Birmingham, AL

jeff35080

Hello everyone! It's great to virtually meet all of you! Yes, bloomcru there are some great caches here for the kids icon_smile.gif In fact, I'm just an overgrown kid myself icon_smile.gif My two kids, 11 year-old son and 8 year-old daughter really enjoy going out and finding the boxes of 'treasure'. Maybe when things get a bit warmer we could plan some type of event where we could all meet. Maybe we could have it at Oak Mtn and do some Geocaching then cook some hamburgers and hotdogs icon_smile.gif Cheers!

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

My hubby and are newbies, BIG time. We've just found our first cache, but it's something I'm sure we're going to be into, especially once the weather gets warmer.

When we're more experienced, I think we'd definitely be interested in a Birmingham geocaching get-together! When I tell most folks about geocaching, their eyes just glaze over when I say words like "GPS" and "coordinates" and "hiking." Haw haw haw!

I am very familiar with the Birmingham area. My husband isn't necessarily, because he's from northeast Alabama (Scottsboro, specifically). We visit there a lot, though, so I hope we will get to find & hide some caches there, too. icon_biggrin.gif

There's not a man, woman, or child alive that doesn't enjoy a tasty beverage.

Hi there, birmingham cachers!

Are we getting together sometime soon? I'd really like that.

Bonsai, it looks like Paco is out of the question. He was picked up by theviolas from Easy Cache and they are taking him somewhere far away.... And Pudman, it was just good timing and luck that led me to the cache first! icon_smile.gif

Howdy, just started in March. Live in Fultondale, just north of B'ham (10 minutes) I noticed that there are no caches in this area of Fultondale, Gardendale but I plan on changing that in the next few weeks. God Bless

Jeff, I noticed you were a Sheriff, I teach law at McAdory. Friends with the Col. in Bess.

God bless you and your family,

Bubba

Howdy. Yep I have been really addicted. My brother-in-law (the violas) got me hooked. I wanted the travel bug from the Cahaba cache. I noticed there are NO caches in my immediate area. I am putting at least 1, maybe 2 out by next Sat in the Fultondale / Gardendale area. "the violas" live in the Pleasant Grove area where there is only 1 cache and they are putting some out by next Sat too. We want to create more N of B'ham, actually N of I-20/59. Maybe we'll see ya around. By the way, where did u get that avatar?

Bubba

I agree -- it's mostly south of town, and I live in Center Point. I've got two or three locations scouted for caches myself, and hope to place 'em soon. Got to get some of the fun up to our neck of the woods!

As for the avatar, I made it -- glad you like it! I'm a graphic artist for my "real" job.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I would really like to have a get-together before we get to those long hot days of July and August. I'm still thinking that Oak Moutain would be a great place to have it. Oak Mountain offers plenty of locations to hide a couple of event caches.

I have met some of you out on the trails and even watched some of you finding my caches icon_smile.gif

Give me a week or two and I'll see if I can get the ball rolling on organizing this event icon_smile.gif

Jeff

If you hide it, they will come....

I have found some of them and left some unfound so I can take my son and daughter with me when we do find them.

I have got a cache container that would be perfect for a event cache and might even be able to get some really good trinkets for it.

Anyways, I will get to work on the details and see if we can make this happen icon_smile.gif

Jeff

If you hide it, they will come....

Sounds like fun to me, too -- I'm all for it, but remember that a lot of people are going to Do Dah Day this Saturday, Mother's Day Sunday, and next weekend is City Stages! I'll probably be doing all of it around here -- but if I can possibly make the event whenever it is, I'll be there!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Neither have I. I haven't been to Oak Mountain in a month or more, but not to cache.

When I head as far as Pelham, it's usually one of two places -- to go diving at the quarry down there, Blue Water Adventures, or to the Woodcraft store to pick up an item I need for a woodworking project.

Joel (joefrog)

I've been keeping an eye on this topic. I have met a few of the area cachers as we were hitting the same caches. Everyone has been super friendly. I would like to see a gathering this summer also. Count me in.

Bonsai

It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness. - Charles H. Spurgeon

My fiancee and I just got our eTrex Legend on Friday, and we've found two of the three caches we've gone hunting for this weekend (turns out the other one was underwater from the flooding, and probably long gone now).

We're very excited about our new hobby. We now have a reason to get out of the house on the weekends! We're keeping a photojournal of all of our finds (http://idlemindsradio.com/geocaching/), so if you ever see this goofy pair of people wandering around, feel free to come up and say hello.

B'ham Cachers...Do any of you know Lwholesell from Hoover. He is a car dealer according to his profile. He picked up a Travel Bug that I brought over from Peurto Rico a few months ago. I have e-mailed him many times to encourage him to keep the bug moving, But he hasn't placed it or logged any caches lately. It hate to see a good bug go to waste. If you know him, Please ask him to move it along or do as I have and offer to go pick it up. Thanks if you can help out.

It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness. - Charles H. Spurgeon

I've "spoken" to him via email once, seemed to be a nice (albeit very busy) guy. He is indeed in the car business, and does a lot of travelling. I'll see if I can find his email.

Joel (joefrog)

In Montgomery here... we've got a fair number of cachers in the neighborhood, I know two of them already! Have emailed with joefrog a couple of times, he mentioned the Oak Mountain get together, I'm looking forward to it - any update on that?

Jocosa

PS -Pudman&Pookie2: my hometown is Carbon Hill... icon_wink.gif

Greetings everyone. I haven't forgotten about the "get together". Joe frog and I talked about it back in June. It was really Jeff35080's idea, we just wanted to volunteer our services to him to help get this gathering going. I figure we all are just waiting to cooler temps and less TICKS. I have noticed that the amount of caching has dwindled during the summer. Since this is my first year to be involved with the sport, I just figured this was natural and that fall and spring are peak caching seasons. Jeff mentioned he wanted to wait after little league season and that he was going to plan a schedule. Let me know what I can do to help. Feel free to e-mail me.

Team Bubba Cache

AMEN to COOLER weather and LESS TICKS!!

We are ready for fall, too....bow hunting, deer hunting, dove hunting, duck hunting, cache hunting....yeah, CACHE HUNTING! Thats what this topic was about!!

Let us know how we can help with the meeting....

PS:Jocosa, know any Embergs or Jacksons from CH?

There used to be some Jacksons lived across the road from my grandmother... little bumpy road off the Nauvoo Road... I played with one of the girls that lived there when I was a kid.. I think her sister was killed in a wreck sometime ago... anyways, don't know if that rings a bell with y'all (without naming names!)

Sure does! Their mother (Pookie's Aunt)just recently died, too.

Man, what a small world!

Maybe we'll see ya at this gathering or we can meet up sometime when I'm heading to the hunting camp down there...

By the way, why does your profile read Shewolfen?

Pudman

Man! I hadn't heard about Miss Peggy passing... not much of the old neighborhood left, especially after the torndao!

shewolfen is one of two screennames I used to use all the time, but have recently started moving toward Jocosa... (my SCA name). It doesn't get near as many weird inquiries... icon_smile.gif

Gonna try to make to the Oak Mtn bash... hope to meet y'all then too!

WELCOME icon_biggrin.gif

Always great to hear of new people joining the sport.It is a great city to cache in. Evveryone I have meet or talked with is super nice. Please let me know if you need any help. Be glad to. I have only been caching since March, so still somewhat new. Be safe, you'll have a blast. God Bless

"Freedom is never given, it is won" A. Phillip Randolph

God bless