International Earth Cache Day 2023

Neos2

International Earth Cache Day Friday, October 6, until 10:00:00 UTC on Monday, October 9.

Do you have any plans to post a new EarthCache, invite others to visit one you already own, log one that is new to you, or otherwise mark this day in a special way? 

From the blog post:

EarthCaches are filled with pools of geological knowledge, just like Pamukkale in Turkey. These bright blue, eye-catching terrace pools are created by the carbonate mineral left by the thermal flow of spring water, pictured above.

Learn more about Earth and its incredibly unique formations on Saturday, October 7, and Sunday, October 8, in celebration of International EarthCache Day! Earn the official souvenir for visiting the physical location of the EarthCache and completing the logging requirements to receive your smiley.

All non-Premium EarthCaches are open to everyone throughout the weekend on the Geocaching® app from 11:00:00 UTC on Friday, October 6, until 10:00:00 UTC on Monday, October 9.

On 9/12/2023 at 9:48 PM, Neos2 said:

Do you have any plans to post a new EarthCache, invite others to visit one you already own, log one that is new to you, or otherwise mark this day in a special way? 

One that's caught my eye is GCA9FJ2 that was published in June along the Grand Canyon Track in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney. Although 175km each way from home, it looks pretty impressive from both the cache description and the National Park page and should be a fun day out if the weather's good.

grand-canyon-track-02.jpg

The questions don't look too challenging, anyway I know the CO quite well so he'll likely take pity on me if I make a mess of answering them.

• Love 1
On 9/13/2023 at 10:51 PM, barefootjeff said:

One that's caught my eye is GCA9FJ2 that was published in June along the Grand Canyon Track in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney. Although 175km each way from home, it looks pretty impressive from both the cache description and the National Park page and should be a fun day out if the weather's good.

That one does look to be quite a nice adventure. Reasonable learning activity, gorgeous scenery--What more could you ask for?  

I'm working on publishing my last two Earthcaches in before Earthcache day. Hopefully I get more visitors than I normally do. Most years I might get one log on one of my Earthcaches on Earthcache Day.

As for what I will log myself, I'm moving to a new country a few days before Earthcache day, so I have hundreds of new Earthcaches to choose from. I'm excited. I usually have to drive 200km to log an Earthcache that day.

• Love 2
On 9/12/2023 at 7:48 AM, Neos2 said:

"All non-Premium EarthCaches are open to everyone throughout the weekend on the Geocaching® app" 

Just read the email and perhaps this is a silly question but... ummmm... aren't all "non-premium" caches always available to everyone??? Presumably they meant to say they would open premium earthcaches to everyone?

Not that I have any idea why someone would set an earthcache as premium only, to be honest.

• Funny 1
7 minutes ago, CCFwasG said:

Just read the email and perhaps this is a silly question but... ummmm... aren't all "non-premium" caches always available to everyone??? Presumably they meant to say they would open premium earthcaches to everyone?

I feel sure the purpose was to point out the times/dates. 

25 minutes ago, Mermaid.Man said:

I believe that earthcaches are not normally available to basic members (on the official app).

So earthcaches are available to basic members online but NOT in the app?!?!?! That is... strange at best.

18 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

"Also, non-Premium EarthCaches will be available to all geocachers throughout the weekend, making it the perfect time to introduce a friend to geocaching!"

It seems they did not proofread the newsletter, but they did state it correctly in the blog post, where they added "in the app".

But that doesn't solve my original question which is that it seems redundant to say that "non-premium" caches (of any sort) will be available to basic members... because non-premium caches are ALWAYS available to basic members. 

What am I missing here????

• Funny 1
21 minutes ago, CCFwasG said:

What am I missing here????

Nothing. As you commented earlier...

21 minutes ago, CCFwasG said:

So earthcaches are available to basic members online but NOT in the app?!?!?! That is... strange at best.

Strange or not, only traditional caches and event caches with D/T ratings of 2/2 or below are visible to basic members using the app. The phrase "in the app" is the key.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, niraD said:

Nothing. As you commented earlier...

Strange or not, only traditional caches and event caches with D/T ratings of 2/2 or below are visible to basic members using the app. The phrase "in the app" is the key.

Thanks! I don't know when I was last a basic member but certainly over 5 years and maybe nearer 10. It sounds like things have changed a lot!!! But my question wasn't silly, and I appreciate the answer - all is clear now!

I am looking at three Earthcaches to potentially pick up for International EarthCache Day 2024. 

We will be traveling to my daughter's for her baby shower this weekend. There are two EarthCaches near her home and one along out route I am pretty sure I will visit. That's a good thing because I recently had a total knee replacement and I still need caches with a gentle terrain. I've done most of the low terrain caches near my home. 

Falls Church Trondhjemite by Awesnap GC95N83
Southwest 8 Boundary Stone by The Wanderess GC8WQJZ

McCormick's Rocks EarthCache by PathfinderMark GC2GJ2N

Then there are 4 others Earthcaches we will pass near. I'll stop for them if time and daylight allows. My husband is looking forward to the one at the McCormick mill and farm site. I may do the two in Falls Church with my son-in-law, a fledgling geocacher. 

• Upvote 1
On 9/17/2023 at 1:40 AM, Neos2 said:
On 9/14/2023 at 12:51 PM, barefootjeff said:

That one does look to be quite a nice adventure. Reasonable learning activity, gorgeous scenery--What more could you ask for?  

I sure picked the right EC to do for the souvenir. It was awesome, no doubt the best EC I've ever done. The photos don't do it justice, but here's a few...

GCA9FJ2-1.jpg.2cd1806df4cbb996f37f973f838b7e49.jpg

GCA9FJ2-2.thumb.jpg.fd50726f11a1cdbcd6cbc074b8bf5914.jpg

• Love 1

My husband joined me for the Earthcache at McCormick farm and mill in Raphine, VA. We got there too late to view the inside of all the buildings, but we had a great time wandering the grounds and solving the Earthcache learning task. The task was an easy one for me, just using typical household items to determine the hardness of the local rock and then comparing it to the grinding stones at the mill. I taught Earth and Space Science, so I had a hardness test kit on hand to grab to take with us. My students would have enjoyed that task. 

Mccormick's.jpg

Edited by Neos2
  • Upvote 1

Another Earthcaching weekend come and gone! I managed to find one, but spent most of my weekend responding to cachers. I lost count but I think my ECs received somewhere on the order of 150+ logs this weekend! Finally finished responding to all finders yesterday evening!

• Surprised 2
  • Love 2
On 10/10/2023 at 10:54 AM, STNolan said:

Another Earthcaching weekend come and gone! I managed to find one, but spent most of my weekend responding to cachers. I lost count but I think my ECs received somewhere on the order of 150+ logs this weekend! Finally finished responding to all finders yesterday evening!

Kudos to you for responding to all finders!! Wow!  Occasionally I will get a reply back from CO's of EC's or Virtuals, but it's rare.  I do enjoy getting the feedback, knowing if I was right or wrong ... but usually I hear nothing, and my Found it log stays.

1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

Kudos to you for responding to all finders!! Wow!  Occasionally I will get a reply back from CO's of EC's or Virtuals, but it's rare.  I do enjoy getting the feedback, knowing if I was right or wrong ... but usually I hear nothing, and my Found it log stays.

I think it's part of being an EC owner. I rarely tell people they're flat out wrong. Sometimes I provide some additional details etc, but for me EC is less about being 1000% correct and more about learning something. Did your answers show you learned something? Then great!

That being said I do occasionally miss some responses (i.e. ones that come in via email as opposed to the message center) and when I'm out of cell services for a month + at a time. But generally my goal is to respond to everyone. I mean they took the time to send the answers, the least I can do is message them back. 

• Upvote 5