Received A.P.E. Cache Souvenir instead of Easy Streak Star Souvenir

Vicious Cycle

Today is July 4th, the second day of the Streak Star challenge. I logged a Geocache both yesterday and today. I expected to see the easy souvenir for the Streak Star challenge, but after logging my find today, I received the A.P.E. Cache Souvenir. I am located in the United States and I used the mobile app to log my find today and the pop-up notification that appears for new souvenirs showed the A.P.E. Cache souvenir. I checked my profile and it was in there as well. I came home and checked my profile on the website, and the A.P.E. Cache souvenir shows there also. I logged into the forums and it appears there are several other people who experienced the same thing. I have visited neither of the A.P.E. Caches (yet), so I have not earned this souvenir. Please let me know if I need to do anything to correct the issue. Thanks. 

Edited by Vicious Cycle
  • Upvote 4
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

Exactly the same has happened to me in UK - Project APE souvenir received (unfortunately not likely to get to any APE location anytime soon). Current streak to 4 July showing as 126 so no gaps.

On the up side, I have received my Maker Magic souvenir 🙂

Edited by TiggerOnTor
6 hours ago, ernie3tones said:

I’m experiencing an issue as well, but it’s different. I re-started my streak yesterday. It shows I have a streak of two days, but no souvenir. Is it because my second day was an AL? I’m going to grab another trad just to be sure. 

No one's received a souvenir yet.  I did a trad on each day.

16 hours ago, barefootguru said:

No one's received a souvenir yet.  I did a trad on each day.

That's not true. Some (me included) received the A.P.E. souvenir - and it is still there on this evening, unfortunately.

• Upvote 1
On 7/4/2023 at 5:55 PM, ernie3tones said:

I’m experiencing an issue as well, but it’s different. I re-started my streak yesterday. It shows I have a streak of two days, but no souvenir. Is it because my second day was an AL? I’m going to grab another trad just to be sure. 

Original Blog post (20-Mar-2023) says "finding Adventure Locations will count toward earning souvenirs for the campaign".
https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2023/03/introducing-wheel-of-challenges/

• Upvote 1

Finally I got the streak star easy souvenir today, but that APE souvenir is still there. Of course I could hide it, but then what happens if I actually earn it by finding an APE cache?

I hope they fix that as well and remove the erroneously assigned APE souvenir.

57 minutes ago, j-he said:

Today I'm still waiting for the A.P.E. souvenir to vanish from my list of souvenirs. Seems the fix is more complicated than one would expect. I hope Groundspeak doesn't decide, that it is not wrth fixing.

I reached out to Groundspeak this monring on this issue and they are still working on it. They don't have a timeline yet, but they hope to have it resolved soon.

On a side note, I'm in I.T. and while I'm not a programmer, I do know that trying to retroactively make changes to code that's already in production can be very tricky. I'm sure they're testing out code to make sure they don't cause more problems when they push out the fix.

• Funny 1

Yes, when the algorithms for souvenirs are custom coded for specific statistic accomplishments, and only additive - that is, on posting a log it returns true so reward the souvenir - you can't just 'reverse' it without double checking pre-reward statistics, unless the souvenir state pre-reward was recorded in a changelog. But then you need to re-run the check to cover any possible legitimate changes between mistaken-reward and legitimate reward.  It all depends how the backend was programmed, and from prior discussions about souvenir issues, it doesn't sound like it's intended to be reversible.