Funky Cache Containers

coast2coast2coast

Unbelievably co-incidental, but I had the idea of hollowing out driftwood about a month ago when we were first staking out places for the Land of the Lost cache.

quote:

*We are teaching our Zoe dog to sniff out Tupperware...*

Seems like you succeeded some time ago in that. We are actually planning future caches based on the abilities of Zoe! icon_wink.gif (seriously)

quote:
Originally posted by Hard Oiler:

...Now trying to think of something that would blend into a sand dune (a sandbox?)

How about a box covered in sandpaper?

---------------

I can't lie around and be lazy. I am a Thing-Finder, and when you're a Thing-Finder you don't have a minute to spare...The whole world is full of things, and somebody has to look for them.

-Pippi Longstocking

Coast2Coast2Coast - looks like a true work of art! I hope you hide it somewhere around Cnexfivyyr as we're planning to do some caching up there in a month or two. But who knows, we might make it up to Pnhegranl too.

Only problem is, on the "Canuck" forum a lot of your readers/admirers will be people who are going to be hunting for it one day! The surprise and delight of finding will be spoiled a bit icon_frown.gif - I speak from experience having once decoded a hint that gave away a container that would have been way more fun to be surprised by.

Other than that, it's great to see people's labours of love that they're proud of!

quote:
Originally posted by Hard Oiler:

I'd been thinking of hollowed out driftwood for a cache on one of the best beaches on Lake Huron. Then I saw the beachcombers collecting firewood so changed my mind. Now trying to think of something that would blend into a sand dune (a sandbox?)

Wouldn't anything on a beach have the potential to wash away during a bad storm?

More to see, More to do

Hard Oiler

In toy stores/catalogues there are these things called 'I dig dinosaurs' 'I dig treasures' 'I dig Egypt' etc, where you chisel away at it until you find the bones and artifacts. Glueing sand together however they do it for those things might be good camouflage in a sand dune.

Or a screw-top container made into a two-part sand candle with the lid embedded in one half and the container in the other (with wax carefully not extending over the threaded edge) - not sure if that would be durable enough, though, and it might melt in the sun.

Maybe combine the two - make a sand candle to coat the container, then to the outside of it add sand hardened with some kind of glue or varnish for durability.

Well not sure if this really fits into the Funky category but this pristine picture is of The Prince George Transit (GC740A)cache container. That is what it looked like before being placed, and chewed by a bear or some other disrespectful critter. The Igloo cooler is a testament to ruggedness, it just keeps on going...

Before:

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I am trying out the same container here in Winnipeg. I took the guts out of the lid and filled it with parafin wax in hopes that it would seal it better. They were the right price and look to be about the right size. I couldn't pass up the deal. I also have one ammo can which is great but they are bit pricey out here.