regedit.

Use Edit>Find and search for all things involving the word Palm. Delete those entries (but not before backing up your registry).

Reboot/reinstall the Palm software using the newer version. If that doesn't work, something is borked with Windows. Fortunately, there is a fix with Win9x that isn't available in the same way it is on other OSes.

You can reinstall 9x over itself. Following the regular installation procedure, when the install tells you it wants to install to c:windows.000, remove the .000 and install. It will reinstall windows, while retaining all your previous settings. If you're using a 'restore' CD, that trashes everything and takes it back to the day you took it out of the box, so don't.

If all else fails, hollow threats involving large caliber weapons sometimes works to relieve pent up frustration from the above not working.

Brian

Team A.I.

Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

I don't know if you'd feel comfortable doing this, but here's another option: <anip>

Let see.... I have rebooted, warm, cold, MS-DOS mode, Safe Mode. No luck.

I had already tried deleting all Palm stuff on the HD and in the registry. No luck.

I guess reinstalling Windows is an option. Its been so long since did that I forget the drill. Guess I will polk around MS some more and see what is available.

Is there some elusive MS site that actually lists these errors?

From MS Knowledge Base:

Error Message: A Fatal Exception 06 Has Occurred at...

SYMPTOMS

During Microsoft Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second Edition Setup, you may receive the following error message:

A fatal exception 06 has occurred at <XXXX>:<XXXXXXXX>.

CAUSE

This behavior can occur if an earlier version of McAfee's VirusScan (anti- virus software) or Norton AntiVirus is being loaded from the Autoexec.bat file.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, disable McAfee VirusScan or Norton AntiVirus. To do so, follow these steps:

Restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key until the Windows 98 Startup menu appears, and then choose Command Prompt Only.

At the command prompt, type edit c:autoexec.bat, and then press ENTER.

Type rem, and then a space at the beginning of the line that contains Vshield.exe.

If you are using Norton AntiVirus, type rem and then a space at the beginning of the line added by Norton AntiVirus.

Save and then close the Autoexec.bat file.

Restart your computer. Setup should continue.

MORE INFORMATION

The third-party product discussed in this article is manufactured by a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or other- wise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow 30296_400.gif

And may no Admin bricks 19490_2600.gif fly your way

quote:
Originally posted by mrkablooey:
Originally posted by MotorBug:

Is there some elusive MS site that actually lists these errors?

http://www.apple.com/switch

icon_razz.gif

Cute, no cigar! icon_biggrin.gif

I used to be a Mac person in the days of 630CD I think was my last one. Work was part Apple, part PC, finally all PC, so I went back to PC. The 630 had horribe quality control. Needed a new logic board nearly out of the box.

About a year ago, I did buy a new Mac, but having remembered the nightmares of the prior PC to Mac conversion and lost data, took it back, unopened.