Who's nicking the nick nacks

philgn

I have just received notice about the contents of one of my caches, leaving a lot to be desired,I started it off with 13 mildly desirable items, and on checking it there are 4 bits of old tot.Are there pilferers in Herts. or am I missing a point. If this carries on I'm not playing

[This message was edited by philgn on July 19, 2002 at 01:01 PM.]

[This message was edited by philgn on July 20, 2002 at 11:09 AM.]

You aint missing the point.. The others are.. This is about finding and hiding.. not about "The Contents"

I have done two caches today.. took nothing.. and left somethin.. nothin special..

The point is the walks.. thrashing about in chest high ferns.. (Thanks Nige) tryin to figure cryptic clues.. Gettin to grips with history..

Personally if some one emailed me and said my cache was full of ole crock.. I'd ask him what he is in this for? The fun, walks and nettles... Obviously not.

Keep at it.. You will get more out of it than you think.. icon_biggrin.gif

Moss de Boss... Sorta

You aint missing the point.. The others are.. This is about finding and hiding.. not about "The Contents"

I have done two caches today.. took nothing.. and left somethin.. nothin special..

The point is the walks.. thrashing about in chest high ferns.. (Thanks Nige) tryin to figure cryptic clues.. Gettin to grips with history..

Personally if some one emailed me and said my cache was full of ole crock.. I'd ask him what he is in this for? The fun, walks and nettles... Obviously not.

Keep at it.. You will get more out of it than you think.. icon_biggrin.gif

Moss de Boss... Sorta

The VERY FIRST cache, was located in Portland Oregon U.S.A. Near my home and contained a can of beans. It was the trip to find it that started all this, and to me, the hunt, is what Geocaching is really all about. Don't give up.

Bob G. (1pilot)

First of all, I completely agree with the previous two replies. The reward for the hunt is finding the cache, not the goodies in the box.

Having said that, it is a mystery to me as to why caches degrade in this way. In the early days when I still used to swap stuff, I was always careful to make sure the value of what I put in exceeded the value of what I took out. I came across many caches which were so full of stuff it was almost impossible to put the lid back on, so I assumed that everybody else took the same attitude. In fact when I met Mookey, on a hunt I saw him put some batteries and money in a cache and take nothing out.

I have never met a cache hunter with the attitude "I found the cache, I deserve a prize out of it". Are there any people like that out there? I suppose there must be because cache contents do seem to degrade.

Or maybe there are people who go round stealing stuff from caches but are clever enough not to trash them completely so that they get restocked and can then be "harvested" again.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

I agree its finding the cache enjoying the walk and the views the goodies are just a bonus.

I`ve had one of my caches `raided` by a family who did`nt take something leave something.

Food - small cans & choc bars have also been left, when checking my caches I throw these away.

Enjoy the hunt!

Johnty

Why not look in the log and flame the people who left the 'tat'. That should lead to an interesting thread. Personally if a cache is short of stuff I put something into it and take nothing.

You may find after checking the logs that the good stuff was pinched and in fact Cachers were not to blame.

Cheers

Chris

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

I have seen some of the good stuff that my mate Philgn leaves in his caches. ( I introduced him to the hobby). As for naming the ones that leave the crap. How would you know? "Took nothing, left nothing." No of course not just took all the good stuff.

I now do this caching for the exercise, and the new scenery, and adding the score to my cache finds. Yes, thats the truth. It seems that some also want to get that first 100. Is this a bad thing?

We tend to cache as a family, and for the kids the excitement is in the finding of the cache. Part of that excitement is not knowing what will be inside. Contents is subjective, what some consider is cr*p may well be treasured by a 6 year old. The kids always swap things of approximate value, and for sparse caches, we tend to leave and not take. Another part of the fun for them is monitoring a cache having left something, to see who takes it.

I think with conedxf & family's input we now have a broader view. My grankids looked foreward to the booty, on the one occasion i took them caching, and i had to sneak something in the box for them to take it out. It should be fun for all

I agree with this thread, I usually cache with the kids (9, 6 and 3 months) It is difficult to keep them involved if there is "nothing" in the cache, on occasion I have slipped in an item, e.g. £2 coin today, which my daughter or son picked out. I've started a collection of "stuff" all the desirable bits and pieces my kids would want, key rings, toys stickers, plus some more adult bits and pieces. The only problem is being in the right car with the collection and remembering to take it with us!

Shares in Tupperware? Be a Geocacher!

...that so many people say they take nothing, or leave things of greater value, while contents of caches still degrade.

I think there is a little pressure upon cachers to trade - even if it is tat. I try never to take anything (except alcohol, when it has been left in caches, to stop kids finding it) but I do leave stuff (when I remember to take it with me).

But who is nicking the good stuff? Is it the same people who put completely off theme contents in themed caches?

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253