The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Am I the only one who has thought how much fun it would be, once the Dulzura Conduit is back in action, to hop into it with an innertube at Ed's caches, and ride the conduit and flume all the way to Otay Lakes? That would be an E ticket ride! :D

Ummmm....How many geocachers actually know what an eticket ride is? While I know, they stopped calling them that before I moved here when I was a kid B)

:):DHey . . . are you trying to call us old? :D:D

Why I atta . . . oh, wait . . . that's Harmon's line :P:lol:

I guess the young'uns can Google it.

Please tell us more stuff that was before our time! It feels good to be young! :D What was it like to ride a stagecoach? :D:)

I didn't know what an E ticket ride was 'cause I'm not from around these parts...

Edited by TrailGators

Greetings all!

I am going to post for everyone in our larger group since I am the one that instigated :P

I have a Boy Scout son that heard about geocaching when he was little and I promised him he could do it when he was older. Well, now he's older and I promised, so, I've been reading up in the newbie forums and posted a few questions there. Hopefully we will be getting started here in San Diego soon (Escondido). We'll probably be using Google Earth until we can a unit. In addition to doing this as a family, I'm going to have his whole Scout patrol do this so I can get them better at reading topo maps and learning directions and stuff like that :lol:

We look forward to caching with you all

Greetings all!

I am going to post for everyone in our larger group since I am the one that instigated :lol:

I have a Boy Scout son that heard about geocaching when he was little and I promised him he could do it when he was older. Well, now he's older and I promised, so, I've been reading up in the newbie forums and posted a few questions there. Hopefully we will be getting started here in San Diego soon (Escondido). We'll probably be using Google Earth until we can a unit. In addition to doing this as a family, I'm going to have his whole Scout patrol do this so I can get them better at reading topo maps and learning directions and stuff like that :D

Sorry, but you're not allowed to play this game until you have posted pictures of yourselves for Harmon to 'shop.... :P

Just kidding (sort of...). Welcome to the game! Hope to see you out there soon!

Greetings all!

I am going to post for everyone in our larger group since I am the one that instigated :P

I have a Boy Scout son that heard about geocaching when he was little and I promised him he could do it when he was older. Well, now he's older and I promised, so, I've been reading up in the newbie forums and posted a few questions there. Hopefully we will be getting started here in San Diego soon (Escondido). We'll probably be using Google Earth until we can a unit. In addition to doing this as a family, I'm going to have his whole Scout patrol do this so I can get them better at reading topo maps and learning directions and stuff like that :lol:

Welcome! There are a lot of great trails with caches on them. It might be tough finding caches using Google Earth so you might want to check Ebay. A lot of people have upgraded their old GPSs, so there should be many great deals on a GPS that will get your son started. I'm sure you know this but it can never be said enough, remind the boys to be very careful when they are looking for caches off trails, because we are back into snake season. We saw a rattler yesterday.

Greetings all!

I am going to post for everyone in our larger group since I am the one that instigated :lol:

I have a Boy Scout son that heard about geocaching when he was little and I promised him he could do it when he was older. Well, now he's older and I promised, so, I've been reading up in the newbie forums and posted a few questions there. Hopefully we will be getting started here in San Diego soon (Escondido). We'll probably be using Google Earth until we can a unit. In addition to doing this as a family, I'm going to have his whole Scout patrol do this so I can get them better at reading topo maps and learning directions and stuff like that :)

Sorry, but you're not allowed to play this game until you have posted pictures of yourselves for Harmon to 'shop.... :P

So now its one o'clock and still no pictures. By the way, just how do Boy Scouts wear their sport-socks ... bunched or pulled up like old geezers? That is not a trick question.

Welcome to the game and do keep posting stories of your experiences. ... did I mention posting photos?

Making your son wait until he grew older and larger was a tactical mistake on your part. With wee-ones along you don't have to get down on the ground to crawl around and to look under and into yucky spots for containers. Just ask Kawikaturn, he's been pulling the same stunt for years.

The Google Earth issue has already been mentioned by Trailgators. You might get lucky now and then with Google Earth and with really-good cache hints but don't count on it. Older units found on eBay work just fine; after all, that's what many of us started with and we had a great time.

On the other hand with a troop of Boy Scouts they can just blanket-search an area until they step on or bump into the container ... or snakes. Remember to hike midway back or, better yet, behind the troop so's you won't be the one to make first-encounter with snakes and gopher holes.

Don't forget to have fun. :D

Edited by SD Rowdies

Am I the only one who has thought how much fun it would be, once the Dulzura Conduit is back in action, to hop into it with an innertube at Ed's caches, and ride the conduit and flume all the way to Otay Lakes? That would be an E ticket ride! :D

Ummmm....How many geocachers actually know what an eticket ride is? While I know, they stopped calling them that before I moved here when I was a kid B)

:):DHey . . . are you trying to call us old? :D:D

Why I atta . . . oh, wait . . . that's Harmon's line :P:lol:

I guess the young'uns can Google it.

Please tell us more stuff that was before our time! It feels good to be young! :D What was it like to ride a stagecoach? :D:)

I didn't know what an E ticket ride was 'cause I'm not from around these parts...

I noticed an MTRP log entry a few weeks back that claimed to be too young to know about Star Wars.

Anyone have any scoop on what's going on with the Penasquitos canyon fire today? Were any caches affected?

News article here:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/2...-bn27fire2.html

No homes were harmed. The article didn't say anything about geocaches. (When are those reporters going to get their priorities straight?) The area affected looks like it is mostly the canyon wall (which is pretty steep). As far as I can tell at this point, the area burned has no caches in it.

Someone named "OpenTrackRacer" posted some pictures on Flickr (interestingly enough, there is a geocacher named OpenTrackRacer who is using the same picture of himself on his profile page...)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/schriber/sets...57604767127981/

Sorry, but you're not allowed to play this game until you have posted pictures of yourselves for Harmon to 'shop.... :huh:

So now its one o'clock and still no pictures. By the way, just how do Boy Scouts wear their sport-socks ... bunched or pulled up like old geezers? That is not a trick question.

Welcome to the game and do keep posting stories of your experiences. ... did I mention posting photos?

Making your son wait until he grew older and larger was a tactical mistake on your part. With wee-ones along you don't have to get down on the ground to crawl around and to look under and into yucky spots for containers. Just ask Kawikaturn, he's been pulling the same stunt for years.

The Google Earth issue has already been mentioned by Trailgators. You might get lucky now and then with Google Earth and with really-good cache hints but don't count on it. Older units found on eBay work just fine; after all, that's what many of us started with and we had a great time.

On the other hand with a troop of Boy Scouts they can just blanket-search an area until they step on or bump into the container ... or snakes. Remember to hike midway back or, better yet, behind the troop so's you won't be the one to make first-encounter with snakes and gopher holes.

Don't forget to have fun. :D

Hmmmm...Which order to answer these in :)

Photos....Probably wont get any of me. I'm off the market anyways <grin> Maybe of the boys. I'm sure they'll want to document at least some of their finds for posterity.

We are looking into Ebay as a possibility for a unit, but Google Earth is for financial reasons more than any other. I honestly have NO problem using the real thing! Just need to get the money together. Yes, I know it will be difficult, but the boys really want to do this and we have realistic limitations financially (IE- the patrol can receive donations of course, but if any of our few families could afford a unit, they would get one for their family first, and then consider getting one for the patrol.) We'll see what turns up.

I wont be bringing our whole Troop along (heavens no - 100 boys! what a nightmare), just our little patrol. It's really small because it's a special needs patrol (not going to specify in order to protect the boys, but they are super smart and function well). It's more like a family, so it would be a small blanket looking for a container. I'm in a wheelchair when we're out looking (not limited to it entirely, but I can't hike unpaved trails personally). I will get them started with easier caches and then the dads can take them for ones out on/off the trails :) At any rate, there is only so far and so much and so low I can look anyways. The boys will be doing the rest of the looking. I dont think it's a problem. They are still young enough to be interested in climbing anywhere and everywhere, ducking under bridges, and turning over rocks. I just have to keep reminding them to not destroy where their search. Leave No Trace - Take Only Memories. They have been orienteering some already.

Yes; thanks for the heads up on the snakes. Our Scouts just had their annual camporee this past weekend and the snakes were not shy about interacting with the campers this year! I think three in our Troop alone. Good thing my boys know their first aid (yes: they did place in 3 events, First Aid was one of them). Have to brag because only two boys were there in our patrol -Yay boys! Scout socks are work pulled straight up full length like the snooty Brit Powell was. They dont go sockless though! If they EVER go do that bat cave cache I'll have to have them remind their dads to take along three extra pairs!

Need to get me a cool icon like the rest of ya. I think that was everything. Probably more than you wanted to know even. Thanks for the tips!

I wont be bringing our whole Troop along (heavens no - 100 boys! what a nightmare), just our little patrol. It's really small because it's a special needs patrol (not going to specify in order to protect the boys, but they are super smart and function well). It's more like a family, so it would be a small blanket looking for a container. I'm in a wheelchair when we're out looking (not limited to it entirely, but I can't hike unpaved trails personally). I will get them started with easier caches and then the dads can take them for ones out on/off the trails :huh: At any rate, there is only so far and so much and so low I can look anyways. The boys will be doing the rest of the looking. I dont think it's a problem. They are still young enough to be interested in climbing anywhere and everywhere, ducking under bridges, and turning over rocks. I just have to keep reminding them to not destroy where their search. Leave No Trace - Take Only Memories.
Caches with a terrain-rating of 1 are supposed to be wheelchair accessible. A lot of 1.5s terrains could be OK for you as well. The boys could retreive the container on tougher ones and let you log in. Most low terrain caches are in town but some are in local parks. Carson park has a bunch and would be a good local park to hit. My oldest son is an Eagle Scout but he is in college now. We had a lot of fun during our 10 years of scouting. Good luck with caching!

Just a quick note that I just archived most of my GC's (too many to manage). Sorry for any inconvenience in advance. I had a blast with them and will pick up containers as soon as I can.

Travelita--I just noticed that and was meaning to ask you why! Such a shame, so many of them were in really beautiful locations around Mission Bay. I was working my way through getting them but hadn't finished. I can understand about there being too many to manage, but it doesn't look like you kept many active at all...

Just a quick note that I just archived most of my GC's (too many to manage). Sorry for any inconvenience in advance. I had a blast with them and will pick up containers as soon as I can.

Travelita--I just noticed that and was meaning to ask you why! Such a shame, so many of them were in really beautiful locations around Mission Bay. I was working my way through getting them but hadn't finished. I can understand about there being too many to manage, but it doesn't look like you kept many active at all...

It's too late to let someone adopt them, but if she doesn't want the containers back someone could make new caches out of the ones that are still out there. That seems easier and better than picking them all up... Edited by TrailGators

It's too late to let someone adopt them, but if she doesn't want the containers back someone could make new caches out of the ones that are still out there. That seems easier and better than picking them all up...

C'mon, follow my lead ... "Cache Formerly Known as ...."

Before you go Travelita, tell 'em, you always liked me best huh?

I wont be bringing our whole Troop along (heavens no - 100 boys! what a nightmare), just our little patrol. It's really small because it's a special needs patrol (not going to specify in order to protect the boys, but they are super smart and function well). It's more like a family, so it would be a small blanket looking for a container. I'm in a wheelchair when we're out looking (not limited to it entirely, but I can't hike unpaved trails personally). I will get them started with easier caches and then the dads can take them for ones out on/off the trails ;) At any rate, there is only so far and so much and so low I can look anyways. The boys will be doing the rest of the looking. I dont think it's a problem. They are still young enough to be interested in climbing anywhere and everywhere, ducking under bridges, and turning over rocks. I just have to keep reminding them to not destroy where their search. Leave No Trace - Take Only Memories.
Caches with a terrain-rating of 1 are supposed to be wheelchair accessible. A lot of 1.5s terrains could be OK for you as well. The boys could retreive the container on tougher ones and let you log in. Most low terrain caches are in town but some are in local parks. Carson park has a bunch and would be a good local park to hit. My oldest son is an Eagle Scout but he is in college now. We had a lot of fun during our 10 years of scouting. Good luck with caching!

Thank you <again> for your advice. You are very helpful. Glad I have such a friendly neighbor! I also found the handocaching site that rates the caches. I know they wont always have info on all of the caches we want to do, but at least it will give me a fair idea. And I do know that a premium membership lets me sort with that criteria too. I figured the preium membership was the one thing we needed to do. I am waiting to upgrade though. --- What Troop did your son Eagle from? Maybe we know him/you. We know lots of Scout people. While my son is fiercly loyal to his Troop, he knows people everywhere. Last year I swear he knew at least one boy from every single Troop at Camporee. Even the Valley Center ones. Go figure!

Thanks again for the warm welcomes! :)

I wont be bringing our whole Troop along (heavens no - 100 boys! what a nightmare), just our little patrol. It's really small because it's a special needs patrol (not going to specify in order to protect the boys, but they are super smart and function well). It's more like a family, so it would be a small blanket looking for a container. I'm in a wheelchair when we're out looking (not limited to it entirely, but I can't hike unpaved trails personally). I will get them started with easier caches and then the dads can take them for ones out on/off the trails ;) At any rate, there is only so far and so much and so low I can look anyways. The boys will be doing the rest of the looking. I dont think it's a problem. They are still young enough to be interested in climbing anywhere and everywhere, ducking under bridges, and turning over rocks. I just have to keep reminding them to not destroy where their search. Leave No Trace - Take Only Memories.

Thank you <again> for your advice. You are very helpful. Glad I have such a friendly neighbor! I also found the handocaching site that rates the caches. I know they wont always have info on all of the caches we want to do, but at least it will give me a fair idea. And I do know that a premium membership lets me sort with that criteria too. I figured the preium membership was the one thing we needed to do. I am waiting to upgrade though. --- What Troop did your son Eagle from? Maybe we know him/you. We know lots of Scout people. While my son is fiercly loyal to his Troop, he knows people everywhere. Last year I swear he knew at least one boy from every single Troop at Camporee. Even the Valley Center ones. Go figure!

Thanks again for the warm welcomes! :D

You are welcome. We can talk offline sometime about the other stuff... :) Edited by TrailGators

Thanks again for the warm welcomes! :)

With Premium membership you will be able to build Pocket Queries using a selection Attribute for "Wheelchair Accessible" caches.

One of my sweet-bride's brothers is completely confined to his wheelchair. He lives in Oregon. When we introduced him to Geocaching last year we included the PQ selection Attribute for Wheelchair-Accessible hides. During our hunt with him we discovered that, with only one exception, the Wheelchair-Accessible caches were not in fact accessible to him because, in the end, he needed to stand and walk one or more steps for each such hide.

In the one case where he made the grab he used a litter-picker to root around and grab the container that was hidden at the base of a chain-link fence post. My gosh was he ever happy about that grab!

While true that he could approach each hide with his wheelchair he needed a buddy to make the actual grab. Luckily he has a buddy that will hang-out with him when fishing and Geocaching.

Here's the punchline ...

281c98f9-47bc-4022-a6c0-8604c17b7684.jpg

My sweet-bride is an ex-nun and comes from a family of four sisters and three brothers. So as

you can see from the photo she will go to any length to help a sibling. The front-loader belongs

to one of her other brothers and so Sandy fired it up for wheelchair-accessible Geocaching.

Turns out that her approach works darned-good for hanging hides in bushes and trees too.

Sandy's theory is "If you've grabbed the tree or bush then you've grabbed the container."

I'm good-to-go with her theory, after all, you'll get nowhere arguing with an ex-nun.

Edited by SD Rowdies

What do you all think about the Magellan MAP 330X Handheld? Found one on Ebay that's even local and still in the reasonable range. Thought I'd ask if anyone knows how they fare - personal experience or etc.

Magellan has pretty bad customer support. I really like the Garmin 60CSx. See if you can find one of them on eBay...

So why archive all but one?? why delete all your personal finds???? Didn't she do this before. Why put them out if your going to archive them ??? 0002014F.gif I did a few of hers last weekend and the logs still had plenty of room, so what is there to manage. 000201DD.gif Doesn't make much sense.?????

That would be me!

The only cache that might have been affected is War (GCJXTW). It's right in the fire area. Everything else around should be okay.

By the way, I guess I should say hi to other San Diego cachers. I've been posting in other forums but this is the first time I've wandered into this thread.

I've been caching for just a few months, mainly while camping but now I'm getting more into it (as I'm apt to do). My daughter really likes it too. I just set my first cache and I'm sure there will be more to come.

Anyone have any scoop on what's going on with the Penasquitos canyon fire today? Were any caches affected?

News article here:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/2...-bn27fire2.html

No homes were harmed. The article didn't say anything about geocaches. (When are those reporters going to get their priorities straight?) The area affected looks like it is mostly the canyon wall (which is pretty steep). As far as I can tell at this point, the area burned has no caches in it.

Someone named "OpenTrackRacer" posted some pictures on Flickr (interestingly enough, there is a geocacher named OpenTrackRacer who is using the same picture of himself on his profile page...)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/schriber/sets...57604767127981/

What do you all think about the Magellan MAP 330X Handheld? Found one on Ebay that's even local and still in the reasonable range. Thought I'd ask if anyone knows how they fare - personal experience or etc.

I have a Magellan 500. I will never buy another one of their products. Flagman was being nice when he said poor customer support. They have been no help to me at all

While true that he could approach each hide with his wheelchair he needed a buddy to make the actual grab. Luckily he has a buddy that will hang-out with him when fishing and Geocaching.

Here's the punchline ...

My sweet-bride is an ex-nun and comes from a family of four sisters and three brothers. So as

you can see from the photo she will go to any length to help a sibling. The front-loader belongs

to one of her other brothers and so Sandy fired it up for wheelchair-accessible Geocaching.

Turns out that her approach works darned-good for hanging hides in bushes and trees too.

Sandy's theory is "If you've grabbed the tree or bush then you've grabbed the container."

I'm good-to-go with her theory, after all, you'll get nowhere arguing with an ex-nun.

This was just TOOOO funny when I first read it. I had to wait until I had a wink of sleep before I responded. Alsways nice when ya got your family around. Does look like that sweet one of yours does take sibling responsibility seriously. Heck with THAT thing and your wifes logic, then maybe i could do that bat cave cache. Cleared the path touched the cave........ :lol: (That's obviously not me since I like to leave nature the way it is for the most part).

That said; my son has already looked over the rating criteria for the handicaching system and he says he is going to make sure there will be more truly accessible ones once he gets the idea down how to do this. He asked me whether kids are allowed to place them or whether only adults could and I dont know that yet. Anyone?

Late breaking news on behalf of FlagMan!

FlagSon Evan is competing in the Academic League competition and his team, Scripps Ranch has made it into the finals against Eastlake. The finals will be televised on ITV (Channel 16) at 7pm

Congrats Evan! Go Scripps Ranch!

wooam5.gif

Yahoo! I hope that they're required to solve and find a puzzle cache as part of the challenge -- then Evan's team is bound to win :lol: In any case, what a cool achievement. Congratulations!

FlagSon Evan is competing in the Academic League competition and his team, Scripps Ranch has made it into the finals against Eastlake. The finals will be televised on ITV (Channel 16) at 7pm

Bummer... They lost momentum in a tight match with a couple minutes to go and couldn't get it back... But they beat La Jolla and Rancho Bernardo to get there, and those are some really tough teams!

Bummer... They lost momentum in a tight match with a couple minutes to go and couldn't get it back... But they beat La Jolla and Rancho Bernardo to get there, and those are some really tough teams!

They did very well! B)

Here's the punchline ...

This was just TOOOO funny when I first read it. I had to wait until I had a wink of sleep before I responded. Alsways nice when ya got your family around. Does look like that sweet one of yours does take sibling responsibility seriously. Heck with THAT thing and your wifes logic, then maybe i could do that bat cave cache. Cleared the path touched the cave........ B) (That's obviously not me since I like to leave nature the way it is for the most part).

That said; my son has already looked over the rating criteria for the handicaching system and he says he is going to make sure there will be more truly accessible ones once he gets the idea down how to do this. He asked me whether kids are allowed to place them or whether only adults could and I dont know that yet. Anyone?

Yes indeed, kids can place caches but if they place them in a residential front-yard then we'll have to paddle him or worse.

HEY..........Where is everybody?????????

Thought I'd bump this one ....................

Question...................Does anybody have more than 354 DNF's ??? :D:D

Just wondering if we claimed that championship back from Chuy! yet :)

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller.............

The Splashes :D:D

Question...................Does anybody have more than 354 DNF's ??? :D:D

Just wondering if we claimed that championship back from Chuy! yet :)

Question...................Does anybody have more than 354 DNF's ??? :blink::(

Just wondering if we claimed that championship back from Chuy! yet :blink:

The Splashes ;):(

Where the heck did everybody go?

With me occupied as caregiver for my sweet-bride's big-toe operation I'm basically out of the game for three-months minimum and maybe as much as six months. Fact is Sandy is recoverinig nicely and she is looking forward to shedding the big robo-boot soon.

My house-keeping, cooking, shopping and related skills are starting to show improvement, you know, according to me that is.

Here's a tip for you ladies ... don't spend your life wearing stylish shoes.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Question...................Does anybody have more than 354 DNF's ??? :(;)

The Splashes :blink::(

With me occupied as caregiver for my sweet-bride's big-toe operation I'm basically out of the game for three-months minimum and maybe as much as six months. Fact is Sandy is recoverinig nicely and she is looking forward to shedding the big robo-boot soon.

My house-keeping, cooking, shopping and related skills are starting to show improvement, you know, according to me that is.

Harmon

Glad to hear that your sweet bride is doing better Harmon! That's a good tip about the shoes for the ladies. The ladies spend so much time making their feet look good, but I've never understood it. I know I've never seen a lady walk by a group of guys and then heard any of the guys say, "Wow! Did you see those feet!" ;)

The Splashes :blink::(

Harmon

Glad to hear that your sweet bride is doing better Harmon! That's a good tip about the shoes for the ladies. The ladies spend so much time making their feet look good, but I've never understood it. I know I've never seen a lady walk by a group of guys and then heard any of the guys say, "Wow! Did you see those feet!" ;)

So it started out looking like a big bunyon and a curved big toe. Next the toe-bones started grating together and causing pain. The doctor broke, shortened, and pinned the bone of the foot that mates with the large bone of the big toe. Then he circumferentially cut bone away from the end of both bones removing the bunyon growth. Finally he poked tiny holes into the end of the mating foot-bone with a wire in order to stimulate cartilage growth over the end of that bone. Of course shortening the foot bone results in slack in the big-toe ligament that, over time, will adapt.

Yesterday Sandy joined me for grocery shopping at Wal*Mart, she riding the Wal*Mart electric senior-cart and me trailing behind with shopping basket. Should have shot some video for YouTube.

Say, you should sample some of my creamy mashed-potatoes.

The Splashes :blink::D

Harmon

Glad to hear that your sweet bride is doing better Harmon! That's a good tip about the shoes for the ladies. The ladies spend so much time making their feet look good, but I've never understood it. I know I've never seen a lady walk by a group of guys and then heard any of the guys say, "Wow! Did you see those feet!" :(

So it started out looking like a big bunyon and a curved big toe. Next the toe-bones started grating together and causing pain. The doctor broke, shortened, and pinned the bone of the foot that mates with the large bone of the big toe. Then he circumferentially cut bone away from the end of both bones removing the bunyon growth. Finally he poked tiny holes into the end of the mating foot-bone with a wire in order to stimulate cartilage growth over the end of that bone. Of course shortening the foot bone results in slack in the big-toe ligament that, over time, will adapt.

Yesterday Sandy joined me for grocery shopping at Wal*Mart, she riding the Wal*Mart electric senior-cart and me trailing behind with shopping basket. Should have shot some video for YouTube.

Say, you should sample some of my creamy mashed-potatoes.

Ouch! They need to make some shoes that look good and don't mess up their feet. ;)

Question...................Does anybody have more than 354 DNF's ??? ;):blink:

Just wondering if we claimed that championship back from Chuy! yet :D

Harmon

Soooooooooooooooo, who has more than 354 DNF'S ?????????????? :(;)

Are tennis shoes considered 'stylish shoes' ?

Splashette :(

Question...................Does anybody have more than 354 DNF's ??? ;):blink:

Just wondering if we claimed that championship back from Chuy! yet :D

Harmon

Soooooooooooooooo, who has more than 354 DNF'S ?????????????? :(;)

:D Is there an easy way to count them? I bet we'd give you a run for your money..

Soooooooooooooooo, who has more than 354 DNF'S ?????????????? ;):blink:

383 DNFs - count 'em and weep. :blink:

9d9001e2-7a3b-434d-ab3d-e71b57da11a7.jpg

EDIT: Jodi, go to My Account--ShowAllLogsFor:Caches--Show:Didn'tFindIt.

Edited by Chuy!

My first posting, so we'll see how this goes. I hope this ends up in the right place. :blink:

For those interested, my daughter (Trekker #2) was interviewed by The Nexus which is the newspaper at Westview High School for Issue #9, Vol 6 Apr 21, 2008. She was interviewed about Geocaching. When I get a chance, I will scan and post the article. A couple of facts are off a little, but it's mostly correct and it's interesting to read. Especially since I got to see how my daughter sees this sport. :(

Soooooooooooooooo, who has more than 354 DNF'S ?????????????? :blink:;)

I wish I hadn't looked....

45f52a57-f72f-4d58-92df-81dfac5a2c0c.jpg

Edited by jahoadi and john

Soooooooooooooooo, who has more than 354 DNF'S ?????????????? :blink::(

We only have 165 DNFs, but we only have 1/3 of your cache finds, so our RODNFs (rate of DNFs) make you look like eagle-eyes! ;)

Question...................Does anybody have more than 354 DNF's ??? ;):D

Just wondering if we claimed that championship back from Chuy! yet ;)

Harmon

Soooooooooooooooo, who has more than 354 DNF'S ?????????????? :(:blink:

Janie,

I've seen your tennis shoes but only from far-behind you on the trail.

Harmon

p.s. Had light kitchen-duty tonight ... Sandy wanted a Sub' sandwich.

Edited by SD Rowdies

:D:D HOLY CROAK :blink::blink:

That must be a mistake...................600 DNF's............NO Way!!!!!!! ;)

Passing Chuy! looks pretty doable for us, but even coming close to J&J................

HOLY CROAK :(;)

We need to get one of those DNF T-shirts like Lostguy has............

The Splashes :(:D

:blink::blink: HOLY CROAK :(;)

That must be a mistake...................600 DNF's............NO Way!!!!!!! :(

Passing Chuy! looks pretty doable for us, but even coming close to J&J................

HOLY CROAK ;):D

We need to get one of those DNF T-shirts like Lostguy has............

Janie.....uhmmmm....shhh..this is really one of those stats you want to hide...For over 6 months we went to a cache every month with a new hint and still DNF'ed it. We finally took someone with us and he found it..embarassing..but 6 of those DNFs are the same cache...

...6 of those DNFs are the same cache...

Hmmm...This raises controversial questions about DNFs...

• Should you be able to log multiple frownies on a cache that you didn't find? Doesn't the act of not finding it include the totality of all failed attempts to search for a cache?
  • Should you be allowed to log a frownie on a cache that turns out to missing? If the cache wasn't there to find, then can you really claim that you didn't find it?
  • On a multicache, should you be able to log a frownie for each WP that you didn't find? (Those that argue against, claim that a 5-star cache is much easier to DNF than a 1-star and yet you still only get one frownie. Why should multicaches be treated differently?
  • What if you were there when the cache was placed? If you didn't find the cache at that point, is this a FTDNF or were you merely a beta-DNF?
  • Do you have to not sign the log book in order to claim a DNF?

And the most controversial of all...

• Should you be able to log a "Did not attend" for every event cache that you didn't find at an event? (Of course, the mere fact that there is no such thing as a "Did Not Attend" log type makes this doubly controversial...)

:D:D

...6 of those DNFs are the same cache...

Hmmm...This raises controversial questions about DNFs...

• Should you be able to log multiple frownies on a cache that you didn't find? Doesn't the act of not finding it include the totality of all failed attempts to search for a cache?
  • Should you be allowed to log a frownie on a cache that turns out to missing? If the cache wasn't there to find, then can you really claim that you didn't find it?
  • On a multicache, should you be able to log a frownie for each WP that you didn't find? (Those that argue against, claim that a 5-star cache is much easier to DNF than a 1-star and yet you still only get one frownie. Why should multicaches be treated differently?
  • What if you were there when the cache was placed? If you didn't find the cache at that point, is this a FTDNF or were you merely a beta-DNF?
  • Do you have to not sign the log book in order to claim a DNF?

And the most controversial of all...

• Should you be able to log a "Did not attend" for every event cache that you didn't find at an event? (Of course, the mere fact that there is no such thing as a "Did Not Attend" log type makes this doubly controversial...)

:D:D

I was thinking that since those guys have beaten most of us in finds at least they can't claim what is rightfully ours: all the caches that they found that we didn't find yet or a DNFY! DNFYs are inversely proportional to finds. A high number of these mean that these people have a lot more fun to look forward to in the future! :D However, I looked and there is no DNFY log! :D That's a bummer because many of us sucking hind __ could've been high on the list for one darn thing in this game! :D Edited by TrailGators