Anybody still interessted in Caching?

Can we all please get back to relevant topics? This forum used to be a great place to learn about the game....lately....I digress.

Here is a topic.....Microcaches..love'm or hate'm?

I can never find them first time out... probably because I am always in a rush or being watched....

but what is your take on tiny caches? How small is too small?

1/2 pint container?

Film canister?

Chapstick tube (cleaned out of course)?

Chime in!

AMEN!

We were going to drive to Chicago to get our Wedding Bands and Geocache icon_rolleyes.gif , but the Midwest got socked with a good snowstorm. We were planning to go agian this weekend, but the weather is supposed to be rotten again (driving down the highway in 45 mph wind gusts is NO fun).

I WANT TO GEOCACHE!!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

AMEN!

We were going to drive to Chicago to get our Wedding Bands and Geocache icon_rolleyes.gif , but the Midwest got socked with a good snowstorm. We were planning to go agian this weekend, but the weather is supposed to be rotten again (driving down the highway in 45 mph wind gusts is NO fun).

I WANT TO GEOCACHE!!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

quote:
Your right!! I've read all I want to about this, and I'm going to find a cache!!

Me too. I'm giong to find my first cache tomorrow. My GPS isn't delivered yet, but there is one here in town that is hidden in an area of underbrush that is only a quarter acre or so at the back of a V-shaped public park, it's all residential on the back two sides and lawn on the front side (I know because on the cache map it's in an area I'm very familiar with, used to wait for a bus at a spot overlooking the park) so my search boundaries are pretty narrow. Don't think I'll need the GPSR for that one. icon_cool.gif

=-=-=-=-=

Opus P

Crathvaf Ehyr

Visit my Buddhist Reading Room.

quote:
Your right!! I've read all I want to about this, and I'm going to find a cache!!

Me too. I'm giong to find my first cache tomorrow. My GPS isn't delivered yet, but there is one here in town that is hidden in an area of underbrush that is only a quarter acre or so at the back of a V-shaped public park, it's all residential on the back two sides and lawn on the front side (I know because on the cache map it's in an area I'm very familiar with, used to wait for a bus at a spot overlooking the park) so my search boundaries are pretty narrow. Don't think I'll need the GPSR for that one. icon_cool.gif

=-=-=-=-=

Opus P

Crathvaf Ehyr

Visit my Buddhist Reading Room.

quote:
Originally posted by tecmage:

_AMEN!_

_I WANT TO GEOCACHE!!!!!!!!!!_ icon_mad.gif

45mph? When we (RedwoodRed and I) were comming back from our Hillboro trip (340 mi as a crow flies. 1240+ mile just to find ONE cache, but we hit other on the way) we were in 40 with gusts to 60. Nice night drive home. Sideways rain always a plus.. icon_smile.gif

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

1240 plus miles and only 8 caches?

quote:
Originally posted by tecmage:

_AMEN!_

_I WANT TO GEOCACHE!!!!!!!!!!_ icon_mad.gif

45mph? When we (RedwoodRed and I) were comming back from our Hillboro trip (340 mi as a crow flies. 1240+ mile just to find ONE cache, but we hit other on the way) we were in 40 with gusts to 60. Nice night drive home. Sideways rain always a plus.. icon_smile.gif

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

1240 plus miles and only 8 caches?

Went out yesterday with Tslack and bagged 10 caches, revisited 2 I had been to, but he hadn't yet, for a grand total of 12 visited for the day. Haven't done anything like that in a long time, and it was as much fun as ever.

Pick a cache

Find it

Sign the logbook

Go find another

Still pretty simple, no? Also still a blast.

bunkerdave

6327_1600.gif

Consider me paid, thankful for the family opportunities geocaching.com provided, unafraid of privacy issues, unlikely to shun non-paying cachers, likely to hide public caches, appreciative of Jeremy, glad for your dissenting opinions, and honored to be part of this community. Did I miss anything? Oh, yes... let's go geocaching!

geologo.gif

Microcaches have their place. The middle of the woods is not one of them. icon_mad.gif

Sometimes a film canister is the only way to go in an urban area.

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

Can we all please get back to relevant topics? This forum used to be a great place to learn about the game....lately....I digress.

I can never find them first time out... probably because I am always in a rush or being watched....

1/2 pint container?

Film canister?

Chime in!

Microcaches have their place. The middle of the woods is not one of them. icon_mad.gif

Sometimes a film canister is the only way to go in an urban area.

quote:

1/2 pint container?

Film canister?

Chime in!

quote:

Microcaches..love'm or hate'm?

A film canister hidden right under the nose of the general public in a public spot, in view but not quite reachable without some sort of device = lots of fun.

A film canister exceptionally well-hidden in an area of poor GPS reception, where the seeker will be highly conspicuous = not fun.

My two favorite film canister caches were "No Commercial Vehicles" on Long Island, NY, and "The Teddy Roosevelt" in NJ. Two very different approaches; both were great fun.

My least favorite was a film canister hidden within a stone wall of a historical ruin. A small stone had been removed, the canister placed, and the stone replaced so that no one could tell. That type of placement will certainly cause damage to or destruction of the historical site. (In this case, the cache owner wisely moved the canister to a non-sensitive location.)

So to answer the question directly, I think a film canister is the smallest I would look for; at my advancing age, I probably wouldn't be able to see anything smaller without changing glasses. icon_rolleyes.gif

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on March 09, 2002 at 03:01 AM.]

quote:

Microcaches..love'm or hate'm?

A film canister hidden right under the nose of the general public in a public spot, in view but not quite reachable without some sort of device = lots of fun.

A film canister exceptionally well-hidden in an area of poor GPS reception, where the seeker will be highly conspicuous = not fun.

My two favorite film canister caches were "No Commercial Vehicles" on Long Island, NY, and "The Teddy Roosevelt" in NJ. Two very different approaches; both were great fun.

My least favorite was a film canister hidden within a stone wall of a historical ruin. A small stone had been removed, the canister placed, and the stone replaced so that no one could tell. That type of placement will certainly cause damage to or destruction of the historical site. (In this case, the cache owner wisely moved the canister to a non-sensitive location.)

So to answer the question directly, I think a film canister is the smallest I would look for; at my advancing age, I probably wouldn't be able to see anything smaller without changing glasses. icon_rolleyes.gif

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on March 09, 2002 at 03:01 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I did this one last week.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=15409

It was a small flat/round magnet about an inch across. The location was an interesting place to go and see. There would be nowhere you could hide even a film canister there. The magnet is in open view if you know what you are looking for.

Someone after me failed to find it, so it must be a challenge of some sort.

I thought it was fun, and a bit more interesting that a virtual cache.

Alex.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I did this one last week.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=15409

It was a small flat/round magnet about an inch across. The location was an interesting place to go and see. There would be nowhere you could hide even a film canister there. The magnet is in open view if you know what you are looking for.

Someone after me failed to find it, so it must be a challenge of some sort.

I thought it was fun, and a bit more interesting that a virtual cache.

Alex.