Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Pat,

Congratulations of hitting 200 finds. It was great feeling for us when we hit 200. Sounds like you had a good time finding it today.

Jaimee

Your next...Kelley and I even got together a hello kitty cache to help you get there. It should be up tomarrow(Ihope).

Mary

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

Thanks all for the Congrats on finding #200. In the morning we are heading out to try and get Jaimee to her goal of 200 before school starts. Hopefully we'll be able to do it. icon_biggrin.gif You never know though. It might end up being a long day, but I'm sure it will be fun.

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

I got the National Geographic TOPO! for California. It's crazy detailed. It's only California, and it's on 10 CDs.

I'll burn 'em for you and let you know when I'm done. I'll do it at work where I have a 16x burner. It'd take me forever at home.

There's some really cool downloads (free) from their website. Trails and stuff that you can overlay on the maps and then it will automatically create routes and download them into your GPS. It works really well with Garmin's TOPO maps loaded, and the TOPO! (NG) trails on top of that.

ALSO: Congratulations Fattuhr! Excellent job!

This is the URL I used for the image.

http://home.super-genius.com/graphics/fossil.JPG

I have no idea if that's even remotely close to being correct.

Pepper icon_frown.gif

Oh my gosh when I put in that URL and updated my message it WORKED I can't beleive I did it all by myself.

I found this on my hike doing Superman in Las Trapas I know it's a long way from Fossil Find can I use it can I now post a find? icon_biggrin.giflol

Horizontals where it's at!

Very informative information you gave me there I never even thought of doing that. The Fossil is a sand dollar I think and it is the size of half dollar. The rock it self is was about 10" long it was laying on the ground so I put it up on a larger rock for anyone that might pass by would be able to enjoy the fossil as much as I did.

I learn something new everyday! This is a good thing.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

Whew! We left the house at about 8 a.m., and I have found 8 caches so far. Since it is hotter than blue blazes out there right now, we can home for a shower and siesta! I am going to head back out later in the afternoon/eary evening when the sun starts setting a bit.

Thanks to everyone for placing all these fun new caches all over!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

Ron, I have the Palm os (handspring visor) The GPS unit is a magellan. It plugs right into the back of your visor. It comes with it's own software, It's a Map and Nav software. I got it at Staples for $149.00 I'm going to go play with it right now. Mike

Flying is the 2nd greatest thrill known to man...Landing is the 1st

.I'm anxious to see your new toy. Is your screen in color or monochrome?

The Magellan (companion?) is the equivalent of the Mag 315 I think. Been awhile since I read up on this.

Why did you decide to go this route, and will you still use your regular gps in conjunction with the Visor? Since you have multiple players in your family it sure doesn't hurt to have 3 or 4 devices !

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

Now that it's not quite as hot, we are heading back out. I have 8 or 9 lined up in case I end up with a DNF somewhere along the way!

This is what I call marathon caching..but it's fun!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

I got part of it figured out I think, I went and looked for fun cache 1 since it's so close and with all the tree cover it still got me with in 3.3 feet. I was going to go get a new gps today because it's hard to share with my wife. we are always fighting over who gets to hold the gps. I came across this palm stuff did a little quick reading on it and decided to get it. It has a lot more features than a gps unit of the same price. Plus you can switch back and forth between your mobipocket sheets and the gps. If you go out hunting this week let me know. maybe we can meet up somewhere. I think you will get a kick out of this new unit. Mike

Hey guys, I put those log sheets from Pepper and George to use and placed 2 (embarrassingly easy) 1/1 caches in Tracy this weekend, Timber Wolf and Car vs. Train (stole the car vs. Train idea from Ron) I figured I should put two out fairly close together so you could get your money's worth. What ever you do DRIVE to these caches. I was on my mountain bike and almost got mauled by two rotweilers.

BTW... George some guy named lonnigan e-mailed me asking about your greenway cache. I don't know why he didn't just e-mail you about it since you placed it. I think he wanted to know what kind of container it was in. I didn't e-mail him just in case it was someone just trying to cheat. (even though he said he was from Tenn or something)

BTW x2

Anyone wanna buy the jeep in the pic to the left? I'm selling it to buy a new one. $6,000 or best offer. Great rig to use for caching....

KURTULEAS

quote:
Originally posted by kurtuleas:

BTW... George some guy named lonnigan e-mailed me asking about your greenway cache. I don't know why he didn't just e-mail you about it since you placed it. I think he wanted to know what kind of container it was in. I didn't e-mail him just in case it was someone just trying to cheat. (even though he said he was from Tenn or something)

Thanks for not telling him anything. It's better if you figure that one out anyway.

quote:

BTW x2

Anyone wanna buy the jeep in the pic to the left? I'm selling it to buy a new one. $6,000 or best offer. Great rig to use for caching....

KURTULEAS

Sorry, just bought a 72 Bronco. I'll pick up wednesday. Are you free Mike?

george

5867_200.gif

I didn't get it done. We went out and did G&M's new ones in Patterson and Crows Landing. Our original plan was to then head over to Tracy to finish up the last 4 on my list. Where we were standing at the cache site, we could see I-5, and it was very heavy with traffic. I said "forget it" and decided to finish up another time.

It would figure that today was hot as all get out. It's only supposed to be in the high 70s on Friday..now THAT is my kind of weather, especially for being outdoors.

Thanks everyone for trying to help me hit 200 today..it is much appreciated!

Off to bed so I can be well-rested for the first day of school tomorrow..yipppeeeee!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

After all the talk about different cache types, I did an amusing thing this weekend. I generated a spreadsheet of all the caches I have found, and got a summary how many of each cache type I've done, and where. It's not hard to do using Excel pivot tables. Let's see if it works:

My stats as of 9/1/2002

Interesting, huh? Using the pivot tables, you can answer all kinds of questions, like how many caches you found in each month, how many on each day of the week, etc. With a little more work, I'll be able to calculate how far they are from me and other distance-replated things.

Yeah, I know. I need to get a life.

Personally, it is my goal to have finds in as many states as possible. 7 down, 44 to go (because DC is counted). I'm also hoping to find caches in other countries this fall. That seems to me to be more stylish than having tons of finds near home, but that's just my opinion.

[This message was edited by fizzymagic on September 02, 2002 at 11:10 PM.]

That seems to me to be more stylish than having tons of finds near home, but that's just my opinion.

Afterall, style is everything! icon_wink.gif

Fizzy, you rock!

I like your concept, especially since I'll never hit the kinds of numbers that our friends here have.

-Mark.

Will cache for food

Jaimee...

I have always been a procrastinator so I have had to put "deadlines" on myself to get things done, but now that I am semi-retired I find I have more time to do what I WANT and NEED to do, so I have backed off on MAKING myself achieve goals by a certain time. I may STILL set those goals, but if I don't accomplish them, there's always TOMORROW.

To extend this idea, I've also come to the conclusion the last few days that any effort on my part to impose MY ideas on others (George about locationless and what "competition" is) is pretty much futile. By the same token, letting myself be affected by others' actions is also counter-productive.

From now on (if possible) I'll cache the way I cache which lately is not caching for a week or so (or half a week) and then going after 5 to 10 in a day. Guess it's the Scotch in me that wants to make that drive worthwhile. ON the other hand, a 30 mile drive for one or two isn't bad either.

So, expect a "kinder, gentler" cacher (for a while anyway !) in the weeks to come.

Fizzy....

I've always had trouble with pivot tables...guess I haven't given them enough of my time. But even given that, since I would have to enter almost 400 caches into an Excel database first (with all the attendant detail) I think this MIGHT be low on my list of "things to do by a certain date".

It IS interesting though to see the pivot table breakout. In my head I have an idea of the number of virtuals, locationless, "normal" caches I have found and that will have to do me for awhile.

One thing about this aspect of our hobby is that it is FREE except for the time involved. Mike Morris is tempting me to look at the plug-in gps for Handspring Visors ! Since I already have 2 gps devices, I doubt I need a third!

Finally, dear readers, Fizzy in particular...your idea about caches in other countries is intriguing, but MOST people don't even have the reason to travel out of state as much as you do, let alone out of country.

Also, when visiting another country I would certainly tote the gps along, but I have a feeling there would be other things to do along the "Via Casilla's" of the world rather than looking at my little yellow etrex. icon_smile.gif

Enough philosophizing for now...I think I hear a garage project calling....caching related of course. icon_wink.gif

Ron...

I didn't enter most of the data by hand. I generated a Pocket Query and used the .loc files to generate most of the data automatically. I did have to enter the dates and states by hand.

If you just wait a little, geocaching.com will be updating their result format to the new GPX format. It is a much more detailed XML format than the current .loc files (which are also XML). I've already written a Perl script that parses the XML in the .loc files; it will be easy to update once the GPX files become available.

At that point, you (or I, for you) will be able to generate the Excel spreadsheet in question completely automatically, and you can play with the data to your heart's content!

The longer I live the more I realize I don't know.

The loc file approach sounds doable even for me. I might give that a try as Jeremy's GPX is probably a ways off. Should be fun trying anyway.Now where do I fit that activity in?

I wouldn't mind doing a little data entry as most of the states part would be CA. I guess I never had a USE for pivot tables before...now maybe I do. Thanks for the nudge!

Ron

Wait a minute...on re-reading your post, I think I'm seeing that you need your perl script to extract the data from the loc file to excel. If that's the case, then I WILL have to wait on Jeremy. Still, intriguing idea to further quantify our hobby.

You can always have my Perl script! Or, if you want, you can send me a .loc file and I'll turn it into an Excel spreadsheet for you.

On another note...

I was thinking about your thought that doing geocaches in strange places would result in looking at your Etrex instead of the scenery. I have found exactly the opposite. Last week while I was in Maine I saw some of the most spectacular country possible while geocaching. In fact, we found two great parks near my brother's house that he didn't even know about. And that's saying something if you know my brother!

Anyway, the point is that geocaching done right can enhance a visit to a new place rather than detract from it.

...if you could email me and attach the Perl script I would really appreciate it. I need something new to occupy my time! I also find that once I see some script, I have an easier time learning how to do it myself, so that would be an added benefit. I think Brian used a Perl script to access Jeremy's database for his palmable stuff.

I don't know exactly what "watching my etrex" reference I made that you are now referring too, but if it was the "spider cache", I meant that while wandering around right at the cache site, I was torn between watching my footing (to avoid a tumble down a bank) and looking at the etrex for guidance to the cache.

I absolutely agree with you that the geocaching takes us to new places that we wouldn't othewise enjoy. The steep cache at Berryessa is an excellent example. While I wouldn't do that particular hike again, I "discovered" the trail that runs up the canyon and I WILL go back to that one.

I must be having "senior moments"...after posting this I reread your post about "scenery" again and realize you might have been talking about "other country" experiences. Yes, that would certainly be true too...it's funny how just going to some coordinates (whether Tracy or France) can lead you to some interesting sights.

I was in Scotland a couple of years ago (before geocaching) and while most of the people on the bus tour I was on (with my better half Marilyn) went to a Scottish dinner and exhibition, we headed toward the little nearby town...walking of course...it started sprinkling a bit but that didn't deter us and when we lost our way, a little old Scottish lady who was out walking helped us out. She directed us to a lovely little lane with overhanging trees and a staircase of 100 steps that took us down to the waterfront town with cobblestone streets and wonderful little inns. I will always remember that trip.

Thanks for sending the Perl and extending my knowledge. Back to the garage project before heading to work at 2.

Ron

...hard to tear myself away from the computer.

Just got this cache find post which has added yet another reason to my list for enjoying caching.

Team C.H.U.M.P. has added a log to your cache (Skippy). You can visit the cache at the following link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1292

User comments:

One of my favorite things about geocaching is finding caches that haven't been found in a long time. Over 3 months for this one, AND one of Arizona's oldest! Stopped by on the way back from Prescott. An interesting area, we stopped at the cemetary too (after finding the cache of course!) Cache is in good shape, but the cache name eluded me until then - [icon_biggrin.gif]! Traded a folded towel for a cable clamp and headed out towards Wickenburg - a great way to end the weekend.

Thanks!

Keep on caching everyone...we're making history for future cachers....one cache at a time !

Ron

...I got your email and the attachment and sent you a response.

School makes people tired? It does me. I taught (monitored and assisted really) from 2:30 to 9 today and the "old-timers" kept me busy.

I have students from their early 20's to early 80's with many of them in their 40's to 60's. Many are first time computer users, so it's a challenge sometimes.

Ron

School today certainly wore me out, but I was also up very early to start work before I had to leave for school. That, combined with sitting in a lab and listening to someone drone for 3.25 hours, made me want to run home and jump in bed! At least I only have Mr. Monotone twice per week for a total of 8.5 hours per week..wooohooooo!!!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

I'd take a classroom of people over 20 years old any day! At least most of them WANT to learn. Try 4 blocks of high school students (120 kids) with a classroom of computers that keep going down. Now THATS tiring.

I had to redo my seating chart today because I sat 2 kids from two different gangs together. You learn something new everyday. I learned you have to make sure the kids with RED shoe laces (gang #1) don't sit next to the kids with BLUE shoe laces. (gang #2)

KURTULEAS

....Two years ago I took on a teaching assigment that involved 4 hours a day teaching adults, and 2 hours a day teaching high-schoolers to repair computers.

It was great the first year. I only had about 12 teens in the repair class.

The next year I was to teach 3 one-hour sections of basic internet and web-page development to highschoolers. I was placed in a small, narrow room with 18 old Apple computers, 30 students in each section. I also had a section of repair with 25 students.

I retired after 2 weeks ! I couldn't take it ! I had taught at Heald Business College for 13 years and the students there were mostly 18 to 23, but even though they were paying big tuition, a fair number of them were there because mom and dad wanted it. There were good students too of course.

But now, I wouldn't trade my adults. You are right...they are ALL there because they want to learn.

My hat is off to you, George, Mary and any other teachers of young people I may have forgotten. You all earn your salaries every day.

Ron

I've been teaching 2 nights a week at Heald Hayward for the past 2 yrs. (I am on a break for a quarter because we just had a baby), and those students are a DREAM to teach. The best part of it is that if a computer goes down, the IT dept. fixes it for you right away. At my high school if a computer goes down i'm SOL and the poor kid has to sit there if I can't fix it.

BTW

I took my freshman wheel class (geography) on a mini-geocaching hunt around our school to teach LAT & LONG. They loved it, but it was tough with just 1 GPS

KURTULEAS

It's easy to control my students when I'm teaching. If they get out of line then I just go inverted or put it into a steep dive towards the ground or I could just spin it or do all three. They straiten right up after this. icon_biggrin.gif Hope everyone has a good work day. Mike

I think it depends on the size of the shackle lift. I've seen shackle lifts from 1 1/2 to 3 inches. How big did you go? ( I hope you bought Con-ferrs) I know those new revolving shackles need bigger shocks. I'd just put them on and see how your ride is first, if you need a kidney belt you proubly need new shocks.

Then again you can save your time and effort and buy MY jeep icon_wink.gif (7 inches total lift!!)

Didn't you put a body lift on too? If you did doulbe check all your hoses and wires under the hood. When I put mine on, I stretched the hose leading to my power streering pump and it broke the plastic resivor.

KURTULEAS

I put on 1.5 inch shackles, I havent put on the body lift yet. The body lift will be 3 inches. The shackles are con fers. If I had the money I would buy your jeep today. I have been druling over the picture you have of it on that rock. If I could sell my jeep in the next couple of day I would get yours. Talk to you soon. Mike

George and I can feel your pain. We both were complaining of being tired our first week back.

I teach 180 lovely 8th grade boys and girls. It is always a pleasure to enter the classroom knowing that they are prepared for school and are ready to learn. Wait that was my dream last night.

Teaching is always challenging, but so is being a student. It is really hard to be a student when the teacher makes the material dead on boring.

mary

5867_200.gif

I understand your pain of going back to school. icon_frown.gif I teach first grade and we started back to school in July!!! I love going off track when everyone else is going back to school. icon_wink.gif(The advantage of teaching at a year 'round school.) I have a huge grin on my face just reading and feeling for you all. icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif I love teaching five and six year olds!!!! They love school, the teacher and everything they do. I have great respect for anyone who teaches student older than fourth graders! Good luck on a great school year!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Carolyn

Hey Mike, If you need help putting on that body lift let me know. It should only take you about 1 1/2 hours. The only hard part is when you jack up the body from the frame, you have to make sure all the wires and hoses under the hood don't streach out too much.

I'm buying one of those new Jeep Wrangler RUBICONS!! Dana 44 axles, 4-1 transfercase, front and rear lockers.....all factory icon_wink.gif (and under warrenty) That way I can hide some caches WAY up in the hills. In November I'm gonna try to do Deer Creek 4x4 trail and place 4-5 caches on it.

KURTULEAS

Since a lot of the central valley "regulars" can't attend the BBQ on the 14th, I want to postpone it to a date that seems a little better for most people. If I could get notes from everyone on the cache page, or emails (randy@jamzcheer.com) with everyone's "best dates" I'll try to accomodate as many people as possible!

Thanks!

Randy

I am back to work too! Though life at Downey is more interesting when you teach science! In fact we had the coroner on campus today to pick up a body. We had a human skeleton that has been at TDHS probably for 50 years and it was falling apart. You touch it and the fingers came off, the chest cavity was broken, teeth were falling out of the head. Definitely something you could not leave in a dumpster so the coroner came out and took it away in a body bag. It was interesting the looks she got as she went down the hallway as she headed to the wagon parked out front.

Sherrie