Use a Laptop or A PDA along with a GPSr.

I was wondering how many of you use a laptop or PDA along with your GPSr. I don't rember any polls like this before. If you use one what software do your use with it? I am also posting to see if I got rid of my avator.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

I just bought an inverter so I could run my laptop on the road, and I have Delorme Topo USA Regional (~$40). I plugged my Etrex Legend into it and went on a camping trip recently, and WOW! With my buddy riding copilot/navigator, we found some really cool hikes up in the mountains. It was a blast to drive along and see the arrow move in real-time on the map as we went, and to see what kind of landmarks we were near. It really came in handy when I was trying to find an old camping spot, and the road came to a triple fork whereas I couldn't remember which one to take.

I'm happy enough for now with the Delorme software, despite a couple of 'candy' features I'd like to see. It will exchange waypoints, tracks, and routes with most gpsr's, but it won't upload map info yet. I haven't really explored the map features in my Legend, so uploading maps isn't a priority to me at this point.

-m

Mike "mighkel" Underwood

Boise, ID

------------------------

STURGEON GENERAL WARNING: Fishing can decrease the risk of long-term employment, a meaningful relationship, and any chance of financial independence... Oh well.

quote:
Originally posted by mighkel:

I haven't really explored the map features in my Legend, so uploading maps isn't a priority to me at this point.

I'm also a fan of maps, I use iPAQ, laptop connected to a Legend, just like you.

You are right (if I understood correctly) that the PC/PDA base (topo) maps are much superior to maps in standalone GPSrs. The base map of the Legend is really ridiculous, however, MapSource TOPO could be quite useful is certain circumstances.

I love using the Palm to grab a chuck of geocaching

infromation, cache descriptions, logs and notes so that I avoid printing out tons of use once paper.

The palm has been used massively in the last couple of months for this. The use of the oft mentioned palmable data is key

On ce I got the connector cable for between the plam and my etrex things really got rocking. I can use the plam as a tracklog keeper, a differnt gps gui and as a holder for data that wont fit in the gps.

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

I recently bought a power inverter and my family and I went from Southern Cal. to just past Bakersfield for the 4th of July weekend using Mapsend Topo and MS streets and Trips (only for driving directions icon_redface.gif). I planned a few "treasure hunts" in the area and in the Sequoia Natl. Forest. This was my wife's first experience at sharing a seat with the Laptop icon_biggrin.gif. It fits between our seats but it won't open enough for me to really see it well enough icon_mad.gif. She was having fun (sort of) as Navigator. I'll probably let her drive tomorrow icon_wink.gif. The kids enjoyed watching us "move" up the computer screen. I also have a PDA and plan to begin using it to save the cache info. (I need a couple more hands - I've got to get the family more into this)

I recently bought a power inverter and my family and I went from Southern Cal. to just past Bakersfield for the 4th of July weekend using Mapsend Topo and MS streets and Trips (only for driving directions icon_redface.gif). I planned a few "treasure hunts" in the area and in the Sequoia Natl. Forest. This was my wife's first experience at sharing a seat with the Laptop icon_biggrin.gif. It fits between our seats but it won't open enough for me to really see it well enough icon_mad.gif. She was having fun (sort of) as Navigator. I'll probably let her drive tomorrow icon_wink.gif. The kids enjoyed watching us "move" up the computer screen. I also have a PDA and plan to begin using it to save the cache info. (I need a couple more hands - I've got to get the family more into this)

Just got a lap top and already have Delorme Topo 3.0, hooked up the III+ and yeah way cool. Just got to use it only to drive into town a couple of times but I like it. We are planning a trip to FL so it's either the lap top or the SP III. Might not have enough room with the GF in the passenger seat.

I use the laptop at home hooked to a usb hub for Internet use. I can take the laptop to update my Garmin V when mobile (Mapsource).

I can copy the log to a text document and sync that to the Palm m515. Save paper that way. I also put my personal log entries into the palm, sync up and copy-paste into logs at home.

nscaler

"Anyone not here, raise your hand!".

[This message was edited by nscaler on July 06, 2002 at 09:30 AM.]

I have been using my laptop to get to general area on caches and it helps a great deal to see maps in greater detail. I also save cache sites web pages on laptop so I save paper. Then I write my feedback on the caches I visit while I am there so I don't have to try to remember what I did. I has been a great tool. icon_cool.gif

I have been using my laptop to get to general area on caches and it helps a great deal to see maps in greater detail. I also save cache sites web pages on laptop so I save paper. Then I write my feedback on the caches I visit while I am there so I don't have to try to remember what I did. I has been a great tool. icon_cool.gif

I've been using my e-Map and MapSource Topo maps. I recently upgraded to 16 meg of memory. Between that and my Palm M500 (geoclipping notes, etc) life is good! icon_biggrin.gif

:EEK: Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

I've been using my e-Map and MapSource Topo maps. I recently upgraded to 16 meg of memory. Between that and my Palm M500 (geoclipping notes, etc) life is good! icon_biggrin.gif

:EEK: Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

I use both, but with different degrees of love.

The PDA is great. Carrying around hundreds of pieces of paper just seems so primitive in comparison.

I tried S&A Dlx 9 on a laptop while travelling and honestly, it was just too much of a pain to use on a regular basis. By the time I had the cables (mic and headset becuase the built-in audio was unsufficient for spoken directions, gps cable, power cable for both) all worked out, it was a fragile mess. The LCD can't really be seen in the sunlight. Plus there's the reality that geocaching often takes me to less-than-well-guarded parking spaces and leaving an obviously expensive thing in the car makes me nervous.

Got a cable from eBay that connects the two for about $15.

MS Pocket Streets (using MS Streets & Trips as the base at home) provides me with street maps...Delorme xMap does the topos (using Topo USA 4.0 on the home PC as the base).

The iPaq's color screen is great for this. I rarely actually use the PDA to locate the cache itself, but rather the general area the cache is in (to locate roads to get closer to the cache, etc.)

Scott

32121_600.jpg

Lynchburg, Virginia

We use the Garmin eMAP GPSr with the 12v power adaptor and serial connector cord in the car.

The serial connector goes to our Toshiba Laptop which is powered through a Whistler power inverter powered from the car. We generally use MapPoint and MapSource off of the Laptop for navigating real-time.

We also just started using our older Handspring Deluxe with the new query feature. Pretty Cool - saves on printing.

I want to get an adaptor for our cell phone next so we could dial up to the Internet from the laptop while in route. Now that woud be even more fun.