4 Wheeling and Geocaching

JustRuns

Starting to get some people interested in geocache. We have 4 National Runs planned this spring/summer. We are thinking about the same thing. We have over 250 members on our forum which is less than 6 months old. L.O.S.T. KJJeep Forum

Got a couple members with GPSr ( I have a Gamin Street Pilot III ) that wight be interested. Runs are planned for Paragon, PA...Moab, Ut...Big Bear, Ca...Barnwell Mountain, Tx.

L.O.S.T. #000001 ( Liberty Owners Special Team )

Garmin Street Pilot III...my first GPS

We're in the San Diego area. How about you?

-------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

How about a wheeler wannabe? I've got a 92 Bronco 32" tires that I bought while realizing how much time and work my $500 75 Blazer was going to be to get it doing ANYTHING...

Wherever you go there you are.

We are in San Diego, how about you?

quote:
Originally posted by L.O.S.T.DarbyWalters:

Starting to get some people interested in geocache. We have 4 National Runs planned this spring/summer. We are thinking about the same thing. We have over 250 members on our forum which is less than 6 months old. http://pub21.ezboard.com/bkjjeep

Got a couple members with GPSr ( I have a Gamin Street Pilot III ) that wight be interested. Runs are planned for Paragon, PA...Moab, Ut...Big Bear, Ca...Barnwell Mountain, Tx.

Hey, I might be interested in a Paragon run!....

I was just there back in October, and there were TONS of deerstands up in the trees. Someone said the land is open to hunters on the days the park is closed to offroaders/ATV'ers (during hunting season, of course).

Maybe someone augh-ta talk to Kyle Jr. to see if it would be cool to place some caches around the park...

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

quote:
Originally posted by L.O.S.T.DarbyWalters:

Starting to get some people interested in geocache. We have 4 National Runs planned this spring/summer. We are thinking about the same thing. We have over 250 members on our forum which is less than 6 months old. http://pub21.ezboard.com/bkjjeep

I'm an offroader who wants to get into geocaching. We were discussing it the other day on the L.O.S.T. forum. I first heard about Geocaching from a guy on the JeepsUnlimited forum. I'm in the process of purchasing (long story) a Garmin E-Map unit through an on-line store I came across on E-bay, then I hope to give Alan Travis a little business to buy the data cartridge and maps and accesories. It would appear that geocaching has a lot in common with Jeep (and Harley) ownership: Just Empty Every Product. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Wally- maybe you could add a geocaching topic to the KJJEEP board; point people over here for info and let them discuss the geocaching adventures in an offroading context.

quote:
Originally posted by headmj:

I'm suprised the local environmental wackos haven't been all over this yet. SUV's and geoCaching? OMIGOD! The end of the universe as we know it!!!

Actually, many offroading clubs are affiliated with "Tread Lightly", which advocates reasoned and thoughtful use of outdoor resources. Offroad use related clubs (e.g. Jeeps, ATVs, Mountain Bikes, etc.) are actually becoming defacto "environmental police" in some locales because that is how they ensure continued access to outdoor use lands. Our local 4WD clubs (under the PNW4WDA and others) perform many hours of public service to keep trails open and policed of those who would give our sport a bad name. We also have a good rapore [sp?] with local law enforcement and ranger agencies because of many years of positive involvement by club members. That is one reason that Washington and Oregon have a number of multi-use state lands designated as Offroad Vehicle usage areas. [i like to think of them as playgrounds for responsible adults ...]

Hey were geocachers in San Diego. We have 2 Jeeps, His and Hers. Oh wait, We are also members of Justruns. I think that we even helped hide a couple of those caches! Nice to catch up with you on the forum. This really is a great Sport. We now have found over 80 caches.

Thanks

SlabyFam Dad

Tim

quote:
Hey Art...

The L.O.S.T. KJ Runs are open to anybody. We, L.O.S.T., don't charge anything...you just have to pay the "park fees" at the area you wheel. It would be kewl if we could get permission to palnt a cache at Paragon.

Heavens no, I could never be seen wheelin with J@@ps!!... icon_redface.gif

No, I'm just kidding! I'm really NOT one of those snooty brand-specific wheelers....Just had to have a little fun!

I wheel with a couple of Toyota Landcruiser clubs, Yankee Toys & Gotham City Land Cruisers. Their always willing to run with anybody!... icon_smile.gif

Last time I was at Paragon it was just a small group of us. A Toy mini, a 4-runner, and an FJ40...Then, when we got to the park, there were two Wranglers looking for a group to join.

They actually did really well. I have pics up on the web if you're interested in seeing them.

ANyway, I think caching at Paragon would be cool.

Only thing is, you would have to make sure they dont hold up the groups.... icon_frown.gif

Paragon admin has this thing for getting people out of the park on time, too...

Are you gonna go to GSMTR in May?

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

We have been working on the Geocaching/ four wheeling thing for awhle now too.

We opened up a Geocaching section on the boards of Rockcrawler.com.

I have been searching for good ways to incorporate the two for a long time.

One of the guys that visits our boards also visits the L.O.S.T boards and led me here. icon_biggrin.gif Small world somedays icon_wink.gif I would love to hear some of the ideas floating around out there.

Cole Ford

Staff Writer

Rockcrawler.com

Lol. Whoops, my social Faux paus on the Land Cruiser mis-ID. Send me a full size pic, if ya got one. Looks sweet. My cache cruiser is a 94 Wrangler, 4' lift, 31 tires. Lined, so water doesn't matter. Few engine mods so far, but more on the drawing board if money ever starts growing on trees.

Anybody got co-ords to a money cache ?

Not very good pictures

This is the "pack" mine is the tiny one on the end.

Sscn0201.jpg

You can see the back end of "Good 'Ol Rusty" to the right.

Sscn0199.jpg

There is a challanging cache, Fordyce Creek Trail, that requires a Four by or ATV to get to. Well I guess you could, shudder, walk too.