Off topic I know... Suggestions for a "First GPS"

tirediron

I know this is off-topic, but I am hoping to get some input from fellow Canadians, and I figured it was more likely here than in the GPS forum (where I have also posted). Anyway.. As a newcomer to Geocaching (new as in I have yet to buy a GPS!) I am looking for some help from more experienced users. Firstly, are there any models that stand out as "Don't buy these even on a dare" or likewise, ones that you think are the cat's @$$? Right now, I am thinking about the Magellan Meridian Platinum. Has anyone used that model, any pro's or con's with it or the Meridian line? Are there any "must have features"? Thanks all, appreciate the help!

Well I have a Magellan 315 which I have had for years. I like it and it has done well for me.

icon_smile.gif

Keep on caching.

Ken

Well I like my unit so much I must have sent the message twice. Sorry about that. System won't let me delete the extra one.

[This message was edited by Cyber-Hunter on February 15, 2003 at 07:29 PM.]

Gotta go with Cache Canucks, Vista. If ya want a little less cash outlay, Etrex Legend. It has mapping capability, like the Vista, but less RAM, 8MB vs. 24. It's really great to have the extra functions, especially while driving on a logging road somewhere, with the map already in the GPSr.

Sorry magellan icon_razz.gif

I have both a Magellan 315 and a Garmin Vista.

Comparing reception in moderate tree cover, I would select the Magellan 315. Simply because of the different antenna style.

I cannot give you a personal recommendation for a higher end Magellan; I have never used one.

The Garmin Vista has superb features, and I am using it more and more, but I still prefer the Magellan when it comes time to hiding caches. I have not used the Garmin yet when hiding.

canadazuuk

Tirediron

When your shopping around be sure to check whats included with the units. Sometimes a more expensive model includes cables that you'd end up having to buy if you go for a entry level GPSr.

I don't know if a mapping unit is going to help much in Canada for geocaching in the bush. Neither Garmi or Magellan has topomaps for Canada that can be uploaded to a GPSr. Some of the road maps are OK.

quote:
Originally posted by tirediron:

...I am thinking about the Magellan Meridian Platinum. Has anyone used that model, any pro's or con's with it or the Meridian line? Are there any "must have features"? Thanks all, appreciate the help!

Hey Tired:

I have a 315 (YEA!!!) and a Magellan SportTrak Map... I have also used a Meridian Platinum... The biggest advantage of both the Sport and Plat over the 315 is maps... these are a true help navigating around... especially in urban and suburban areas -- no topos yet as someone has already mentioned. The downside is price of course. I have seen magellans on special at one branch of Best Buy... you might wanna check that out.

The screen on the plat is larger than on the sport and it has a much larger memory. As far as function, most of the modern units offer very similar performance. Some eat batteries a little faster than others. Some have slightly different ways to display the same information... If you are going for a mid-range handheld, shop around for the best price and make sure extras like map software and cables are easily avaiable in your area.

DD

"Either that wallpaper goes or I do!"

Thanks all, appreciate the info and experience of those who answered. Still not sure what I am going to buy, but, being a guy am I going to go for the low end model? Better to have features I will never use than to let my neighbour have a better one.... (Quondo Omni Flunkus Moritati) You know how it is.... Thanks again!!

I bought a sportrak map... I played with it for a while at a radioshack before buying it (at a Best Buy!). I knew going in that the base map would suck eggs. In Southern Ontario (not Sarnia!) there is just the 401 and 400 and a lake Ontario that shows my office in the water!

HOWEVER... now that I picked up Mapsource Canada... it is FREAKING UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I also FEEL that my Garmin Venture doesn't do as good a job at holding sat lock or picking it up with a lot of cover.

On the other hand, my Venture came with an awsome database of Towns and Cities for Canada. I was blown away by some of the little towns it has in it. My Sportrak sucks in comparison were the town database is concerned unless you live in the US of A

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command