How many containers can you have at one GZ

When I say how many containers, can you have more than one ? - I don't mean those instances where you have double potted containers as they are obviously in the one location and there for logsheet protection. 
I am referring to having a cache container in one location (GZ) and a second hidden a little way off as a back up container 

Is there a guideline/rule about this 

ddm

• Funny 2

I was in San Fransisco earlier this year, and it seemed to be common practice to hide multiple containers. This traditional cache at lombard st had three containers at GZ, and then four other different containers around the street area in case those got muggled. There were similar things at other caches (although not as extreme).

Not sure if the guidelines have changed, though.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 3
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Smitherington said:

The only time I have seen multiple containers is when one is for the log, one for trackables, and one for swag. 

if you have a backup container it should be labeled as ‘not the cache. Keep looking’. 

Yup - but all in one location - I have such a cache but they are all contained withing one larger container - my query is with regard to two containers not at the same place and one regarded as a back up - for example a cache that is hidden inside a building (all legit) and subject to opening hours - another container hidden in a different location outside the building to be used when the building is closed ?

Edited by Deepdiggingmole
  • Funny 1
1 hour ago, The_Jumping_Pig said:

I was in San Fransisco earlier this year, and it seemed to be common practice to hide multiple containers. This traditional cache at lombard st had three containers at GZ, and then four other different containers around the street area in case those got muggled. There were similar things at other caches (although not as extreme).

Not sure if the guidelines have changed, though.

Yea- thats the sort of thing - a trad so one cache one GZ - that is several different containers each with different co-ords - that was placed in 2003 so before proximity guidelines 
I am querying whether this would be allowed now and when the guidelines prevented this multi container situation 

Really, there should be one container, and it is at the correct coordinates.  Anywhere else is the wrong coordinates.

But there are some caches that have decoys, but only one real container.   Sometimes the GPSr is a little off, sometimes there is more geosense than not, sometimes there are many hiding places that are close enough to each other to be 'in the zone'.   This is basically allowed.

There are other times that someone adds a throwdown, but the original container is still there, thus resulting in 2 containers.   This is not really a good scenario.

Inside and outside of a building doesn't seem right to me -- you should not need to interact with anyone, just leave it outside for better access.

• Upvote 3

Occasionally multis will have multiple containers at the intermediate stages to decrease the caches the chain of stages is broken.

Decoys seem rare nowadays, but sometimes there would be more than one container yet only one was "real" with the logbook.

I thought about hiding a Mystery cache with two containers, determined by where my Garmin and my Droid thought GZ should be.

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 7:49 AM, JL_HSTRE said:

thought about hiding a Mystery cache with two containers, determined by where my Garmin and my Droid thought GZ should be.

Not quite the same but there's a Schroedinger's cache setup nearby where the last finder, after signing the log, is asked to place it back at one of the two predefined waypoints for the next finder. If you go to find it, the cache is (tongue in cheek) simultaneously in both locations and neither, until you choose to open one and find out if you chose wisely. :P  I think that was a special exception to publish, since you start at the center point between both waypoints (IIRC they were projections from posted). I'm not sure if both waypoints had to abide by proximity guidelines, or how new publishes nearby would be treated with two potential 'final' locations to be far enough from.

Point being, if the coordinates of the container (final or waypoint) are sufficiently accurate to imply ONE location even if there may be multiple containers, then that may not be an issue.  But if the coordinates imply one location, that needs to be the cache location. If instructions are provided for an alternate location, it would be another physical element in the cache listing and fall under its own proximity check. And providing instructions for another location may fall under letterboxing-style guidance.

Ultimately it may be a reviewer judgment call. But, I would guess generally this idea would be a no, especially if it's a Traditional cache. 1 container, 1 location.

Now it may also depend what you consider 'container'. Say, for example, the 'container' contains a number of possible places to sign. As big as perhaps a tree with multiple dangling logbooks and you only need to sign one. That may be allowed.  But I wouldn't see that happening more than the size of a small tree, where sufficient coordinates would all point to the tree.

But for example a library cache with an alternative outside the building for outside business hours? What's to stop people from just signing that location instead of doing it as intended within the library? You wouldn't be able to force people to do it rightly or it becomes an ALR. I doubt they'd allow you to request and require that library staff move the container itself inside and outside every day at opening/closing.

Every library cache I've seen simply states (or links to) its business hours. And if the reviewer deems it a publishable indoor cache, then that's how it'd work. This means that you must do the cache during the hours it's acceptable, no exception.  And if it's not a library, it almost certainly wouldn't be publishable today (if reviewers are being globally consistent).

Easy answer: Ask your local reviewer! :)

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 3
On 5/6/2024 at 4:54 PM, fuzziebear3 said:

Really, there should be one container, and it is at the correct coordinates.  Anywhere else is the wrong coordinates.

But there are some caches that have decoys, but only one real container.   Sometimes the GPSr is a little off, sometimes there is more geosense than not, sometimes there are many hiding places that are close enough to each other to be 'in the zone'.   This is basically allowed.

There are other times that someone adds a throwdown, but the original container is still there, thus resulting in 2 containers.   This is not really a good scenario.

Inside and outside of a building doesn't seem right to me -- you should not need to interact with anyone, just leave it outside for better access.

Yup this is what I think

It is a trad and so one container one location - it is not a multi or a mystery which I accept can have several containers taking you to different stages- This is not a throwdown scenario either 

Inside a building is OK - though obviously will be time restricted (such as a library) - but in this instance when the building is closed and so the main container can't be accessed - they have placed a micro outside so that a finder can log it 24/7 - however for me this is not within the rules and this is what I am trying to ascertain
Strangly - only this last week I have across another similar scenario though not a time restricted one 
A Trad - but when you get to the given co-ords you find a container which has further co-ords written on it - not far away, but there you find another container and the logsheet 
So cache with logsheet not at the given co-ords and two 'containers' in essence !!!! 

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
23 hours ago, nottins said:

There are 2 cache containers at Ben Nevis summit. A winter cache and a summer cache as the winter one can be under several feet of snow at certain times of the year.

So why not just have the summer one where that is hidden and dispense with the winter one ? that way you have one container all year round