Seeing Corrected Coordinates - Options to Bypass Current Limitations?

The last thread I started was closed but did not provide a reasonable means of resolution to my problem.  Although I would strongly suggest that such a feature should exist to see caches at the corrected coordinates, that is not the purpose of this thread.  Really what I am looking for are some suggestions given the current limitations. 

Let's say I want to hide a cache, but I want to view all the possible open locations by first looking at where all the existing caches are on the map.  I want to make sure that if I choose a spot, that it isn't already taken up by an unknown cache or multi.  I also don't want to email the reviewer to ask if a spot is open, and I really don't want to go hide something for it only to be proximity rejected later.  All the puzzles and multis in the area I've solved, found and included final waypoints as corrected coordinates (let's ignore any stages of a multi for now). 

I do not want to get a coordinate check.  I'm looking in the hills/forest areas out of the city.  I don't have a specific place in mind - I'd much rather look at a map and get an understanding of roughly what locations are open for hides.  Taking a stab in the dark and getting a coordinate check of a random location is a waste of my time (and probably the reviewer's too) as looking at a map with corrected cache coordinates would solve my problem in 10 seconds. 

I seem to recall that I used to be able to run a Pocket Query and the map would show all of the caches at their corrected coordinates, but for some reason that doesn't seem to work for me any more (?).  All the unknown caches are still shown at the posted coordinates. 

Does anybody have any methods available to see corrected coordinates for unknown caches on the map?

• Funny 1

i found a good solution for me:

i have a samsung tablet with a famous geocaching app for android and in this app, i save all found and solved caches in a circle of 15 km arround my home coordinates.

i enable the 161m circle in this app, look on the map and i can see, where is place for new caches.

is this not an idea for you?

• Helpful 1

PQs do include corrected coords for mysteries, etc, but no indication of the fact these are corrected coords.  The API, eg "Update Cache" in Locus, does include that indication so you can choose, but in either case, you should be seeing the corrected location ... IF the app chooses to respect this.  Groundspeak's beginner app chooses to ignore that, and if has both original and corrected available, insists on original.  A design choice.

I suspect you're loading PQs into the Groundspeak app (are you?), which might then decide to check online and give you "better" appearance instead, all that purty geo-art in the original "art" locations.  Ready to try another app?

I can leave this thread open if the discussion focuses solely on current workarounds, rather than new feature suggestions (which should be discussed in the active Geocaching.com website forum thread on this subject).  But, all workaround suggestions should be focused on Geocaching.com website and official app functionality, or on functionality made available by licensed Geocaching Live! API partners.  Thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 2

Just to clarify, standard PQs just include a single field for coordinates.  If the user has entered corrected coords for that cache, that's 2 coords in the Groundspeak database, 2 coords available via the API, but only that single coord in the PQ, which isn't marked as "corrected", but is.

An app that loads PQs and doesn't also go online for more info, will have the corrected coords without even being aware of it.  On Android, the app I'm familiar with, Locus Map, can work this way, and is quite good at it.  Other apps of good repute are likely the same.

I'm willing to be corrected on this, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

31 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Just to clarify, standard PQs just include a single field for coordinates. 

I just checked that Locus Map displays corrected coordinates from a PQ even when the cache is found. The problem is only the PQ preview map which is not displaying the content of the PQ correctly. The user must consider using other means for opening the downloaded PQ file.

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

One option is to create a second account that includes solved coordinates that you don't find. So the map will show all the regular geocaches plus the solved coordinates.

Nice idea, but that's more effort than I'm willing to expend. 

2 hours ago, predator1337 said:

i found a good solution for me:

i have a samsung tablet with a famous geocaching app for android and in this app, i save all found and solved caches in a circle of 15 km arround my home coordinates.

i enable the 161m circle in this app, look on the map and i can see, where is place for new caches.

is this not an idea for you?

Aha!  This appears to be the correct solution for me as it's easy & fast - just what I'm looking for - thanks!  I could say (a lot) more, but I won't because it might get me in trouble :D

1 hour ago, Viajero Perdido said:

PQs do include corrected coords for mysteries, etc, but no indication of the fact these are corrected coords.  The API, eg "Update Cache" in Locus, does include that indication so you can choose, but in either case, you should be seeing the corrected location ... IF the app chooses to respect this.  Groundspeak's beginner app chooses to ignore that, and if has both original and corrected available, insists on original.  A design choice.

I suspect you're loading PQs into the Groundspeak app (are you?), which might then decide to check online and give you "better" appearance instead, all that purty geo-art in the original "art" locations.  Ready to try another app?

No, I'm old school.  I still run PQ's and load them up into my GPSr.  I like to plan trips at home on my laptop, then in the field I like to use my GPSr, supplemented occasionally with my phone.  But I prefer to geocache with my GPSr over phone.  Loading PQ's into another app is a decent idea, but I think the option above is by far the easiest - I can just open up the map of the famous geocaching android app, then I get exactly what I want. 

1 hour ago, arisoft said:

This might be an accidentally left loophole but My Finds Pocket Query contains corrected coordinates.

image.png.643372a2861a3fedbe51cd8026a28047.png

The only problem is to find a suitable tool for rendering the content properly. The file may be too big for many tools. For example, I found this tool suitable for this task.

Good idea, thanks!  Yes, finding a program with maps to read everything effectively is the most difficult part of this suggestion. 

• Funny 1
2 hours ago, Keystone said:

rather than new feature suggestions (which should be discussed in the active Geocaching.com website forum thread on this subject).

Can you please provide a link to the particular thread where you would like this to be discussed? I tried to create a centralised request HERE which may or may not be the post you're referring to, but there are others.

It's been requested many times over many years (possibly the single most frequent request?)  but from my memory I've never seen any sort of response from Groundspeak.

Either way it would be good to have all the requests for this feature pointed to the one thread.

19 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

I tried to create a centralised request HERE

For those wanting a new native solution, bumping this thread would be fine.  The most current active thread is the one I linked to a few hours ago in brendan714's other thread today here in the General Geocaching Topics forum.

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

If you have a Google account, you can use the Google Maps "My Maps" to load a GPX file. For example, this is how it renders the geoart caches from the 2018 Morisset mega...

image.png.d78d9065ce857510fef789d64232c920.png

Jeff - I'm trying to make out this GeoArt image ..... Is it a White Tiger eating a hooded Cobra in the afternoon sun?

I must be no good at this. I give up - what's it supposed to be?

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1