Galaxy S21 Geocaching App

oldschool

For the last 7 months, I have been using my phone to geocache.  I have noticed the app has trouble loading the map as I'm driving.  I have to move the map around with my hand to get the image to load and then have the app follow me again.  As one might imagine, this causes a distraction while I'm driving.  Is this a bug anyone else has noticed?  Is there a way to have the app load a large section of the map?  How can I fix this problem so it is not a distraction?

34 minutes ago, oldschool said:

For the last 7 months, I have been using my phone to geocache.  I have noticed the app has trouble loading the map as I'm driving.  I have to move the map around with my hand to get the image to load and then have the app follow me again.  As one might imagine, this causes a distraction while I'm driving.  Is this a bug anyone else has noticed?  Is there a way to have the app load a large section of the map?  How can I fix this problem so it is not a distraction?

First question: what version app and what version Android are you using? Are they up to date?

I ask because I have not noticed any issues like that on my phone.

3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

First question: what version app and what version Android are you using? Are they up to date?

I ask because I have not noticed any issues like that on my phone.

His question was 2 part:

1st - What version app and what version Android are you using?

2nd - Are they up to date?

You only answered the 2nd question.

6 hours ago, oldschool said:

I have to move the map around with my hand to get the image to load and then have the app follow me again.

Do you mean that the position icon moves off screen, and you want to know how to have it remain centered while the map moves?  Or that the map is moving, but not loading new map tiles?

I have a Galaxy S22+, and not only do map tiles not load at times, other issues make The Official App no good for driving and watching for caches.  You might also try Geeoh Go.  But I hardly ever do the map and drive thing.  It's a distraction even if working well.

If your issue is that the map tiles don't load, you should take a look at the Locus Map App.  I loaded a couple of US states, and that was all I really needed, for what I use Locus Map for (typically on a 12" tablet).  It's a nice map App that also has Geocaching functions.  I tested it tonight while driving, and the map switches to GPS compass while driving, magnetic compass when stationary or walking speed).  That's what I wish The Official App would do.  Other than that, I don't know if Locus Map is your cup of tea.  Just throwing it out there.  The version I have is a legacy version, without a subscription.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, oldschool said:

The map is moving but not loading.  I'm using version 9.39.0 of the Geocaching app.  Android version 13. 

My map fails to load new tiles when I'm out of the data reception area.  Such as downtown Peachtree City, or pretty much everywhere.  Straight Talk Wireless is the worst!  Yes, I know there are other phone companies.

But I try to resist driving while watching for cache icons.  Sure, a passenger might try it.  But just seeing an icon on the map doesn't mean it's a viable cache.  It may have been soaking wet and broken for years.  If it's a park-n-grab, it likely is that bad.  And it sure doesn't mean it's not out of your way.  I've tried similar seat-of-the-pants caching where the icon is apparently right here, yet the approach is via the other side of town.  Not to talk you out of trying it, though. :anicute:

2 hours ago, fuzziebear3 said:

We also haven't addressed the issue of playing with your phone while driving.  I hope you are a passenger, not the driver.

Another reason to consider Geooh GO with its Android Auto app. It lets you see nearby geocaches on the car display while driving. Caches pop up on the HUD with an easy to see list on top of the map that moves/rotates with the car. 

9 hours ago, oldschool said:

I'll take a look into Locus Map App.  Thank you for the update.

I bought it and I tried it.  I really did.  Its geocaching interface is terrible.  It's hard to believe that there is a commercial application with a worse interface than the Official App, but there it is.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
On 11/6/2023 at 4:58 PM, fuzziebear3 said:

We also haven't addressed the issue of playing with your phone while driving.  I hope you are a passenger, not the driver.

I'm the driver but I make a point of adjusting and reloading the map when I'm stopped and not driving.  It's a pain in the butt.

2 hours ago, oldschool said:

I'm the driver but I make a point of adjusting and reloading the map when I'm stopped and not driving.  It's a pain in the butt.

Have you compared the data signal strength with the map tile problem?  I get no map tiles when I lose the data signal, and I know when it's happening.  Also, any other App that requires Internet is then pretty much dead.

It's not really an App thing, if you can't get maps to load.  And if it was a compatibility problem with App and S21, there would be many Forum posts here about that.  So the source of the problem must be something else.  But it's possible that a 3rd party App would be better suited to the way you cache.  Geooh Go has a "Nearby Caches" feature, that may be right up your alley.  But I can't tell for sure.  I don't really have much access to test Apps on your phone.

My S22 has some serious compass issues when using the Geocaching Apps' map, so if I'm driving, I'm following Waze guidance to one cache or waypoint, which is often a parking spot where I can walk to a selection of caches.  But the map tiles haven't been a problem for me in the Official App (except during no signal while driving).  That's why I think it may be good to try another App to see what happens.

Edited by kunarion
On 11/9/2023 at 12:10 PM, JL_HSTRE said:

The app has the ability to send directions to the location to Google Navigation. I recommend using that rather than trying to use the geocaching app internal navigation as a driving aid.

I'll have to try that instead.

On 11/8/2023 at 5:29 PM, kunarion said:

Have you compared the data signal strength with the map tile problem?  I get no map tiles when I lose the data signal, and I know when it's happening.  Also, any other App that requires Internet is then pretty much dead.

It's not really an App thing, if you can't get maps to load.  And if it was a compatibility problem with App and S21, there would be many Forum posts here about that.  So the source of the problem must be something else.  But it's possible that a 3rd party App would be better suited to the way you cache.  Geooh Go has a "Nearby Caches" feature, that may be right up your alley.  But I can't tell for sure.  I don't really have much access to test Apps on your phone.

My S22 has some serious compass issues when using the Geocaching Apps' map, so if I'm driving, I'm following Waze guidance to one cache or waypoint, which is often a parking spot where I can walk to a selection of caches.  But the map tiles haven't been a problem for me in the Official App (except during no signal while driving).  That's why I think it may be good to try another App to see what happens.

I have Geooh Go on my phone so I might have to try that out instead of the app.

• Funny 1