100 General Rules for Geocaching

1. Park in the suggested area.

2. Mark the parking area as a waypoint.

3. Take the suggested trail/path.

4. Resist bushwacking until absolutly necessary.

5. When considering turning off the trail you are on - walk well past where you want to turn. There might be a better alternative just ahead.

[This message was edited by Skully & Mulder et al. on June 01, 2002 at 11:46 AM.]

***BRING WATER!!!***

Ever since I got severely dehydrated on a hunt gone wrong, I've been sure to have water with me on *every* hunt, and you know what? It sure makes you less sore the next day. icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and the "Golden Rule of Geocaching" is "Take something, leave something." I wouldn't think that's a good one to overlook, eh? (And no, you don't *have* to trade, but if you take something, leave something.)

***BRING WATER!!!***

Ever since I got severely dehydrated on a hunt gone wrong, I've been sure to have water with me on *every* hunt, and you know what? It sure makes you less sore the next day. icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and the "Golden Rule of Geocaching" is "Take something, leave something." I wouldn't think that's a good one to overlook, eh? (And no, you don't *have* to trade, but if you take something, leave something.)

I'm very sure water i very necesary.

I've been hunting on a cache in the mountains here in Thailand.. I didn't have enough water with me and that's not very good.. I was really tired when i was back at the car.. I drunk 4 small bottles of water in 5 minutes when i was at the car..

When wounded water can also help with cleaning..

Thailand is always around 30 degrees celsius so water is very inportend

Don't mather how far you get from home, you will always get back there to get out again

Now that we're entering "prime geocaching season," Skully & Mulder had a good idea bringing this topic up again. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Skully & Mulder et al.:

1. Park in the suggested area.

2. Mark the parking area as a waypoint.

3. Take the suggested trail/path.

4. Resist bushwacking until absolutly necessary.

5. When considering turning off the trail you are on - walk well past where you want to turn. There might be a better alternative just ahead.

So let's see ... folks have added:

6. Bring plenty of water (an energy bar or two would also be a good idea for those long or difficult adventures.)

7. If you take something, leave something of similar or better value.

I would include:

8. Respect the property rights of adjoining properties/respect the rules of the "controlled" area. (Keep in mind the NPS mantra of "Leave No Trace.")

9. Leave a note/tell someone where you are going and when you intend to be back.

This suggestion is not of the same importance as the safety suggestions, so I won't number it, but it's my major geocaching pet-peeve:

Re-hide the cache to match its difficulty rating.

I know most cachers make a conscientious effort to rehide the cache exactly as they found it, but all it takes is for one visitor to "do it wrong" to turn a major challenge into a major disappointment.

10. Don't start off by saying, "Honey, wait in the car, this will only take 10 minutes."

At least not if you want to get back to the car with a happy wife when you return. So many times I am tempted to pull over when my wife is with me to just 'get one more'. I think I have learned to either get her involved and go with me, or let her go home and head out on my own.

Everywhere that cache is found,

Bound to Cover Just a Little More Ground.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Oh, and the "Golden Rule of Geocaching" is "Take something, leave something."

Even more important in my book is "Log your find." (both in the book and online) Cache hiders put a lot of time and effort into finding nice places for us to go out and discover (not to mention their own hard earned money into the cache boxes and trade items). The least we can do is show our appreciation by taking a few moments to give some feedback. icon_smile.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Oh, and the "Golden Rule of Geocaching" is "Take something, leave something."

Even more important in my book is "Log your find." (both in the book and online) Cache hiders put a lot of time and effort into finding nice places for us to go out and discover (not to mention their own hard earned money into the cache boxes and trade items). The least we can do is show our appreciation by taking a few moments to give some feedback. icon_smile.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

Always bring a second pair of Bataries for your GPS unit.. incase you might run out of bataries..

You never know how lost you get when searching for a cache.. let stand finding your way back without a GPS unit

Don't mather how far you get from home, you will always get back there to get out again

Here are a few suggestions:

Try to leave the area of the cache as you found it.

Don't hide a cache in such a way that searchers are likely to cause the area to look like a battlefield.

If a cache is well hidden, then the coordinates should be very accurate.

If you can't find a cache, post anyway, so that other searchers and the cache placer will know that it may be AWOL.

Make comments about caches with the same regard you would comment about someones children. Not all children are mannerly, beautiful, or nice to be around, but to their parents they are still special.

Trade even, and if the cache is getting slim, try to trade more than even.

Try to place a cache so that searchers are able to retrieve it without being observed. Consider that the area may be more populated at certain times, compared to the day you hide it.

If the cache is in a place where you may be observed by a passerby, carry it away from the hiding place before opening.

Carry a "cache maintenance kit": a copy of the cache note, some plastic zip lock bags, a hand towel and some paper towels for drying.

If the cache is leaking and getting wet, let the owner know, either in the log or by e-mail.

Enjoy the outdoors, smell the flowers, notice the wildlife, take interest in the cache site, there is a lot more to this than finding little containers with a high tech gadget.

When a little voice says to you, "there must be a better way to get there", there probably is. If the terrain rating is a 2, and you find yourself clinging to the edge of a cliff, you probably did something wrong.

FWIW,

CharlieP

quote:
Originally posted by CharlieP:

Suggestions - not rules - I hate rules ...

Charlie, I like your suggestions. If only more people would follow them. icon_frown.gif

icon_smile.gif Thanks, and cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by CharlieP:

Suggestions - not rules - I hate rules ...

Charlie, I like your suggestions. If only more people would follow them. icon_frown.gif

icon_smile.gif Thanks, and cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

Charlie,

All great advice. Your comments are exactly the type response I was looking for.

Actually, I want to put a checklist together for our Geocaching adventures. It seems I always forget something. It will be seperated into five groups. What to do/bring:

1. Before leaving home.

2. Before leaving the parking area.

3. Before leaving the cache site.

4. After arriving at the parking area.

5. After arriving home.

quote:
El Diablo says, "listen to your wife"

Are you nuts?

I agree with everything you folks have written but would like to suggest we all start doing what I always fail to do.

Tell someone where you are going and when you'll be back.

Maybe this could be a "Members" feature on this site.

Post the GC number, time of departure, expected time of return with a few contact numbers.

Then after you get back, you can log in and let the site know that all is okay.

The reason I mmention this site specifically versus Family, friends, etc. is that we all have access to the destination point and the equipment to find it.

If someone shows up missing the local police department may not have the ability (equipment or knowhow) to find a point based on coordinates alone.

Could this be used as a prank? Yes, but you might know the person who's missing and their character. Does anyone here think Fractal (as an example) would pull a prank like this? I sure don't.

What do you think?

quote:
Originally posted by The Heavenly Host:

10. Don't start off by saying, "Honey, wait in the car, this will only take 10 minutes."

At least not if you want to get back to the car with a happy wife when you return. So many times I am tempted to pull over when my wife is with me to just 'get one more'. I think I have learned to either get her involved and go with me, or let her go home and head out on my own.

Everywhere that cache is found,

Bound to Cover Just a Little More Ground.

-Dru Morgan http://www.theheavenlyhost.com

Make sure she doesn't have set of car keys!!!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command