Multicache has an email step...

Tprints

Just asking for opinions on a new Multicache in my area. It's 3 parts with the 2nd micro-container having an email address inside. You must send an email to the hider using this address and then wait for him to respond with the final coord before you can continue to the final cache.

There is no mention of this email step in the write up, just a vague mention that it may not be possible to complete this cache in one day.

Of course you may have already guessed that I think this really sucks. Any other opinions?

Here's the cache...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=27d56a22-a163-40ff-b86b-b7d585bdb6aa

http://www.tprints.com

Top 5% Web Site/Top 50 Game Site

I disagree with the cache, in that it's possible that it could take days to get the last parts. Given schedules, emergencies, life in general, it's always possible to be indisposed for a week or two. Creates a "false sense" that it can be easily completed in two days.

Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side

Since this guy has had caches plundered, he thinks he has a good reason for the email thing.

I agree that it sucks. How would someone from out of town be able to find the cache? When I'm on vacation I don't have access to email. I might plan a couple of days to do this cache (since that's what it says) and not be able to complete it. What happens when he is away from his computer for the weekend when I come to town? There's a wasted day of cache hunting for me!

If he's having caches plundered, then he should learn how to hide them better. He shouldn't make them virtually impossible to get through the red tape!

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

When I approved this cache, I had no idea about the e-mail step. It's OK for a difficulty 4 cache to have a "catch" in it, which requires you to go to the library for researching a puzzle, or to the web. But relying on someone to respond to an e-mail can be problematic, as noted above. It would also be problematic if the hider uses the e-mail step as a screening tool, as in "I don't know you, so I won't share the final coordinates with you." (I am certainly not suggesting that this is the case here.) Caches should be accessible to all who comply with the requirements for the hunt.

Perhaps it might be better to have the coordinates on a web page whose URL is disclosed in the second step cache container? Or, set up an e-mail address with an autoresponder. You send a message and the coordinates are automatically sent back to you, as in immediately. Either method can be set up in a way that tracks the e-mail or IP address of the person who's accessing the final coordinates, if the owner is interested in seeing that information.

I hope that the hider might take one of these suggestions as a way to improve what looks to be a challenging cache. I liked his creative response to having caches plundered... I just didn't know he went to such great lengths!

TPrints, if the hider does not read the forums, perhaps you could be kind enough to let him know about this discussion and any helpful suggestions posted here. I would also be happy to assist.... feel free to send me an e-mail.

--------------------

Saving the day and approving all the caches... before bedtime!

If you're going to require someone to e-mail you to get the final coords, you need to say so in the description. Same for an autoresponder or URL.

I live about 2 hours from Erie and I'm in the process of planning a trip over there to hunt some caches. I'm going to scratch this one off my list. I would have been rather PO'd if I had started the hunt for this cache without knowing I couldn't hope to complete it. I could do it in 2 days, my first day would be in September, the second might not be until 2004 or later.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

I really don't have a problem with it because he does mention the fact that it will take two trips to complete the cache.

I know of another one where the cache is on an island and the cache owner has a canoe locked on the shore. When you reach the canoe, you find the phone number of the owner and have to call him for the combination.

This is similar. Best of all, you have the choice of not hunting this cache if you don't like it.

There is another cache near this one that that did bother me a bit. It's listed as a traditional cache, but when you get there, you find out its a multi. I noticed from the logs, that I wasn't the only person annoyed by this fact. The owner encrypts any log that mentions the extra stage. I think the owner should at least make it a "mystery cache" if he doesn't want to let on that its a multi.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 04, 2003 at 04:37 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Runaround:

If you're going to require someone to e-mail you to get the final coords, you need to say so in the description.

I agree. One could then decide while browsing the cache description if they wanted to attempt the cache ... or not.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I know of another one where the cache is on an island and the cache owner has a canoe locked on the shore. When you reach the canoe, you find the phone number of the owner and have to call him for the combination.

I remember a cache like that that was archived long ago. (Assuming we're talking about the same cache ... I discovered it was archived when I came across the recycled logbook at another of his caches.) The difference in that case was the phone number was provided by the cache owner as a courtesy. One could have used their own mode of transportation without contacting the cache owner.

quote:
Best of all, you have the choice of not hunting this cache if you don't like it.
But the point is, you can't make an informed decision about skipping this cache if you don't know all the details. If I know I'm going to have to e-mail halfway through and wait, that's one thing. If I think "I have 3 days in that area, it'll only take two, I'll go for it", then find out at Stage Whatever that I need access to e-mail, it's a little late to decide to skip that one.

If the person posts that you will need to email AND!!! also set up an account that has auto respond turned on with the coordinates in the email. This way you don't have to wait for the person to check an email. Though I do personally think setting up a webpage be better with the url to go to. Set up a puzzle to do online then go back to nature.

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.