Scenic Caches of the Great American Southwest

radical geezer

I've been working on this project for about a month now and the first fruits of my labors will begin appearing in caches in the San Diego county area within the next week. Inspired by Yrium's Pals trading cards, I'm designing a series I'm calling Scenic Caches of the Great American Southwest. These are 4 inch by 6 inch laminated cards featuring a scenic cache view on the front and a print of the cache's web page on the back.

Now I need your help. You can help me on two levels:

1. If you know of a particularly scenic cache location, please let me know so I can go out and get some shots of it.

2. If you have some really nice digital pics of caches that you'd be willing to share, please get in touch with me. My requirements for pictures are as follows:

The picture needs to be about 1600 by 1200 pixels in order to produce a decent print.

The picture must be either the view from the actual cache site or the view of the immediate location where the cache is located.

I am looking for scenic caches anywhere in the southwest, including southern California, southern Nevada, southern Utah and Arizona and New Mexico. Whether or not a card is made of a particular cache site will be my decision alone (Heh! Heh!) and how large the card series will be will ultimately depend on how many scenic caches I can find. I'm hoping, of course, that the cards will inspire fellow cachers to visit some of these sites and take in the views for themselves. I was going to include a sample of the front and back of one of my first cards here, but haven't been able to figure out how to do that. If you want a sample, email me and I'll send you one in an email. If you want an actual card, my plans for the moment dicate that you'll have to get to one of the caches and find one (I'll probably be able to make special arrangements for people outside of CA who turn me on to scenic sites and would like a card). As I put the cards out there, I'll add a notation here to let people know where they are.

Cache on - and

Peace,

Radical Geezer

You are well on your way to starting Geocache trading cards.

"I'll trade you Death Vally for a Grand Canyon" Anything with Mitsuko Ms. Geocache International gracing the scenery would be worth more than your average card. They could be the promo cards.

4x6 won't fit in most caches I've found though. Just your remote ones. But then Scenit was your byline for this series...

Okay, the first group of cards of Scenic Caches of the Great American Southwest are now officially out there. I've done four cards so far and left three copies of each in my new cache, Mystery Pools of Potrero Creek. In addition, I've left cards in the following caches:

3 copies of #2 - Black Mountain Lookout in Sandy Creek Cowboy Cache #2

3 copies of #3 - Kewbz in Meadow Walk

3 copies of #4 - Double D's #1 in This Old Thing

If you find them please let me know what you think.

Peace,

Radical Geezer

More Scenic cache cards out there:

3 copies of #5 - Mystery Pools of Portrero Creek in Adobe Falls

3 copies of #7 - Thread the Needle in Adobe Falls (visit this cache site!!!)

3 copies of #5 - Mystery Pools of Potrero Creek in Pookie's Cache

3 copies of #7 - Thread the Needle in Scripps Cottage

Peace,

Radical Geezer

P.S. Starting to get some photographic input from other cachers. Thanks, Harmon, for the Double D photo and Gecko Dad and Rocket Man for the Thread the Needle photos - and hopefully many more to come!

What about the cache at Tonto Natural Bridge, near Payson, AZ? That is a very beautiful area! I have a very nice digital camera & we are hoping to make a quick trip up there this month. I think the cache is called End of the Rainbow, check it out and let me know if you're interested, there are a few pictures in the logs.

The Pet Posse

Dogs Have Owners....Cats Have Staff!!

GeoBond007 -

Just for you, I scrunched the card fronts together into one pic so you could get some idea of what they look like:

129252_1200.JPG

The actual cards are 4 inches by 6 inches and laminated. The backs have a screen print of the full page description of the cache in question. Even on the longer descriptions the text is still readable. I'm still looking for input from others who have shots of stunning cache locations they're willing to share and have absolutely no idea how many cards will eventually be made.

Peace,

Radical Geezer

Here are some new ones for you. They are from a trip we went on to Utah in early August. The names of the associated caches are below the pictures. Right click the pictures to save them, they are sized to 1600 x 1200. RM

The-Gods-are-Watching-1.jpg The Gods are Watching

The-Gods-are-Watching-2.jpg The Gods are Watching

Seven-Sailors.jpg Seven Sailors

Onion-Creek-Hide-and-Seek-1.jpg Onion Creek Hide and Seek

Onion-Creek-Hide-and-Seek-2.jpg Onion Creek Hide and Seek

Fisher-Tower-Squid-Box-1.jpg Fisher Tower Squid Box

Fisher-Tower-Squid-Box-2.jpg Fisher Tower Squid Box

Hey, thanks a zillion, Rocket Man! This is exactly the kind of stuff I need. I was hoping to have the cache card series up to at least ten by the picnic Saturday and thanks to your contributions I'm sure I will.

I've been hoping there were some scenic caches in the Zion area of Utah, but it's really tough finding them at random. When I've had the time, I've been randomly searching cache logs in the southwest looking for good pictures that have been posted to the cache page. I've found a lot of caches with posts that say things like, "Wow, what a view!" but very few people actually post pictures to let us see what they're talking about.

I'm still looking for some caches in Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico, as well as some coastal southwest CA shots. I've found some coastal shots posted, but no clear indication that they depict the view actually (a) from or (:D of the cache location and are not just a shot of the general area. Also looking for some great desert shots, maybe dramatic sunsets or including some majestic saguaros or adobe ruins or something like that.

These are gonna make some great cards - look for additions to the series before the day is up. BTW, you'll have to let me know how you're posting full sized shots into here. So far, the only way I've found to put photos in here limits me to a file size of 100K.

Peace,

Radical Geezer

OK - thanks to significant help from Rocket Man, three new Scenic Cache cards now exist:

#9 - Fisher Tower Squid Box

#10 - Onion Creek Hide and Seek

#11 - The Gods are Watching

I will have the inaugural editions of these three cache cards - as well as several copies of every one of the previous 8 cards - with me at the San Diego Geocaching Picnic on Saturday.

I'm going to be continuing to distribute all of the cache cards on my caching journeys, but if anyone wants to take the easy route and get cards at the picnic (or directly from me) I'm going to have to ask for a donation of one buck per card. These things eat up printer cartidges like crazy and I can bear the cost of producing them for my caching adventures, but if someone wants to acquire them without finding one of the caches I've left them in I'm gonna need some help to support my color cartridge habit!

Of course, anyone who contributes a picture I can use on a card will receive a copy of the card (I owe you a few, Rocket man). I'll also be glad to send cards to anyone who is willing to cough up the aforementioned donation - just email me and let me know what card(s) you want.

Peace,

Radical Geezer

quote:
Originally posted by radical geezer:

BTW, you'll have to let me know how you're posting full sized shots into here. So far, the only way I've found to put photos in here limits me to a file size of 100K.

I actually posted the pictures to a website that I run for the YMCA as a volunteer. I then just input the link to them in the Image URL Box.

Rocket Man