Is it okay to require driving for an Adventure Lab?

jeffgamer

I want to put together my adventure lab as early as tomorrow (if I can get it done before month's end, I can get a second one).  I want to take players to five different cool animal/nature-themed areas, but they are not walking distance...the total range would be about 15 miles.  The RECOMMENDATION on the instructions is that walking distance is preferred...but would what I have in mind still be okay?

Sure!  I just made mine public today, and it is about 10 miles in a loop around the local area.  I mention in the description that it takes you  "on a lesiurely drive"  - the best way to get to these backroad destinations is to drive (or possibly bicycle).  Walking would be quite ambitious!

We've done several that ARE walking, around a park or a college campus, but we've done some that are better done by driving to the locations.  It's up to you!  Have fun with it, and I hope you do get it online and live by the end of the month.

1 hour ago, jeffgamer said:

I want to put together my adventure lab as early as tomorrow (if I can get it done before month's end, I can get a second one).  I want to take players to five different cool animal/nature-themed areas, but they are not walking distance...the total range would be about 15 miles.  The RECOMMENDATION on the instructions is that walking distance is preferred...but would what I have in mind still be okay?

I think others will be able to see from the waypoints on the adventure lab how far the locations will take them. I do like the suggestion of giving an approximate distance in the description. I think 15 mi is quite reasonable.

• Helpful 1
19 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:
44 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

10 miles

Hopefully you mention this detail in the writeu

3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I do like the suggestion of giving an approximate distance in the description.

Advice taken, and distance added with a time given (by car).  Thankfully, minor edits like this are quick and easy!  Thanks for your suggestions!

• Love 1

Yes. Create a journey that truly is an adventure. The description should include the aprox distance and how long it should take to complete. Mine is a 10 mile drive down an old historic road, visiting ghost towns, pioneer cemeteries and a nature reserve. I was surprised at the good cell service in most of my preferred locations.

I did the 'traditional' town history walkabout for my first, but have decided on a proper adventure for the next one.  I have one roughed out that will definitely require some driving to a few places, starting at the scene of the crime and ending at the county jail, with a couple of stops (including the courthouse) in between.  Along the way, the adventurer will pick up what I think will be a new and universally very useful skill, but especially so if they work the front end in a retail environment.

Speaking of which:

I still can't get an answer from them ('them' being those Lincoln Highway 'members' that post in this forum) as to which route they'll be taking re: Colorado.  I would consider helping them out here if they'd answer up.  As it headed E, there was a bifurcation at the NE corner of Colorado -- actually Big Springs, NE -- one leg dipping SW down through Denver, and one headed pretty much straight W along the northern border of Colorado.

Edited by ecanderson
On 11/3/2020 at 1:52 PM, Max and 99 said:

To answer the OP: I recently completed an adventure lab that required over an hour driving just between two of the stages. I would not want to do many of those. 

But at least you could take two smiley for that long drive...just saying.

• Surprised 1
On 11/3/2020 at 10:52 AM, Max and 99 said:

To answer the OP: I recently completed an adventure lab that required over an hour driving just between two of the stages. I would not want to do many of those. 

Mine takes less than an hour to complete, it DOES involve driving (or possibly biking) and I do mention that in the description.  Out of the 9 completions and 8 reviews, I've had a couple of negative comments on the driving involved.  Seems folks just want it quick and simple...

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Mine takes less than an hour to complete, it DOES involve driving (or possibly biking) and I do mention that in the description.  Out of the 9 completions and 8 reviews, I've had a couple of negative comments on the driving involved.  Seems folks just want it quick and simple...

Is your ALs must be done in order and some backtracking required for a bonus? People in your area want their +5 quick that bad?

Driving ALs is the norm in my area. Some spread over hundreds of km. Only a handful can be done walking.

20 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

Is your ALs must be done in order and some backtracking required for a bonus?

No, it doesn't have to be done sequentially, and there is no bonus (just some caches nearby the locations of the adventure lab).  I even got one "minus half a point for no bonus cache" log!  You can't please everyone, and others have enjoyed it, it seems.  Some just want easy.