SF Bay Area geocachers

A couple [of YJTBs] have been held for over a week now...

not suprising. Travel bugs die every day. These will be no different. 4,000 wasn't nearly enough.

I released a bug, You Can't Go Home Again and it passed through two hands before disappearing. I re-released it recently and someone (cough) carried it to Canada and someone else stuck it so far out in the woods that it'll never be seen again.

Perhaps what will happen is that these will sink out of sight into the great morass that is GeoCachers, dead almost every one. Then TPTB will see that the Travel Bug feature doesn't quite work.

<snip>I've only had a handful of YJTBs pop up that were within "a quick trip out to grab one"

Just about every day, I see a yellow Jeep, and smile. I'll bet one or two pop up this weekend in San Francisco or the North Peninsula.

Edited by bthomas
Perhaps what will happen is that these will sink out of sight into the great morass that is GeoCachers, dead almost every one.  Then TPTB will see that the Travel Bug feature doesn't quite work.

I don't know what you are talking about. Travel bugs seem to work just fine to me. Here are some of our bugs we've released:

02 Scurry 2000                     - 21427 mi 
10 Scurry 2000                     - 16940 mi 
07 Scurry 2000                     - 15317 mi 
M&J Happy 25th Anniversary Geocoin - 11658 mi 
Happy Hippo                        - 6424 mi 
Katie's Carebear                   - 6388 mi 
M&J Souvenir Geocoin #5            - 6183 mi 
M&J Souvenir Geocoin #2            - 5882 mi 
Cachin' Kelly                      - 5732 mi 
08 Scurry 2000                     - 5569 mi 
The High Flying Bald Eagle         - 5301 mi 
12 Scurry 2000                     - 5047 mi 
Lunch with Scooby                  - 4989 mi 
Hitech Hitty                       - 4434 mi 
Andy's & Ricky's Peace Bear        - 4078 mi 
05 Scurry 2000                     - 3973 mi 
11 Scurry 2000                     - 3663 mi 
13 Scurry 2000                     - 3581 mi 
Dogtags in memory of 9/11          - 3271 mi 
LilSam                             - 3263 mi 

They are all very happy. ;)

--Marky

Edited by Marky
I know I know, and most of mine are stumbling around more or less ok too.  It's just that one I'm bitter about.

All it takes is one to get you in a bad mood. Best to get more in play so that you can forget about that one. :) I just got notified that one of ours was lost in a muggled cache. Time to get a copy made up and back out in the world! ;)

--Marky

I'll be in SFO from Georgia for the JavaOne convention this Sunday-Wednesday and plan to get in a few caches while I'm there. I'm staying at the airport Marriott Sunday night, and downtown at the Hyatt Embarcadero Monday and Tuesday. I'll have a rental car on Sunday.

I plan to hunt around the airport area on arrival, but would appreciate suggestions of good caches both there and in the downtown/Moscone area as well, and would be happy to meet up with anyone who wants to team on a few.

My preferences are regular caches that involve some easy hikes (1.5-3) to get to and/or have a nice view for photography.

I can also take any TB's back with me who are wanting to go East.

Edited by KVOM
Pepper is coming to town.

Pepper?

Team Nazgul, my bad I've been gone for a year and a half now and the SF Bay Area Thread has changed since I left. I rarely see the old timers that I started caching with back in March of 2002. On the off chance any of them were to take a look at the thread they would know I was gonna be in town. I’m hoping to get some hard core caching done while in town.

Pepper

Heh, my fault for not being perfectly clear... I just wanted to mention a local "pepper"-related cache in case you were interested. Apparently the wrong kind of pepper anyway. Doh.

I'm on a roll today. I mis-stepped on a cache hunt shortcut this morning and wound up with one pant leg completely soaked below the knee. Fortunately my 10:00 meeting was a conference call and not an in-person meeting. :lol:

I wonder what will happen when I try to find "Original Arches" on the way home today? If you see a headline tomoorow that reads "Local Geocacher Crushed by Fallen (Golden) Arches" you'll know it was me.... :blink:

On another note, I've been looking at the logs for the new Coleman Ponds cache (where I stepped in the stream this morning) that a lot of names I recognize are commenting on how it's almost in their backyard. ProTechCC and chucklesda were the latest. It's also only about a mile and a half from my place, and WoW lives nearby, and Marky & Joani live close by somewhere, and so on...

Maybe we could organize a locaal pizza event or something? Nothing fancy, I just know it would be a lot easier for me to get to a local gathering after work than it is to get the time for a BADGES dinner that may be an hour (or two) drive away. I suspect the same may be true for others as well.

Comments?

Pepper?

Team Nazgul, my bad I've been gone for a year and a half now and the SF Bay Area Thread has changed since I left. I rarely see the old timers that I started caching with back in March of 2002. On the off chance any of them were to take a look at the thread they would know I was gonna be in town. I’m hoping to get some hard core caching done while in town.

Pepper

PEPPER!!!!!!! How long are you going to be in town? Let's hang out and have some breakfast or dinner or something. :blink:

--Marky

Maybe we could organize a locaal pizza event or something? Nothing fancy, I just know it would be a lot easier for me to get to a local gathering after work than it is to get the time for a BADGES dinner that may be an hour (or two) drive away. I suspect the same may be true for others as well.

Comments?

We've had an event cache at the nearby Chuckie Cheese. They were fine with a bunch of us occupying a row of tables on a weeknight. They didn't even require a reservation. The kiddie cachers love the place too. :blink:

--Marky

Edited by Marky

Comments?

We've had an event cache at the nearby Chuckie Cheese. They were fine with a bunch of us occupying a row of tables on a weeknight. They didn't even require a reservation. The kiddie cachers love the place too. :blink:

--Marky

Hey Marky,

Let me know if this materilaizes.

I'v emissed a number of event caches since we met in San Mateo last October and I'm anxious to get back out and meet and greet some more!

I'll be in SFO from Georgia for the JavaOne convention this Sunday-Wednesday and plan to get in a few caches while I'm there.

My preferences are regular caches that involve some easy hikes (1.5-3) to get to and/or have a nice view for photography.

Have to pitch my Es Effo GCBC09 and Columba GCGH5J (print the pictures!). Can also highly recommend the Embarcadero waterfront, including Waterfront GCE731 and either of Frankenlurch's Sister Mary histories GCG8PV or GCJBBK (require stealth at final). Remember, you can hop the F-line historic trolleys from Market St to Fisherman's Wharf. Sounds by the Bay GC30CB has wonderful views of the GG Bridge. LooneyTune's WPA Lillie's GC136C has Coit Tower views and Depression Era art. The Twin Peaks triplet of GCCF74, GC46E4, and GC78A5 should be caught before the afternoon fog.

Thanks for those who replied. I have 11 on my list for SFO, with the Es Effo as a first stop. so far I'm looking at:

Blue Light Special

Egrets Enigma

Almost Home

Happy Trails

Yumpin'Yimminee

Mom's Wild Ride

BAB Picnic #2

Hill Sign

And the Rest

Shark Fin Slough

Downtown I'd already picked the Waterfront and Frnkenlurch, plus Bridge View and Get Wired. I'll add the others to the candidate list. I may have a free half day on Wednesday to try some of the coast caches requiring a bit more walking.

Thanks for the advice.

Downtown I'd already picked the Waterfront and Frnkenlurch, plus Bridge View and Get Wired.  I'll add the others to the candidate list.  I may have a free half day on Wednesday to try some of the coast caches requiring a bit more walking.

Thanks for the advice.

I highly recommend Sounds by the Bay (GC30CB). This simple traditional cache represents all that is good about geocaching. A nice walk in a place you might not normally go. A spectacular final location, with great views and and a very high cool factor for what is out there. You won't regret going!

--Marky

Pepper?

Pepper

PEPPER!!!!!!! How long are you going to be in town? Let's hang out and have some breakfast or dinner or something. :o

--Marky

Marky I'll be in town 3 or 4 days I'm not sure yet maybe more. I have no time frame.

Pleasanton will be home base.

Ahhh....life is good or should I say GOOD HUSBAND.

Pepper

I'll be in SFO from Georgia for the JavaOne convention this Sunday-Wednesday and plan to get in a few caches while I'm there.

Have to pitch my Es Effo GCBC09 and Columba GCGH5J (print the pictures!). Can also highly recommend the Embarcadero waterfront, including Waterfront GCE731 and either of Frankenlurch's Sister Mary histories GCG8PV or GCJBBK (require stealth at final). Remember, you can hop the F-line historic trolleys from Market St to Fisherman's Wharf. Sounds by the Bay GC30CB has wonderful views of the GG Bridge. LooneyTune's WPA Lillie's GC136C has Coit Tower views and Depression Era art. The Twin Peaks triplet of GCCF74, GC46E4, and GC78A5 should be caught before the afternoon fog.

I'd echo bthomas' recommendation that you include at least one of the Twin Peaks trio. If the weather is clear, the views are absolutely not to be missed. Hill Sign is good fun and good exercise. If views and photography are your goals you may want to reconsider Blue Light, however, as it's a in an industrial area.

In addition to bthomas' suggestions for SF caching, and Marky's recommendation of Sounds of the Bay (which I would also strongly recommend) -- as long as you're going to be heading around the wharf area to the Lombard St cache and then to Sounds of the Bay -- stop by Ft. Mason between Lombard St and Sounds of the Bay and check out YABA Treasure Hunt #2. It beats Blue Light Special for flowers right now, hands down.

I'm about to take the plunge and by a new GPSr and need some advice.

Several weeks ago my last one disappeared and I've spend the last two+ weeks moping around and hoping it would show up. Those of you in multi-child homes know the story but nonetheless, it hasn't and I'm going through serious caching withdrawals. My frustration is heightened by the fact that I've spent a weekend Backpacking in the Sierra's and another hiking the Monte Bello and Los Trancos preserves near lots of unclaimed caches. My wife reminded me that the surest way to get my old GPSr to show up is to buy a new one. She may be a cynic but she's probably right.

Anyway, my last unit which I've used on hiking and caching trips for nearly three years was the bare bones bright yellow E-Trex. I'd like an upgrade to a better quality screen, downloading and hopefully place names with greater than 7 characters but I don't want to spend more than $250. Walkie Talkie features, built in altimeters and mapping are probably out but they're frills for cachers anyway.

Any advice? Are used models available? Should I stick with Garmin?

/Lefty

Edited by KennyHannahJacob
Thanks for those who replied.  I have 11 on my list for SFO, with the Es Effo as a first stop.  so far I'm looking at:

Blue Light Special

Egrets Enigma

Almost Home

Happy Trails

Yumpin'Yimminee

Mom's Wild Ride

BAB Picnic #2

Hill Sign

And the Rest

Shark Fin Slough

KVOM--

If it's not too late, here's my two cents on you list...

1. I'm pretty sure Hill Sign has had a fire. At least that's the way it looks from the freeway. I checked the logs and it looks like the cache is still intact though.

2. Watch out for POISON OAK at BAB#2!!!

mjp303