Sign in to follow this  
Followers 5
fbax

BUG: Total find count - error!

See attached screenshot. Total caches found appears three times; two of them (17888) are WRONG!! 17889 is correct.
Check my statistics page to see calendar also reports 17889 find; which matches my personal counting system.

GC_Bug.jpg

Posted (edited)

Probably the same here. I run GSAK database with my finds for 6 years and today I've found the total finds count doesn't equal to the webpage total finds count. I"m also missing one find on GC page. I thought some find it log of mine was deleted and wanted to ask here how can I find my deleted FI logs. And I see someone esle is also experiencing the same problem, so maybe something's wrong on GC webpage?

EDIT: I've just checked my total finds count on Project-GC and there is correct information, the same as in my GSAK database. There's definitely something wrong on GC web.

Another find out: Despite this error has to be current, all of my last finds are calculated correctly in the Memory lane game.

Edited by kovbojkáči

I also encountered this problem a few times (after FI log the find was not added to the total).

However, it was always enough to wait a few minutes and the number of findings was eventually updated to the correct number. Hard to say what the cause is.

• Upvote 1

Hey fbax!

I have the same issue, and I'm pretty it's due to a find log on a retracted cache listing. If it's retracted, the API can't access it. So my find count it +1, my Find history doesn't include the cache, my statistics are +1, my Project-GC count is short, my PQ is +1, but once in GSAK I can't download the GPX or update via API because they're inaccessible.  It's odd because some stats are based on the Find Log and some are based on the cache listing.

Either way, there's an inconsistency, and I'm betting you have a Find log on a retracted cache listing.

• Helpful 1

10 hours ago, bandita007 said:

I also encountered this problem a few times (after FI log the find was not added to the total).

However, it was always enough to wait a few minutes and the number of findings was eventually updated to the correct number. Hard to say what the cause is.

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.  Within a few minutes it corrected itself.  @thebruce0 it was not a retracted cache listing.  Only happened once and has been fine since.

2 hours ago, Twinklekitkat said:

@thebruce0 it was not a retracted cache listing.  Only happened once and has been fine since.

Good to know it fixed itself for you.

Let's see if it's fixed itself for fbax...

The number of finds is not displayed correctly via the browser. The last find is always missing.
But if you change the time zone in your profile settings for a short time, everything will be displayed correctly again.

7 hours ago, Rozenrod said:

The number of finds is not displayed correctly via the browser. The last find is always missing.

I still stand by my explanation above of the issues with my find counts.

Posted (edited)

@thebruce0

Geocaching.com handles the find on a retracted cache just fine.  I have one, and it's counted by everywhere in this site's stats correctly. As one of the total number of finds, of the particular D/T, type,  date of find, etc.  I have the full gpx of the cache page in GSAK from a download of a MyFinds PQ. 

You are correct that API partners can't access it, so stats generated on other sites are blind to it.

Generally when people come here complaining about finds off as shown on different modules within Geocaching.com  they just need to wait.   Cats in the server room - hamsters aren't preforming and server sync suffers.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

15 minutes ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Geocaching.com handles the find on a retracted cache just fine.  I have one, and it's counted by everywhere in this site's stats correctly. As one of the total number of finds, of the particular D/T, type,  date of find, etc.  I have the full gpx of the cache page in GSAK from a download of a MyFinds PQ. 

Yes, everything as I described.

You are correct that API partners can't access it, so stats generated on other sites are blind to it.

Yep.

Generally when people come here complaining about finds off as shown on different modules within Geocaching.com  they just need to wait.   Cats in the server room - hamsters aren't preforming and server sync suffers.

Yep, that is a resolution. I gave an example of a statistical inconsistency that was relevant to the topic - however I will cede that in my case the three cited count locations shown in the OP are consistent with each other, so the stats counting bug I have isn't the same as the known delay with the internal gc.com count synchronization.

There's even a difference between the header and the profile section on geocaching.com (see screenshot below):

• the header total finds doesn't include the last geocache that I logged a few minutes ago;
  • the Official Geocaching app aswell doesn't update the total finds count in profile.

image.png.b8019de95d0b4fa78c9cc77925ff0f22.png

These two numbers while referring to the same thing are pulled in differently and sometimes there may be a small delay between them. If in doubt wait a little while and it should resolve itself.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Mine counts have been off by over two months now and haven't automatically corrected themselves.  My MyFinds query matches my found database in GSAK everytime but neither the numbers at the top of my profile nor the counts elsewhere match.  My GC.com stats show I have one less mystery find than I have in GSAK and MyFinds query.

@Nothereeither That sounds unrelated to what is covered in this thread.. Once you determine which cache is missing, please send us an email through our Help Center and we can take another look.

It could be that you have found a cache that was since retracted for some reason and is missing in your stats on the website but is returned as found through the API (GSAK). If so, there is no fix for that.

• Helpful 1