Window Decals

Hi everyone,

We just bought a "used" 2002 Xterra at an unbelievable price. It's not a 4x4, but I'm quite impressed with the offpavement performance. Geocaching had absolutely nothing to do with the vehicle selection. (Yeah, right.) icon_smile.gif I've already made up my mind to get a 2003 Supercharged 4x4 Xterra...in 2007 when they're affordable.

Anyway, it has tinted windows. I don't know if it's factory tint, but the rear window is pretty dark. I would guess that the window cling decal would not show through it very well.

Can anyone tell me if that's a correct assumption?

Also, about the round Euro style stickers, are they vinyl or paper based? I'd hate for one to end up faded and permenantly adhered to the glass like the (unfortunately) cheaply made "God Bless America" sticker on one of our other cars did after a year in the desert sun.

Any input is appreciated!

quote:
Originally posted by CreagerStone Family:

Hi everyone,

Anyway, it has tinted windows. I don't know if it's factory tint, but the rear window is pretty dark. I would guess that the window cling decal would not show through it very well.

Can anyone tell me if that's a correct assumption?

Even if you know it's there, it's next to impossible to see in the rear window of my Pontiac Transport Van with tinted windows. But you know what? Every time I look in my rear view mirror, it's the first thing I see. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Umm, and how long do you think that would last on the _outside_ of his window? Heh... people plunder caches - no reason to think they wouldn't swipe your window clingy while you are in the quickymart some afternoon. icon_razz.gif

http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/geobanana.gif http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/index.html

You spoiled my plan...I was hoping to get my hands on a free decal. icon_razz.gif

You're right though...I didn't really think about that when I posted. Although how many people would want a geocaching.com decal if they didn't know what it was?

quote:
Originally posted by CreagerStone Family:

Also, about the round Euro style stickers, are they vinyl or paper based? I'd hate for one to end up faded and permenantly adhered to the glass like the (unfortunately) cheaply made "God Bless America" sticker on one of our other cars did after a year in the desert sun.

Any input is appreciated!

Everyone else seems to be talking about the long static decal for the inside of your window.

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpggeol1.jpg

Mokita!

RAMNESS570, I want one of those! The way people describe my driving (caching or not), I probably NEED one to warn innocent bystanders. Especially when I'm holding a large Dunkin' Donuts coffee and squinting at my Etrex in the early morning darkness on my way to a new cache. And I drive a standard shift car. If you have any left, how do I get one??

WOW, i like that window sticker Ramness! Wish i could have gotten in on the buying of a couple of them for our vehicles. Maybe Jeremy will offer some of these in the near future.

Anyways, I bought a few of the GEO stickers, one has been on the Jeep for a couple of months now and is holding up great. They are vinyl so i imagine it should last a good while. As far as the clingy decals are concerned, you wouldnt be able to see it from the outside of any of our vehicles because of the tint.

If you leave the GEOCACHING.COM window cling on the WHITE backing, and tape the whole thing to the inside of your tinted back window, it's very visible. I've had mine up there for nearly a year.

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. 0:

You're right though...I didn't really think about that when I posted. Although how many people would want a geocaching.com decal if they didn't know what it was?

well.... i was thinking it would be about the same number as those who "collect" hood ornamates for cars they dont have icon_mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. 0:

well.... i was thinking it would be about the same number as those who "collect" hood ornamates for cars they dont have icon_mad.gif

You have a good point there. I guess I underestimate the power of stupid people sometimes. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LarsThorwald:

I put the sticker on the WINDSHIELD, just below the tint stripe on top. Looks great.

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

Did the same thing for my 4x4 "Dora". She's got a rag top so a back display of the cling decal was out. Looks great on the front. I got a lite tint and it shows though just fine.

Beside, more passengers notice it that way !

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.

I actually proposed the Idea to Jeremy about selling these, started a topic and everything. I think it was titled something along the lines of, how about a decal for those of us with tinted windows? Last September or October of 01. Several People liked the idea so with emailed permission from Jeremy I had 4, 26” wide decals made for a total of $60 out of my pocket. I even offered to send Jeremy one for free but he never replied with his address, so I sold the other 3 for $15 each. I had 4 more made several months later, sold 1, put 2 in new caches of mine, and have one left to take to a new sign shop to have it duplicated new time I order more.

Since the website states in the logo use section “The Groundspeak Geocaching Logos may be used only on non-commercial items. These items may include, but are not limited to shirts, hats, coins, logbooks, stickers and cache containers. If the lifetime use of the design is less than 25 units, you may consider permission automatically granted.”

Since I have currently made 8 of them, that leaves 16 more total I could have made without getting formal permission (which should not be a problem). I suppose I could see how many folks are interested and get a price quote on them…

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Fractal, you run those yourself?

CR

I modified the EPS version of the logo, then took that file down to a local print shop where they cut them out.

I had some made at 5x5 (inches) and I think they cost around $4-something each... Then I had some made at 6x6 and they cost a little over $5something each. Well worth it for a quality decal, and a logo I like icon_wink.gif

And before anyone asks(again), nope.. I don't currently have any. I gave the last ones out at an event cache in Washington hosted by Seth!

I'm not sure if I want to send out the file anymore, either. Mostly because I know Groundspeak might be making these, and I would hate to take (possible)money away from them by enabling people to make their own.

But, if they don't make them, I'll gladly share the file icon_cool.gif

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45? 30.ish

W 122? 58.ish

The reason I asked is I too asked for the .EPS logo and modified it for vinyl cutting. I used to own my own sign shop and still have of the equipment. I cut one for myself and put in my truck.

I know the .EPS file that I was sent was not vinyl-ready. I can't remember if I sent them the modified version are not.

Hmmm... I wonder if they would like for someone to run off a few hundred logos for them? I, and my equipment, are availible for hire!

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Hmmm... I wonder if they would like for someone to run off a few hundred logos for them? I, and my equipment, are availible for hire!

CR

Very cool! That would be great if they could work something out with you sometime soon, and at a reasonable price icon_wink.gif

-fractal