Photo upload not working

jadefalcon

I am unable to upload images to my cache log.  It is giving me the following error:

• Something went wrong with the image upload, please try again later.

I have tried with several different desktop browsers, mobile Chrome, and different caches and pictures as well.

I just tried with trackables as well, and I cannot upload pictures to those either.

Edited by jadefalcon
  • Helpful 1

Thank you to all for reporting this issue. We unfortunately don't have enough information to determine whether or not this is an issue on our end, though. 

If you're experiencing this issue, please send us an email (contact@geocaching.com) with the image you're trying to upload and a brief description of the problem.

Hopefully this helps us determine the underlying issue. Thanks!

4 hours ago, worrellsquirrel said:

Thank you to all for reporting this issue. We unfortunately don't have enough information to determine whether or not this is an issue on our end, though. 

Perhaps that's because the generic error message "Something went wrong with the image upload, please try again later" provides no useful information about the problem that we can pass on when reporting it.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
On 6/20/2023 at 7:01 PM, worrellsquirrel said:

If you're experiencing this issue, please send us an email (contact@geocaching.com) with the image you're trying to upload and a brief description of the problem.

A brief description of the problem!!? How much else could we describe, than what already said in this tread, when the only information we get on the rejection of upload is "Something went wrong". :wacko:

That said, I just found out what went wrong for me! It turned out to be a wrong format. It was a photo I had saved from the web at some time, and on my pc it stood as a jpg-file. When I tried to open the photo in an editor to look for potential issues, the editor told me, it had a wrong extension. It wasn't a jpg-file. It was actually a WebP-file.

If only  your "something went wrong" had told me it was a wrong format, much time would have been saved ...

• Helpful 4
2 hours ago, SN67 said:

If only  your "something went wrong" had told me it was a wrong format, much time would have been saved ...

Indeed. saying "something went wrong, please try again later" is worse than useless if the problem is a file format error, because no matter how many times you try again later, it's never going to fix it. If it's bombing out because of a problem with the file being uploaded, the user needs to be told that, preferably with enough detail for them to fix the issue.

• Helpful 2

We are having the same problem with jpeg images. We are attaching photos from our iPhone 13 in the Geocaching.com app to our draft logs. The photos show up in our draft logs on our Windows 7 PC, and we can add a description to the photo but when we actually post the log the draft locks up and we have to close it to exit the program. When we look at the cache page after the crash, our text log is fine but there is no photo. 

• Helpful 1