Jump to content

Earthcache Tool Requirements?


JL_HSTRE

Recommended Posts

Since Earthcaches are virtual (i.e. no physical container) any tools required must be brought by seekers, not provided by the CO.

 

Distance is the most common measurement, of which there are numerous options, including apps or just eyeballing it (I know my foot is close to 1 ft in length).

 

Elevation (no longer allowed) can be measured with certain GPSr, and otherwise estimated from a topo map.


I've seen Earthcaches that require measuring water temperature and measuring water pH. I doubt most people travel with a thermometer, or for that matter even have a waterproof thermometer unless they have a fish tank. Unless you have a fish tank or a swimming pool, you probably don't have anything to measure pH either.

 

What other tools are allowed? Anything creative you've seen?

  • Funny 1
Link to comment

I recently did an EarthCache that required a simple hardness testing kit for rocks (the CO made low cost household item suggestions). Doing that learning task was much like the lessons I taught my freshmen students in high school science class. 

Edited by Neos2
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 2
Link to comment

There's an EarthCache (GC60V52) about the salinity of Lake Macquarie that requires collecting a litre of lake water, boiling it down and weighing the salt residue. That was a fun experiment, which I then repeated using a sample of sea water from the local beach here, and got results quite close to the expected salinity.

  • Surprised 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

There's an EarthCache (GC60V52) about the salinity of Lake Macquarie that requires collecting a litre of lake water, boiling it down and weighing the salt residue. That was a fun experiment, which I then repeated using a sample of sea water from the local beach here, and got results quite close to the expected salinity.

That's fine when you can take the water home and use a stove to do this, but no good for a traveller without a stove or a scales capable of weighing such a small amount. In fact I can speculate that most households wouldn't have a lab type scale capable of weighing such a small amount. My kitchen scales wouldn't be able to do this. However, maybe it could be taken to the local pharmacy. Maybe they could weight it for those without sensitive enough scales. A lot of mucking around. I could have weighed this when I was working, but not now I am retired.

Link to comment
48 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

That's fine when you can take the water home and use a stove to do this, but no good for a traveller without a stove or a scales capable of weighing such a small amount. In fact I can speculate that most households wouldn't have a lab type scale capable of weighing such a small amount. My kitchen scales wouldn't be able to do this. However, maybe it could be taken to the local pharmacy. Maybe they could weight it for those without sensitive enough scales. A lot of mucking around. I could have weighed this when I was working, but not now I am retired.

 

I used an old pot, which I weighed empty and then reweighed after boiling away the water to leave the salt residue. The salinity is about 30-35 grams per litre and my digital kitchen scales have a resolution of 1g so plenty accurate enough for the purposes of the EC.

  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

 

I used an old pot, which I weighed empty and then reweighed after boiling away the water to leave the salt residue. The salinity is about 30-35 grams per litre and my digital kitchen scales have a resolution of 1g so plenty accurate enough for the purposes of the EC.

Mine don't have that accuracy, as I imagine it would be the same for many people. Still, we don't have to do them all.

Link to comment
On 11/12/2023 at 5:43 PM, me N u said:

There's an earthcache in Qatar that requires the use of vinegar (and a magnifying glass).

 I feel seen :antenna: Mind you, there are quite a few ECs that require some kitchen experiments involving vinegar or diluted hydrocholoric acid.

Yeah, I always read the description and bring the kit that I need along on the trip. pH strips, thermometer, small container to collect samples, nose spray bottle of vinegar (mark it! putting it in your nose is not fun), handlense and other stuff.

  • Helpful 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...