Location already taken

GeocacheMonster

Can lab cache take location (161 meters) the same as the traditional or final location of mystery and multi cache? 

We are trying to figure out where or what the problem is. That area is not the final location of any mystery or multi-cache, only a starting point of Adventure lab cache. 

Six months ago, I had a tradi cache on that location, and there are no new caches except that Lab cache. 

We are kinda confuzed :D 

12 hours ago, MaG_MM said:

Six months ago, I had a tradi cache on that location

When your traditional cache was archived, someone else made an unpublished cache on the same location. You must wait until the new cache is published or few months has passed and you can try again.

3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Adventure labs are required to be virtual so they don't have any saturation limit, nor do they impact on the saturation limits of other caches. The 161 metre satuation rule only applies to physical elements.

3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Me too. I'm not sure what problem you are talking about.

I think there is a bug or something else.  I am 100% completely sure that there are no finals of any mystery/multi and no disabled geocaches. 

I got  GC675EP is 22 m NE of your waypoint. Minimum acceptable distance is 161 m. Learn moreand that is an earth cache. Coordinates are not even in the earth cache 161 meters circle, coordinates are in an adventure lab circle. 

1 hour ago, arisoft said:

When your traditional cache was archived, someone else made an unpublished cache on the same location. You must wait until the new cache is published or few months has passed and you can try again.

Since when unpublished geocache can block a location?

X2.jpg

Edited by MaG_MM
11 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

How do you know this, and what about caches that have not yet been published?

I admit I'm perplexed about the Earth Cache distance.

There are Adventure Lab circles?

I've found almost every cache in my town with around 350 k people and five geocachers that hide geocaches. Also, I found every cache except four multi caches. I've asked the owner if final locations are around there, and he said no. 

About not published geocaches. Are you sure that unpublished geocache can take a spot? That is quite crazy because the cache can be unpublished for many years. I have been trying to find a location for this cache for more than three months. 

The only circle in my coordinates is lab cache; others are earth and tradi. 

Edited by MaG_MM
5 minutes ago, MaG_MM said:

I've found almost every cache in my town with around 350 k people and five geocachers that hide geocaches. Also, I found every cache except four multi caches. I've asked the owner if final locations are around there, and he said no. 

About not published geocaches. Are you sure that unpublished geocache can take a spot? That is quite crazy because the cache can be unpublished for many years. I have been trying to find a location for this cache for more than three months. 

The only circle in my coordinates is lab cache; others are earth and tradi. 

6.16. Unpublished geocaches may be archived

It’s good etiquette to submit your cache page for review within three months of creation. Inactive and unpublished cache pages may delay the review of newly submitted geocaches. To prevent this, inactive cache pages that are older than ten months may be automatically archived.

Edited by Max and 99
Added Help Center link
  • Helpful 1
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

It’s good etiquette to submit your cache page for review within three months of creation. Inactive and unpublished cache pages may delay the review of newly submitted geocaches. To prevent this, inactive cache pages that are older than ten months may be automatically archived.

Wow, that is something completely new to me. 10 months is maybe too long time... You really helped me a lot, thanks! 

20 minutes ago, MaG_MM said:

Wow, that is something completely new to me. 10 months is maybe too long time... You really helped me a lot, thanks! 

If I remember correctly, when you submit your cache and it's in conflict with an unpublished cache, the owner of the unpublished cache may be contacted by the reviewer to ask if he/she still intends to publish it there. I don't know how common that is but I believe it has happened in my area.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, MaG_MM said:

think there is a bug or something else.  I am 100% completely sure that there are no finals of any mystery/multi and no disabled geocaches. 

I got  GC675EP is 22 m NE of your waypoint. Minimum acceptable distance is 161 m. Learn moreand that is an earth cache. Coordinates are not even in the earth cache 161 meters circle, coordinates are in an adventure lab circle. 

I see what's happening. That EarthCache has a physical waypoint (S2) listed at N 45° 19.657 E 014° 26.654 which is 22 metres from your location. I didn't think EarthCaches could have physical waypoints so perhaps there's a bug that allowed that to happen. From reading the EC description, I'm pretty sure its waypoints were meant to be virtual rather than physical, unless the CO built the church, so the problem is in the EC listing.

• Upvote 1

The Earthcache owner has duplicated its posted coords as a  physical final and indicated stages as physical

This is an error. I'll ask a Geoaware to fix it

The planning map does  not check Lab cache locations.

The planning map will NOT warn of other unpublished caches   - that info might come from a reviewer

Edited by palmetto
  • Helpful 5
1 hour ago, MaG_MM said:

To be honest I am not impressed with ˝10 years˝ at all. My wife is a 2002. player so you need a lot more years to brag about how long you play  ...  

In this case you should know the answer better than me because it has happened during your active career, not mine.

Edited by arisoft
  • Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

If I remember correctly, when you submit your cache and it's in conflict with an unpublished cache, the owner of the unpublished cache may be contacted by the reviewer to ask if he/she still intends to publish it there. I don't know how common that is but I believe it has happened in my area.

That's also what happens where I am.

• Helpful 2
On 12/5/2021 at 5:11 AM, Max and 99 said:

Happened to me personally and I willingly gave the spot up.  I don't know if it's done all the time, everywhere, by every reviewer but this applies to my area as well.

On 12/4/2021 at 2:04 PM, MaG_MM said:

Can lab cache take location (161 meters) the same as the traditional or final location of mystery and multi cache? 

We are trying to figure out where or what the problem is. That area is not the final location of any mystery or multi-cache, only a starting point of Adventure lab cache. 

While they don't technically block the space, placing a Traditional that's near an EarthCache AND an Adventure Lab seems kind of unnecessary. Cachers already have two reasons to visit the location. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, JL_HSTRE said:

While they don't technically block the space, placing a Traditional that's near an EarthCache AND an Adventure Lab seems kind of unnecessary. Cachers already have two reasons to visit the location. 

Hmm. Hubby dislikes Earthcaches, and we don't do Adventure Labs. So for us, a traditional there would be just fine. :) Others' mileage may vary.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 2
9 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Earth cache has 3 stages, adventure lab has nothing with this location the same as earth cache and this is Adventure lab's starting point. My mystery is for a completely different location. Be aware that I am in a Europe in a small 300K people town and we have a lot of things to show, especially in the center of town. 

It often takes time for me to complete planned caches, so I need to hold the place with an unpublished listing for some time. My caches are often dependent on the location, have to be built, have to be planned in detail...

...but how long can I hold the place (granted that it was free in the first place) without making reviewer notes, before it is archived? I have seen three different rules:

- 30 days

- 3 months

- one year

In case someone else tries to get the place, I will either give it up or complete my cache very quickly. So that is not the case I am thinking of here. My cases are caches in not very busy areas where the location is not expected to be in high demand so there are rarely collisions with others.

So what are the rules?

• Funny 1

My experience the last couple of years is that you need to do something with the listing every 3 months.

I think that it's enough that you edit the listing and change the placed date 3 months ahead and save.

If you want to make it more clear that you still are working on the cache write one reviewer note that you edit and change the date to the same day you edit the listing.

So if you create a new cache today and do nothing about it it may be archived 3 months later. Or maybe 4-6 depending on how often the reviewers in you area check unpublished caches in the system.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Ragnemalm said:

It often takes time for me to complete planned caches, so I need to hold the place with an unpublished listing for some time. My caches are often dependent on the location, have to be built, have to be planned in detail...

...but how long can I hold the place (granted that it was free in the first place) without making reviewer notes, before it is archived? I have seen three different rules:

- 30 days

- 3 months

- one year

In case someone else tries to get the place, I will either give it up or complete my cache very quickly. So that is not the case I am thinking of here. My cases are caches in not very busy areas where the location is not expected to be in high demand so there are rarely collisions with others.

So what are the rules?

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/368203-location-already-taken/

• Upvote 1
On 12/5/2021 at 10:43 AM, Max and 99 said:

That is one of the sources I referred to above. It says:

"Inactive and unpublished cache pages may delay the review of newly submitted geocaches. To prevent this, inactive cache pages that are older than ten months may be automatically archived."

Ten months... or three... or one.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
On 12/13/2021 at 10:53 PM, JL_HSTRE said:

That is usually considered an advantage.

• Surprised 1
2 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Only if your goal is numbers.

Not necessarily. Having multiple caches in an area also makes it possible to find a cache each time you visit a location, over the course of multiple visits. If I visit a park with a single geocache, then I'm done finding geocaches in that park once I find it. But if the park has a few dozen caches, then I could find a cache each time I visit, and I can continue finding geocaches in that park for a few dozen visits.

That isn't about numbers. That's about being able to continue geocaching after your first visit to the location.

• Funny 3
2 hours ago, niraD said:

If I visit a park with a single geocache, then I'm done finding geocaches in that park once I find it. But if the park has a few dozen caches, then I could find a cache each time I visit, and I can continue finding geocaches in that park for a few dozen visits.

1. I was talking about a "location" as in one small area, not an entire park.

2. What you describe is very inefficient, unless it's a large park.

3. Geocaching brought you to the park once. If it's worth revisiting you will go back whether there are still unfound geocaches there or not.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, JL_HSTRE said:

2. What you describe is very inefficient, unless it's a large park.

Since when is geocaching supposed to be about efficiency?

1 hour ago, JL_HSTRE said:

3. Geocaching brought you to the park once. If it's worth revisiting you will go back whether there are still unfound geocaches there or not.

Maybe. Maybe geocaching brought me to the park. And sure, I could come back without doing any geocaching.

Or maybe not. Maybe it's a park I visit regularly for other reasons, and I'd like to do a little geocaching while I'm there. I rarely go somewhere for the sake of geocaching. Usually, I go somewhere for other reasons, and do some geocaching while I'm there.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

I've had pending caches archived, without notice, by a reviewer a couple of times. The last was a mystery but it was in a spot which compromised an existing D5 mystery.  I had a sentimental reason for the spot I had chosen for my mystery but I had a suspicion it was close to the 161m of the D5. I thought my pending cache would be ok until I could solve the D5 and re-adjust my coordinates. As I suck at puzzles, I made almost no headway solving the D5 but I would periodically return to it. My cache was in place and was actually found by Lee737 IIRC. All came to an end when a reviewer archived it. I've now given up on it.

On 4/13/2023 at 11:34 PM, colleda said:

I've had pending caches archived, without notice, by a reviewer a couple of times. The last was a mystery but it was in a spot which compromised an existing D5 mystery.  I had a sentimental reason for the spot I had chosen for my mystery but I had a suspicion it was close to the 161m of the D5. I thought my pending cache would be ok until I could solve the D5 and re-adjust my coordinates. As I suck at puzzles, I made almost no headway solving the D5 but I would periodically return to it. My cache was in place and was actually found by Lee737 IIRC. All came to an end when a reviewer archived it. I've now given up on it.

So how long had it waited until it was archived?

On 4/14/2023 at 7:34 AM, colleda said:

We did find it.... we were actually having a poke around for that D5 puzzle at the time, and thought we'd found it.... We've solved it (with help) since, so if you would like some help, sing out.... :)

• Helpful 1
On 4/13/2023 at 1:38 PM, JL_HSTRE said:

Only if your goal is numbers.

That is certainly one pf the advantages, but not the only one. Even if your goal isn't to log a lot fast, you get pretty intensive action. Mixing a multi-stage multi and a Wherigo doesn't give you more logs that two traditionals but a lot more things happen on that way there. ALC's, however, are very much constructed for numbers as goal.

It's been years since I hid a cache, but it used to be that my local reviewer would not say anything unless someone else wanted to hide something near GZ. Then he would ask what my intentions were. then whole community out in Long Island was very cordial and we helped each other out when we could. Then reviewer was very quick with publishing and would work with you to resolve disputes.

@Geocaching HQ Admin will periodically sweep for unpublished listings and archive them after an extended period of inactivity (around 10 months).

If a conflict comes up, and it's clear that an unpublished listing is taking up space but is not going to turn into an actual geocache, a reviewer might archive the listing prior to that.

So, to answer your question (which you appear to have re-asked in another thread but perhaps meant to post here):

On 4/13/2023 at 1:28 AM, Ragnemalm said:

how long can I hold the place (granted that it was free in the first place) without making reviewer notes, before it is archived? I have seen three different rules:

- 30 days

- 3 months

- one year

Proper etiquette is that a cacher should not "reserve" a spot with an unpublished listing for more than three months.

If a cacher forgets, the listing is normally archived automatically after ten months of inactivity.

(Since these two threads have now been confused, I'm going to go ahead and merge this one into that one.)

• Upvote 1