Beginning to think Garmin Sucks

bhist

Bhist, The solution to this problem was posted in these forums on Arpil 23, 2003. Look for a post authored by "The Mcflurrys". I think maybe you should edit your first post of this thread so you don't get sued for libel. Glad to see you have your problem solved. Now enjoy the sport.

quote:
Originally posted by RangerRick:

"...The solution to this problem was posted in these forums on Arpil 23, 2003. Look for a post authored by "The Mcflurrys"..."

You're the second one here to point out that discussion. It's funny how some answers can be right there in front of you ...but then again, it's hard to type a forum search when your fists are clenched.

(...my *last* post to this thread, I *promise* icon_wink.gif)

As much as it pains me to admit it ...being both a Magellan owner, and not exactly a fan of the 'omniscient' Cache Canucks...

This was never about Garmin, but was entirely about learning how to use your computer. Count your blessings that Garmin didn't bill you for the computer tech 'support' ...I would have if I was them.

I had a Magellan 315 when I first started geocaching. I returned it to the store because it was having problems. I would be standing still and my coordinates would jump around up to 300'. I just figure that the unit didn't survive shipping. I'm not bashing Magellan, I have worked in the electronics industry before in manufacturing and factory repair of computer network communicaions systems, both satellite and ground systems. Sometimes they just break. I bought a Garmin III+ next and I have been very happy with it, I just should have waited a month and bought the V when it came out. I now have a Magellan GPS Companion for my Palm m515 that I am also happy with. I mostly use the Garmin, but when I'm in an area where the Garmin won't get a good signal, or when I want 'another opinion' I use the Magellan also. Both work really well, but the Palm/Magellan combo is a little more fragile (and a lot more expensive) so they aren't used most of the time. The only complaint with the Magellan is that I can't get it to download waypoints from a program like EasyGPS. Maybe someone else can point me in the right directon.

I know the problem was identified as a port grab with HotSync, but I thought I would post this as another thing to look at in the event you are having port issues.

I briefly read through this stream, so if this was stated earlier, I apologize.

You will need to check your BIOS to ensure your Ports are set to Auto or something similar. If you don't have an automatic setting, make sure your setting is at a speed that is equal to or greater than your GPS receiver's setting. If that is ok, then go to your Device Manager and check the port setting there for the Com port you are hooked into (typically COM 1), and ensure the port speed is set to a speed that is equal to or higher than the GPS receiver's setting. How you get to the Device Manager depends a lot on which OS you have.

Cheers!

TL

I wish I could help ya bud...I had the same problem with my rino110 every time I tried to send info to it from mapsource.I have no idea as to how I fixed it but I sat here at my pc for a half a day messing with different things and somehow got it to work.

Once you figure it out you will love your garmin.I love mine!!!

Help!! I spent a small fortune for what I thought would be one of the top of the line in GPS units, the Etrex Vista, but I'm finding it's a piece of crap (at least the instructions and the Garmin website is a piece of crap). I keep having problems transferring data from Mapsource and GPSeasy to the unit. I get the error message that says, "There is a problem with the COMM Port" and I tried Comms 1-4) serial ports and none worked.

If you bought a Vista that connects through a serial port, it is a discontinued model - no longer top of the line.

Edited by jmundinger

Garmin totally sucks. I have a very expensive GPS MAP 76S that only works with XP and a serial port. Anyone remember the last time those were mainstream? Now it's a paperweight. Buy anything but Garmin or youll end up broke or out of luck

Rich

You can buy a serial-to-USB cable at computer parts suppliers for 10$ or so. (Not offering excuses, just solutions).

In any case, the 76s is not a current model. It first came out 5 years ago. Newer models support USB.

Help!! I spent a small fortune for what I thought would be one of the top of the line in GPS units, the Etrex Vista...

If you bought a Vista that connects through a serial port, it is a discontinued model - no longer top of the line.

You know that you are replying to a 6+ year old post?

Help!! I spent a small fortune for what I thought would be one of the top of the line in GPS units, the Etrex Vista...

You know that you are replying to a 6+ year old post?

Thank you for responding to a 6 year old post.

Not only was the original rant and responses a HOOT, but it brought back memories of Freedom Fries and Freedom Toast which were the most bizarre response to a nations right to decide when to, or not to involve itself in the "war" of another nation. :D

I have friends and relatives who have fought in the Canadian Armed Forces and a wife who has spent time in the Forces and none of them ever understood why the deep fried potato slices were punished and needed to enroll in the witness protection program. :D

Help!! I spent a small fortune for what I thought would be one of the top of the line in GPS units, the Etrex Vista, but I'm finding it's a piece of crap (at least the instructions and the Garmin website is a piece of crap). I keep having problems transferring data from Mapsource and GPSeasy to the unit. I get the error message that says, "There is a problem with the COMM Port" and I tried Comms 1-4) serial ports and none worked. I had no problem running my palm pilot on that port before hand. I even went to the Garmin (piece of crap) website (man, I feel like they took my money and ran with it--I wish I'd bought the Magellan instead -- Garmin if you're reading this, then -- oh, heck GARMIN doesn't care) and downloaded the newest version of software for Etrex Vista. Guess what, they're instructions say this about installing the software to the unit, "Connect your GPS to your computer using a GARMIN PC Interface cable to an open serial port. Turn the GPS on, place it in Simulator mode (refer to your owner's manual for instructions) and verify that the Interface Mode (found under the Main Menu page, refer to your owner's manual for instructions) is set to GARMIN, GRMN, GRMN/GRMN, or Data Transfer/Host mode." Well, any of you nice folks that have a unit like mine, please go to your manual and see if you can find anything about "simulation mode" -- I could not. But, I did set my unit up for Garmin. Did all that and got the same error port message. So, I can't even install this new software. I might have to take the unit back and just get my money back. Sorry for all my whining, but I run a lot of software on all kinds of hardware and GARMIN takes the cake --worst product and most unfriendly unit. For those of you out there thinking of buying a GARMIN -- DO NOT -- repeat DO NOT -- it will only give you nightmares. <BR><BR>BTW--I'm running Windows XP. Anyone out there think they can help me? I'd like to at least get out the gate and start searching for caches, if you know what I mean.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Bob<BR><BR>P.S.--I've noticed other complaints about the lack of Garmin support for their units. I'd like to suggest a major boycott on GARMIN along with French products. I think Garmin needs a lesson in customer support and we have the ability here to do something about it. Are you game?<BR><BR><A HREF="http://www.vonsworks.com" TARGET=_blank>www.vonsworks.com</A><BR><A HREF="http://www.friendslittlebighorn.com" TARGET=_blank>www.friendslittlebighorn.com</A>

***Edited Because of great Server Perf.... Forget it, I'm not typing all that again....

But don't worry theres a light at the end of the tunnel, it will get better.......

<Wait that light I think it might be a train>

I'm out...

Edited by solo63137

As this is a six year old thread (that jumped the track at post #1) and the continuation of it is just bizarre, I'm locking this thread.

Just to head off those that cry "censorship", if you're going to rail about Garmin sucking it needs to be in a new (or at least related) thread and it'll be more credible if there isn't a generation gap in the equipment being discussed. A Chevy Vega didn't have an iPod controller, either. (Of all the reasons the Vega sucked, that wasn't one.)