Where is The Children In Need Geocaching Fox? - Find out here.

To save a bit on the Fox's SMS bill, why doesn't everyone who get his latest location post it on this thread.

That way everyone can monitor his progress without it costing him anything.

Position at 10:06 Saturday.

The FOX is 1.3 miles W of Canterbury travelling W at 34 miles per hour.

51 16 09N 01 02 57E (N51 16.150 E1 02.950)

[This message was edited by Richard & Beth on November 09, 2002 at 09:47 AM.]

its 2:40 pm, and the fox is driving down the M3 towards Winchester.... currently he's south of farnborough heading towards basingstoke.

Hoping to meet him with a cuppa up at The Campaign Cache, on the Andover Rd, north of Winchester.

(watch out for traffic queues at the bottom of Andover Rd, by the station: the road works & temporary lights are still a problem)

Paul

Team Blitz

No, I gave YOU the spare batteries....

Just caught the Fox at Chippenham Services. They got back on the road at 9.30am and intend to drive to St Austell for about 12.30, then back on the road to Cardiff. This will be mostly M5, then the Severn crossing.

After Cardiff they currently plan to drive across to Newport Pagnall services (whichever route Mark's route planner suggests) and intend to get to York bu tonight.

Please, please, please ring them if you want to meet up. They have to finish tonight (Mark is working at 8am tomorrow.....) so have to plan the route early.

Just tried the text thing as I'm waiting for waypoint 55. Here's the data...

2.5 SW of Highbridge

Traveling S at ?8 mph (near the speed limit I tell you!) icon_wink.gif

10:25

51'10'40N

02'58'37W

I don't think they have past w55 yet

MarcB

"We searched for hours in the cache area but all we could find was an ammo box in a little hollow. Suggest you archive the cache..."

[This message was edited by Monz on November 10, 2002 at 03:06 AM.]

Met up with Mark and Kevin at about 5.30

We had a good turnout with Tim and Carol as well as all five of the Wales Wanderers turning up.

They are now off to Newport Pagnall and then York before returning to Bradford. They must be truly mad.

Mark has asked me to say that he would be delighted to stop en route for anyone who wants to meet up with them. Go on give him a ring.

Dave

I just spoke with the Fox and he's departed the Leigh Delamere eastbound motorway services (just W of M4 Exit 17).

He's heading for the Newport Pagnell northbound motorway services (N of M1 Exit 14) and hopes to be there around 2100-2130h.

His route there will be M4->M25->M1 but he may deviate from that if he encounters bad traffic around London. Nevertheless, Newport Pagnell is his goal.

The Geocache UK Fox Hunt in aid of Children in Need Statistics & other bits.

But first a very very big thank you to those that helped.

Kevin, a work mate who gave up his weekend for the cause. Thanks Kev. To Tim & June for the help in getting the cache approved. To Moss Trooper, for stirring up the geocachers. And lastly to you guys that came out and caught us, you made it all worthwhile.

The catchers of the fox where as follows in the order you caught us:

Slyrithyn, Moss Trooper, Adrian John, Huga, SRH28 Sam, Web Wanderers, Icinianes, Richard & Beth, Dodgey Dave, Hornet (He was away on holiday but donated), Team Tate, Team Blitz, Koufos, Dwof, Tim & June, DJH, Dave & Nickey, Molinnis Crew, Nawtcher, Crazey Eddey, Ghost_in_the_machine, Dave Geo, Tim & Carol, Wales Wanderers, MCL, Washboy.

Rather than post what each of you donated I will give you the total amount raised. Suffice it to say you all donated bar one. The total amount raised for the cause was £385.00. The winner of the Tim & June Bear was Dave & Nickey (even though they woke us up in the Travel Lodge) Expenses where about £300.00 the amount to be donated to Children in Need will be £385.00. We used about £200 pounds of petrol the Travel Lodge cost £50.00. The Fox sent over 500 messages.

Many of you said we where mad, well it is nice to be in the asylum with you all. Geocachers are some of the nicest people I have met and I look forward to meeting some or all of you in the future.

Just a note for your Diary I am organising the next Charity Fox Hunt Event it will be being held over the Spring Bank Holiday 2003 and will last for 10 days. The dates for your diary from 24/05/2003 till 01/06/2003. I would like the choice of Charity to be decided by you the geocachers, also this time we will ask for the people that want to catch us to let us know and we will plan the route to suit. Again we will visit all parts of the country including Northern Ireland.

As the event will be covering two weekends and Bank Holiday Monday it would be nice if Geocachers around the country could arrange local meets in their areas and we would come along as well. This could take some planning this is the reason I will be posting the cache on geocaching.com in the next day or so. We will be able to make 5 event visits on both the weekends and the Monday. We can arrange others but as most people will be at work it might not be viable. But if you can organize a get together then we will be there for you.

I would like to make this the biggest Geocaching event the UK has ever seen and let the guys in the US know that we in the UK know how to party.

Mark (TheCat)

www.geocacheuk.com

I've been off the forum for a while and although I knew of the Fox hunt I was not able to chase - but on coming back I was a little disappointed that Mark's effort and enterprise did not raise more for Children in Need. But the fund is still open and although it does not go through Mark, contributions can still be made by phoning 08457 332233, if you can put up with Terry Wogan's dulcet tones. I have and raised the Fox's total to over £400.

What's that saying? "Every penny counts"? icon_wink.gif

It seems to me that the Fox raised money for CIN - Not a lot, perhaps, but it did do something.

I expect a lot of the chasers donated again - through other sponsored events, or through phoning up on the night etc.

Moreover, it also raised awareness, which is possibly more important. Not only awareness in cachers, but also thorugh the many thousands of "normal" people who saw the Fox throughout the hunt. That alone deserves a standing ovation. icon_biggrin.gif

So a round of applause for the Fox (even if he can't spell my name) for doing a grand job!!

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253