Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CAVinoGal

Posting instructions question

Recommended Posts

I read the requirements and instructions for posting a waymark in the Wineries category.  A lot of info but it's all easy enough to gather.  But, one of the "rules" says "You must visit and visit any winery you are entering. If it is determined that you did not visit it, your entry will be removed. Employees and owners are not allowed to enter their own winery

 

I pour wine and help out at a Wine Cooperative - a tasting room with 3 wineries represented; one makes the wines on the site, the others make the wine elsewhere but pour and distribute it through the Cooperative. Technically. I'm not an employee - I do get a substantial discount on purchases and occasionally am "gifted" a bottle or two of wine.  I have business cards that state I am a Tasting Room Associate for one of the wineries (the building owners and the ones that make the wine on site) that open doors at other wineries.  Would this mean I can't create a waymark for the Wine Coop, or any of the three wineries associated with the place?

 

Visiting and gathering the photos and information may be a challenge until tasting rooms are open again, but I surely look forward to giving this category some new waymarks!!  I'm surprised how few waymarks there are in this Napa/Sonoma region!  I've got my work cut out for me!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

I read the requirements and instructions for posting a waymark in the Wineries category.  A lot of info but it's all easy enough to gather.  But, one of the "rules" says "You must visit and visit any winery you are entering. If it is determined that you did not visit it, your entry will be removed. Employees and owners are not allowed to enter their own winery

 

I pour wine and help out at a Wine Cooperative - a tasting room with 3 wineries represented; one makes the wines on the site, the others make the wine elsewhere but pour and distribute it through the Cooperative. Technically. I'm not an employee - I do get a substantial discount on purchases and occasionally am "gifted" a bottle or two of wine.  I have business cards that state I am a Tasting Room Associate for one of the wineries (the building owners and the ones that make the wine on site) that open doors at other wineries.  Would this mean I can't create a waymark for the Wine Coop, or any of the three wineries associated with the place?

 

Visiting and gathering the photos and information may be a challenge until tasting rooms are open again, but I surely look forward to giving this category some new waymarks!!  I'm surprised how few waymarks there are in this Napa/Sonoma region!  I've got my work cut out for me!

Let me suggest this, especially if you plan to post a boat load of waymarks into this Wineries category.  I would actually join the category as a member.  Find the Wineries Category, Click Show Category, Click Show Additional Information, (you may have to click show category again) and click Join Group.  Once you do, you will have access to see who the officers are.  Up in the Upper left hand Corner you should see where it says Managed by: Wineries.  Click the link and it should give you a link to the officers.  In this group, it looks like everyone is active by their last logon date.  I would message the leader - RakeInTheCache with your specific question, or any of the other officers. 

The problem with asking a specific question about a category in the forums, especially a detailed one like this, you may get the wrong answer from someone who isn't an officer of the category.  With this being your first posting, we (the Waymarking community) really want it to be as smooth as possible.  That said, please don't be surprised if your waymark doesn't come back for corrections the first time around.  It's nothing personal; don't get angry or frustrated - see what the problem is and correct it.  Even after 15 years I still get declined waymarks and have to make corrections  The wineries category appears to be one of the tougher categories - if you can master this one, you can master 99% of the others!

The best advice I ever got was from the late BruceS - a legend here in Waymarking.  Remember, you are trying to make an interesting waymark - what makes it unique from the others of the category - you basically want to sell your waymark to others so they will want to visit.  Good luck on your first waymark - I hope to hear how it goes!

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, iconions said:

Let me suggest this, especially if you plan to post a boat load of waymarks into this Wineries category.  I would actually join the category as a member.  Find the Wineries Category, Click Show Category, Click Show Additional Information, (you may have to click show category again) and click Join Group.  Once you do, you will have access to see who the officers are.  Up in the Upper left hand Corner you should see where it says Managed by: Wineries.  Click the link and it should give you a link to the officers.  In this group, it looks like everyone is active by their last logon date.  I would message the leader - RakeInTheCache with your specific question, or any of the other officers. 

 

First, I don't know about  a "boatload" of waymarks - but there are a lot I COULD do!  Second, I did join the group, and I see you are also a member.  I sent an email with my question to RakeInTheCache as well.  I can't do much until the tasting rooms open again - maybe get a few started and fill in the details later once I can visit again.

25 minutes ago, iconions said:

The best advice I ever got was from the late BruceS - a legend here in Waymarking.  Remember, you are trying to make an interesting waymark - what makes it unique from the others of the category - you basically want to sell your waymark to others so they will want to visit.  Good luck on your first waymark - I hope to hear how it goes!

I've actually submitted 2 today, for new restaurants near me - - "practice" so to speak as I don't intend to waymark many more chain restaurants.  Wineries?  Another ball game altogether!

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

 

First, I don't know about  a "boatload" of waymarks - but there are a lot I COULD do!  Second, I did join the group, and I see you are also a member.  I sent an email with my question to RakeInTheCache as well.  I can't do much until the tasting rooms open again - maybe get a few started and fill in the details later once I can visit again.

I've actually submitted 2 today, for new restaurants near me - - "practice" so to speak as I don't intend to waymark many more chain restaurants.  Wineries?  Another ball game altogether!

Like I said before, I've posted 4 McDonalds in 15 years - not my favorite, but a great place to get your feet wet. 
Again, there are different sizes of boats - dinghys, bassboats, johnboats, all the way up to ocean going yachts.  See, boatload is relative.  Hopefully, with your interest in the wineries, it is the yacht size boatload...

Now, with your wineries, are they large enough for a Wikipedia entry?  Do they have a Bell, an old water pump, old agricultural equipment on display?  Do they have wifi?  Are they on the National Register of Historic Places?  Do they have a fancy Neon Sign?  
Again, a lot of times, one place you can waymark actually has MANY waymarks there.  If you can, try to keep an eye out for other things - easier said when you get a lot more experience.  Trust me - I have gotten home and seen several waymarks I missed.  Again, good luck, do not hesitate to ask questions.  

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, iconions said:

Again, there are different sizes of boats - dinghys, bassboats, johnboats, all the way up to ocean going yachts.  See, boatload is relative.  Hopefully, with your interest in the wineries, it is the yacht size boatload...

This made me laugh!  I'll start out with maybe the bass boat (my brother is an avid bass fisherman so that would be appropriate) and see where it goes!

 

11 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

and find out what a kugel ball is, so you can waymark it when you see one!

I had to google that one - now I know what it is and I have never seen one that I can recall.  If I did I didn't realize at the time that's what it was!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/21/2020 at 8:04 AM, CAVinoGal said:

This made me laugh!  I'll start out with maybe the bass boat (my brother is an avid bass fisherman so that would be appropriate) and see where it goes!

 

I had to google that one - now I know what it is and I have never seen one that I can recall.  If I did I didn't realize at the time that's what it was!

 

If you've ever been to Disneyland, there's a large kugel ball in Tommorowland near Space Mountain. They are quite rare to find. Took me about 8 years to finally waymark one that hasn't been already put in the category.

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, bluesnote said:

you've ever been to Disneyland, there's a large kugel ball in Tommorowland near Space Mountain. They are quite rare to find. Took me about 8 years to finally waymark one that hasn't been already put in the category.

And I always thought they are an American thing that is hard to find here in Europe.

It took me six years to find my first one, another one for the second. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

×
×
  • Create New...